• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Blown up bottom end

Poisunes

So I sell this car to a kid at work because he blew up his last car, a little corolla. So this car is one of the spares, and I say what the hell, why not. I put the car to all stock, and away it goes. Three days later, this happens. He says he was just in third at three grand and boom.

5c46bb7b.jpg

I pushed the piston back down into the cylinder
901fe9ec.jpg

The pass side is just as bad as the drivers side.

i realy doubt it was the kids fault, unless it shows signs of poor oiling, poor cooling ect. was this na?

If not outta oil, he was revin' more than 3 grand.:nod: I've revved my 79 245 to 5800-6000 every day for 6 years,& it's got over 500,000 OEM miles on it and all the rods,piston,bearings are all still AOK.
That kid is lying . Did the other car throw a rod? Bet it did or was run outta oil.

That cylinder looks awfully dry don't it?
for that matter, there is no fresh looking oil around that hole in the side. That woulda sprayed some if there was oil in it.

Im a rev junkie as well and have run my cars to the redline quite frequently and maybe a little past it once in a while. Good oil and proper maintenance and no probs yet.

BTW that piston is cracked all the way across. Looks like right through the pin hole. My guess is a piston pin seized up from heat and no oil, piston cracked, and rod let go. Insta kool-aid man.

for that matter, there is no fresh looking oil around that hole in the side. That woulda sprayed some if there was oil in it.

Im a rev junkie as well and have run my cars to the redline quite frequently and maybe a little past it once in a while. Good oil and proper maintenance and no probs yet.

BTW that piston is cracked all the way across. Looks like right through the pin hole. My guess is a piston pin seized up from heat and no oil, piston cracked, and rod let go. Insta kool-aid man.

How do you run a car out of oil in 3 days unless it had massive leaks the OP didn't know about or didn't tell the kid.

I just worked out that 3000 in third would be 4729 if he downshifted to 2nd and a whopping 8824 in first. Maybe he missed his shift into 3rd from second and got first.

Just put a block under the pedal next time you lend it to him. Lets see you hoon it with half throttle max....

that matter, there is no fresh looking oil around that hole in the side. That woulda sprayed some if there was oil in it.

I noticed that too. Did the kid have the car long enough to run all the oil out of it? Sure looks like it was bone dry.

Maybe some "Maintenance Instruction" would benefit the kid, early in life, so as not to do this to all cars he buys?

He ran it outta oil and probably ran it hard to do it.

Back