• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Dash pic request

pisco

Cruisin' in my Longboat.
Does anyone have a line art or semi technical drawing of the later 240 dash? I'm designing a new cluster for my dash and have been looking for something fairly accurate to p-shop some ideas on. I guess a really well lit decent full pic of a dash would work as well.

To keep costs low I'm investigating using the stock instrument cluster, facing it in machined aluminum and re mounting it behind a veneered wood panel that fills the entire dash section.

Thanks!
Dom

Can you use this? I know the steering wheel is in the way, maybe you can pshop it away?

DSCF0091.JPG

The wheel obstructs the gauge cluster a bit too much. I need to have as direct a shot of the gauge cluster as possible so I can figure out how to space everything. I appreciate it though. Hey cool! I've never seen a pocket in the top slot!

pisco said:
Hey cool! I've never seen a pocket in the top slot!

Say what??? Here in Norway all 240's except the turbo has that pocket...what do you have there in the US?

Morley said:
Say what??? Here in Norway all 240's except the turbo has that pocket...what do you have there in the US?

Some have the stereo up there. I have a pocket on top too. I prefer that, because it doesn't invite theives.

That is seriously the first time I've ever seen a pocket there. Anywho... Here's a very rough idea what I'm doing on the aspirators dash. The cluster is still obscured by the wheel the idiot lights would be included. I'm going for a porsche sort of shape that is recessed and covered by a plastic sheet. All stock gauges with white faces. I'm too lazy to make the alpha spyder vents so I made black circles and I gave up on drawing the stainless trim all around the wood. Wood will be deeper red and high gloss. The basic idea is here.

wooddashcopy.jpg

turbodog said:
i don't think that speedo set-up would work. i don't think the 240 gauges are back-lit. i could be wrong...
Oh, the lighting will be awesome...The gauges will be recessed a bit, I just gave up on this rendering. I'm looking into using the plexiglass to illuminate thee gauges so it can be right up close. It will take some mild R&D. The final result will appear that the "glass" is flush with the wood by routing a groove all the way around and fitting it direcly inside the hole in the wood. Two options to go from this point...the second one is the cheapest, easiest and most likely.

Option one, the gauges will be a centimeter or so behind the "glass" which will illuminate the whole cluster. This is done by having a hidden plexiglass "ring" that surrounds the cluster with a rough side and a polished side with white led's inserted. This will give the gauge cluster a soft halo effect.
Option two is again flush "glass" then an aluminum gauge surround then an inch of space which will contain the original light. The back of the aluminum gauge surround will be painted in glow in the dark paint so that when the dash light is turned off a soft glow will remain. This second way only the gauges will be illuminated. The stock gauges on my dad's 47 Willys wagon were the inspiration for this. Can't find any pics unfortunately. The gauges look sort of like they float in the air.

I think it's got some play in it; I was able to get the binnacle about 3"-4" forward before it'd move no further (ie. nearly enough to see how the speedo cable unclips, but not quite).

Forg said:
I think it's got some play in it; I was able to get the binnacle about 3"-4" forward before it'd move no further (ie. nearly enough to see how the speedo cable unclips, but not quite).

I noticed that too on a junkyard car. This is why the second way is the most possible as the gauges will only be about 4 inches closer. Enough to get the look but still be usable. I'll do a diagram later tonight. I think I can do the whole dash for under $100.

Back