• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

sketchup header

aussyvolvo

Will stalk for money
well I got google sketchup recently, and I'm loving it.

so the other night, I started making a header for fun, but I dont think I have the engine bay dimentions right. has anyone else made a volvo engine bay?

extractorspic.jpg

i have not drawn up a virtual bay but i have made measurments for clearences for my design. looking at yours, its' either optimized for a rear-placed turbocharger with a large volume exhaust housing or you plan on using a couple baffled mufflers or the downstream exhaust. you rock mate.

just extractors, if you could put a photo of an engine bay in paint and draw lines were you mesured and put numbers please :-)

btw sketchup is free if you dont go pro, and with out it I was able to make this anyway, and if you want, I can give you a few models of bends that you can use in your own engine models ect.

I may make a turbo header for you guys to look at if you want?

That computer mock-up is OK, but you better go back outside and have a look mate! :-P

Reason is, you have the steering shaft going right through there on a RHD car, space on the driver's side is very tight.

I had to seriously rebuild a LHD 3" downpipe to make it good, and remember these engines also move around a fair bit under power, so you need good clearances and/or stiff engine mounts or bracing.

Good luck.

That computer mock-up is OK, but you better go back outside and have a look mate! :-P

Reason is, you have the steering shaft going right through there on a RHD car, space on the driver's side is very tight.

I had to seriously rebuild a LHD 3" downpipe to make it good, and remember these engines also move around a fair bit under power, so you need good clearances and/or stiff engine mounts or bracing.

Good luck.

AAHHHH GAAAAA WAAAAAA!!!!!!!! UGGGGGGG~!#$!~~~!~!!!!!!!! I forgot the dam anoying steering shaft~!@#$@#!%!$#^@^& that was the main problem on my practice one with the new pipe bender :grrr:

well I did a bit more playing with this program, and while I'm getting the car running properly, I'm going to keep the auto, to aviod one more thing to think about.
but I want a little more controll, so I decided to mock up a tiptronic "styled", though I just herd of B&m today o_O

anyway, the thing that rotates on the trans will be the little gear that is to the right.

3dshifter01.jpg

the way it works is the shifter lever will move the long arm thing that is pushed down onto the gear, and will catch on the gear and move in the same direction.

The heardest thing I had to get around was with most my ideas, was when the lever moves back to center, it puts the gear back to were it was :-P but on this one, the arm will skim over when the lever goes back to center....

so what I also want to ask is if anyone can see a flaw? or can help with an easier way... if not, I will start making this probably in the next few weeks.

Back