• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My 142

joel142

I thought I might as well jump on the bandwagon as far pictures of cars go. Here's my '71 142 wearing the Canisto wheels I bought from Ardvark122. The rubber is 225 in front and 235 in back.

They fit the 142 perfectly although the grease caps are too tall in the front and I did need to roll the rear fenders. With 225s back there or an adjustable panhard rod (or both) that wouldn't have been necessary. These have FWD offsets which match the classic offset of the 140s. This will probably start-up another discussion about the relative merits of offset versus backspacing. When I was driving the car it handled great. I think the stearing is actually lighter than the 195s the previous owner had stretched over the stock 15" wheels (now that was a mistake).

I just pulled the engine last night so no more crisp handling for a while...

canisto2.jpg

Joel

SCHWEEEET!! If that were mine, I wouldn't change a single thing...except for window tint. I like my privacy. :-P

damn that looks good, man!! good luck with your engine project and thats just a sweet car youve got... later,

ben

That's not actually rust and beige two tone. The healthy orange glow is provided by the low presure sodium lights above (marginally covered parking). I didn't really notice that before.

The car is matt gold. There is a little bit of paint on the car (under the back seats, etc...) that looks pretty nice and still has shine, however, the exterior is pretty faded/older Maco (or some such). When I rolled the fenders that stuff popped off the internal fender lip revealing the better attached original volvo paint below.

Given all the time/money I'd like to repaint it light blue.

Joel

So you're saying that modern offsets fit a 140 without spacers? If that's so how do some guys run virgos on their 140s?

God that car is gorgeous. I love it on those wheels.

joel142 said:
Given all the time/money I'd like to repaint it light blue.

Nice choice! I love that color on these. Its the only car that can really sport the light blue that damn good

zacattack said:
So you're saying that modern offsets fit a 140 without spacers? If that's so how do some guys run virgos on their 140s?
The virgo's fit great with the width difference over stock and the 20mm backspacing, things seem to line up pretty well. Minor rubbing with only 205/60's on big bumps though on a stock-height car (that actually sits at stock height after 30+ years).

zacattack said:

Lots and lots of wheel well space. Consider my progression of tire widths:

+ ~5.5 inches when the car shipped
+ ~7.6 inches when I had the 195s on the same 5.5" wide wheels
+ ~9.2 inches now and it still doesn't hit the inner fender wells, shock absorbers, etc...

setting some 205 virgos in there which are inset ~0.7 inches into the wells (via offset) shouldn't be a problem. Hav a 142 and a market flooded with FWD offset wheels is a pretty good combination...

Joel

joel142 said:
Lots and lots of wheel well space. Consider my progression of tire widths:

+ ~5.5 inches when the car shipped
+ ~7.6 inches when I had the 195s on the same 5.5" wide wheels
+ ~9.2 inches now and it still doesn't hit the inner fender wells, shock absorbers, etc...

setting some 205 virgos in there which are inset ~0.7 inches into the wells (via offset) shouldn't be a problem. Hav a 142 and a market flooded with FWD offset wheels is a pretty good combination...

Joel

So - your runnign 9.2 (235??) tires FWD wheels and no problems??

Damn - I knew a 142 was better . . .

235s in back and 225s in front. Oh and the front is double wishbone and its lighter. 140s rule, but, that's just my personal opinion :)

Joel

joel142 said:
235s in back and 225s in front. Oh and the front is double wishbone and its lighter. 140s rule, but, that's just my personal opinion :)

Joel

Damn straight. I've seen another 142 with those wheels on it, I thought it looked good. This just confirms it, and I might actually follow suit. I've thought of it before, but wasn't convinced that it looks good, but it DOES. Sweet 142 man! :cool:

Thank god you posted that pic.

I've been torn between polaris replicas or your rims for my GT. Cleared that choice right up. Bad ass ride. i have a 242 and even I agree 142 look way better. Peace.

Back