• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My finally back in a Volvo thread

cool940t

I am not very good at a build/project thread but I am going to try. I just picked up a 1983 black 240 turbo with an m46. So far I love the car probably more than the 91 940 turbo I had. I traded a 95 v6 mustang I paid $600 for to get the car, working odometer shows 148, 665. It has a gt grille, flat hood, upgraded stereo system, a 50 trim turbo, coilovers in the front, some red drop springs in the rear, and I am pretty sure a cam. I do have a few concerns questions however. The turbo is starting to go, so I have a t28 from a buddy on the way, I did the transmission mount this morning and now the driveshaft rubs the tunnel on the passenger side. I have been looking and can't seem to find to much info on the b21 or how to swap to the lh2.2 or lh2.4 and which is the better option, any help would be greatly appreciated. I have only had it 2 days still have a lot of cleaning to do. Now on to the pictures.
20130917_184517.jpg

20130917_184629.jpg

20130917_184659.jpg

20130915_170733.jpg

i dont know what the interior looks like but if the suspension is good then looks like all you might want to do is just detail the engine bay.

Sorry guys posted from my phone didnt realize I had 2 threads mods if you can merge them or dlete one that would be great thank you.

That car has really been more places than any car I know of. Andy had it running awesome when I bought it and I know Matt fixed some of the rust. Hope it's still in good shape for you. That odometer is FAR from accurate and if it says 148k then it's been swapped at some point. When I had it it would record like 1/4 of the miles you drove. Take care of those tail light lenses, they weren't cheap!

jL9QM.jpg

oWwkB.jpg

Last edited:
After looking at andys thread im not sure its the same car his shows wood trim interior this one is not. Mine doesnt have the dent on the front driver fender lioe your picture shows. The front lip is different as well. Not saying these things couldn't have been changed. If it is the same car I would like to get as much info from yall about it as possible.

It is the same car. Andy kept his wood trim when he sold it to me and Matt put the 850 lip on it after he got it from me.

I did find an ebay ad the other by searching the vin where it sold in 2010.

It was in Virginia for a while before it went out west. I think I have a Carfax here for it actually.

Ok well what do yall know about the car specifically. Are there any ideas as to why the driveshaft would now be rubbing the tunnel. The car runs good except the turbo going out, I slightly opened the wastegate to bypass it slightly untill I can get another one. It leaks oil pretty bad, idles rough but no fluctuations in rpm. I cant find near as much info on these cars as I could the 940 and when I do the pages don't work.

I've known of this car since the mid 2000's and it has been back and forth and crossed many people via TB.

A chick back east had it for awhile (Deturbinflika if I recall) then it got sold went to Utah and died there and I came across it and got it back to life. I sold it because I thought I wanted to drive a 1964 Rambler.. Otherwise I'd still be in it.

Anyways this is a car that has been everywhere. Speedo is not original for sure.

Miss that car.

Well im glad you sold it because I love the car. I should have never got rid of my 940 but it was an automatic and I cant stand driving automatics long. It has its quirks that I am fixing, have only had it 2 days and its already twice the car that it was when I picked it up. I had the window sticker even.

When I got it, it had a blown turbo and a bunch of KJet issues. I put a used T3 back on it which worked for awhile. I went through the entire KJet system and put refurbished injectors on it.

All the front lighting stuff was done by me - the generic H4's, Amber signals, fogs, etc. Replaced the steering rack , and then more or less drove it. I even towed a 744 a few hundred miles with it.

Good to see it kicking around still has to be one of the most travelled 244Ti's around here.

Thats cool to be able to find all this out. Did you just put stock injectors in it? The turbo now has shaft play, so a buddy is giving me a new t28 he has laying around. The ignition system was shot when I got it, replaced it all using using stock cap/rotor, accel coil, msd streetfire wires and ngk bpr7es I think thats the number. Runs good now. It needs shocks all around, and I need to figure out the driveshaft problem. I want to get rid of the kjet setup just not sure which way to go or how to go about it.

When I had it there was a tiny oil leak from the o-ring on the oil filter sandwich plate. I found the o-ring in the glove compartment but I never did install it. Matt changed the turbo on it a couple times so I don't even know what it ended up with. I kept it the way Andy sold it to me which was in very nice shape and stock-ish aside from gt front springs and some Ipd goodies. I actually still have the original strut assemblies from it downstairs.

It's kind of a shame. That car was a beast of a runner. Never let me down. It wasn't the K-jet that everyone bitches about here. All I did was tweak the mixture to work at my elevation and it was perfect. It handled well and then I think Matt cut the rear springs more. Do you mind me asking what you gave for it?

Jogging my memory but I thought it had Bilstein HD's up front , cut springs w/ IPD sway bars. Seemed to be solid but I can't keep track of my car **** sometimes.

I rebuilt the KJet system per-se to stock specifications as that is how it is best let be , so injectors CPR all that is as it was intended by Volvo hence why it likely still runs okay.

The intake manifold was swapped over to the B230F/T type already which is by all means no detriment to it. I like KJet alot so much so I still have a KJet 244 here!

Jogging my memory but I thought it had Bilstein HD's up front , cut springs w/ IPD sway bars. Seemed to be solid but I can't keep track of my car **** sometimes.

I rebuilt the KJet system per-se to stock specifications as that is how it is best let be , so injectors CPR all that is as it was intended by Volvo hence why it likely still runs okay.

The intake manifold was swapped over to the B230F/T type already which is by all means no detriment to it. I like KJet alot so much so I still have a KJet 244 here!

:nod:

And that fuel line I sent out to you.

Amazing how everyone on here janks it out and their cars never run right again...

I plan for a motor swap and build later and want more tunability. Its got coilovers on the front best I can tell is rsi with h&r springs in the front caster camber plates and looks like h&r springs in the rear. As far as sway bars not sure they are very dirty and havent really looked at them. Like I said I am having trouble finding much info on these cars but when I had the 940 there was tons.

Yeah it had HDs up front and uncut GT springs (I think). Rear setup was cut wagon springs and Boges I believe. I replaced a couple bushings up front as well as the tie rods and ball joints.

When Matt and I traded he wanted to keep his coilovers so I took the front strut assemblies and just stuck them in the wagon I got from him and used them for another year. Then when I parted that car the struts were still in good shape so I sold them to member Simi on here.

Back