• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Replacing my 940 steelies with Volvo or Aftermarket wheels?

dcsmrgun

Well, today I went to investigate a squeaking in my passenger front wheel and found that the hubcap was hanging by a thread. This not four days after I found the driver side hubcap hanging by a thread and removed it. In both cases a few of the much touted metal retaining clips had just snapped. This is a replacement set that I paid $45 for not more than a month ago. I'm now debating driving around on my steelies for a while until I can find a good set of wheels to replace them, versus getting another pair of caps and having them fail again.

What do I need to know when buying wheels for my 93 940? All I know about wheels is that they look different and go under your car. Will any 5 bolt wheel bolt onto the wagon, or is it more specific than that?

I'd like to find a nice set of stock turbo wheels, but pickings seem to be slim here in Tampa, FL. I'm also not completely joined at the hip of the idea of OEM volvo wheels. I'll put on aftermarket so long as it doesn't make my car look like a bling bling clowncar.

So I guess I'm not really sure what I want to do with the wheels right now. Still up in the air, and I'm just checking to see what my options are, and what I'm limited to with my choice of vehicle.

Not any 5 bolt will work with these cars, in fact the pattern is somewhat rare to find in afterarket wheels, but I'll let someone more knowledgable on this topic deal with the specifics. I do know that www.tirerack.com sells rims and I think the few they have look good one the 940's especially the Borbets.

Wow! Holy crap, those do look great, and the price is right up my alley.

If I get 15x7s, would the tires off the steelies transfer over, or do wheels like these take different tires?

Thanks for the lead!

Would a set of Dracos fit my '93 940? The car is ABS equipped, I'm not sure if that matters. I think they'd be coming off of a 240.

oops, I mean Virgos, not Dracos.

And they may be ugly, but they're better looking than my black steelies. Anyway, I kinda like them. Utilitarian looking, like my plain 940 wagon ;)

So Virgos are Ok as well than, sizewise?

DoubleV said:
I don't think ABS Calipers clear Virgos up front. Can someone back me up?

After some searching (which I should have done from the get go) it looks like you're right. I guess I'm back to square one. Figures, cheap wheels and I can't get them :(

Back