• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Cut my IPD springs. Yes or No?

C

CaptainWhoosh

The car is an '81 242 turbo. And the suspension is getting redone while Im out here in Afghanistan. I am replacing all the bushings under the car with Poly, adding IPD sways, torque rods, and panhard bar. Also I will be running 17" wheels with 28/32 spacers, with the Titans for now.

My question is...I want to car to sit lower, but should I cut the IPD lowering springs it has? or find some stock springs and cut them? Also, will stock shocks/ struts survive being lower than it is now? Im only slightly concerned with ride comfort, but more concerned with cutting up a nice set of springs, if I might see the same/better results from some stock JY ones. Here is the picture of the car as it sits with the titans on, and Id like to see the car at least 1" lower all around. If anyone is handy with photoshop and could lower the car some, that would be appreciated also!

RR3030.jpg

are you worried about the resale value of the ipd springs? Try to sell them and get coilovers :e-shrug:

It looks like a dam clean 242

Thanks!
Im mostly wondering if there is any advantage/disadvantage to using some cut stock springs like spring rate/ ride quality? Might be a pointless question, bu that why Im asking lol. I know there is a lot of suspension knowledge on this board. I f I went with stock springs i would just keep the IPD's for another 240.

=) got the same set-up. Also need to lower alot more.... But here in europe no coilovers for a good price )=
Maybe i schould move to america !

cut 2 coils off my IPD springs... they ride nicely since i paired them with bilstein hd's from a suburban in the back. but i didnt plan on reselling the springs when i finally go over to coil overs.

Well here is my Diesel 240 that I cut 2.5 coils in the front. Not all diesels had larger spring coil diameter to let you know. Mine is a 85 so maybe anything 83-85 will have the larger diameter coils. Also I don't think the rears are different between the gasser and the diesels. So you would need only the fronts not the rears.

DSCF00961-1.jpg

Well here is my Diesel 240 that I cut 2.5 coils in the front. Not all diesels had larger spring coil diameter to let you know. Mine is a 85 so maybe anything 83-85 will have the larger diameter coils. Also I don't think the rears are different between the gasser and the diesels. So you would need only the fronts not the rears.

DSCF00961-1.jpg

What tyres sizes do you have on your diesel? Looks perfect!

Back