• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Swedish Black Metal: A 1991 740 SE

So, in October of 2011, having gotten a job that pays not-minimum wage, I decided that my at-the-time current DD, a 1987 744 GLE, while awesome, just wasn't Jurbo enough. So, I set about, looking for a 740, with more doors, more pedals, and more ponies.

As it turns out, I nearly struck out, but I did get a factory turbocharged car.

Meet my 1991 740 SE, which I will intermittently and endearingly, refer to as "Swedish Black Metal".

13634412963_419430c50c_c.jpg

And no, that boo-boo on the corner wasn't me. But, the HIDz were. :-P
It is a factory SE, not a 740T with a body kit. Even the 740SE decal in black is still there.

13634398185_1fe092cb3d_c.jpg

When I bought it, it was stock. The original springs were... deflated, the original shocks were functionally non-existent. The lamps were faded and yellowed and downright ugly, as well as lumen-ally challenged. The car refused to idle right, and had it's fair shares of choking itself out. The tail lamps were... Unreliable, at best. Drove around a few nights with the most unbelievable of light combinations for any given circuit. Fuel pumps were almost dead. And then they were. And the sunroof had a big ugly gash down the centre of it. Yikes!

13634530253_a00e3d0598_c.jpg

Oh, and those tires nearly disintegrated on the car.

But, anyway, the car is much improved now;

13634414675_fb69b94b9b_c.jpg

List of mods (4/14/2014):
  1. 954 ECU, TLAO chipped, as well a late 240 N/A ECU, also TLAO chipped, non-gold box.
  2. VDO boost gauge, Innovate WB02 gauge, VDO oil pressure gauge, VDO oil temperature gauge w/ Smokeyfan1000's oil temperature sender drain plug, in Nathan's center vent gauge pod.
  3. Cherry Turbos upper and lower chassis braces. (Thanks Rich!)
  4. MBC, 15G @ 1 bar.
  5. Yoshifab intake spacers.
  6. Red/clear replica "Hova" tail lights. (Thanks AJ!)
  7. LED LITERALLY (almost) EVERYTHING.
  8. E-Code 7/9 w/fog front end.
  9. Hella FF75 fog lamps, yellow tint.
  10. Morimoto MH1 HID projectors retrofitted into ECE headlamp housings.
  11. ECE side markers (non-OEM).
  12. 960 Headliner/Moonroof, grey. (Thanks AJ!)
  13. Apparently really rare rear seat reading lamps, in non-fuzzy trim pieces.
  14. A solid end tank radiator, because the original one loosed its guts. (Thanks Jason!)
  15. IPD Sport springs, Bilstein Touring shocks (eck...), IPD sways, IPD panhard.
  16. Pioneer HU for my jamz. Will be sorting out the speakers sometime soon.
  17. Heated mirrors.
  18. 4 working fog lamps (two individual circuits).
  19. Yellow Kingsborne spark plug leads with blue heat shielding socks.
  20. Swedish flag ghetto painted valve cover.
  21. IPD Oil cap.
  22. do88.se IAC hoses, blue silicone.
  23. Harribert's old eggcrate, w/ badges.
  24. OBX 2-1/2" Catback.
  25. Koenigseggeggeggegg coolant resevoir cap.
  26. NPR'd
  27. Fixed A/C.
  28. EBC Redstuffs up front, rears in a week or two.
  29. Koni 2014! (in the rear)

13634428453_af5be5ee1c_c.jpg

Stuff that I'm loafing about about:
  1. '99 Firebird T5WC. Have some parts, working on getting others, co$t$ money$. (ditch and go M90...?)
  2. Keyless entry from an 850, needs a wire and also the FOB.
  3. Adjustable cam gear, really no point on a 'T' cam auto car.
  4. Kevlar timing belt, water pump (the upper o-ring is a little leaky), front engine seals.
  5. Browntops.
  6. RSI Stage 2 Cam on it's way!
13634417805_9e9840c8eb_c.jpg

Stuff that needs ordered or is planned to be done:
  1. Tintz.
  2. Rimpz.
  3. PCV catch can.

13634773974_5b50030b1c_c.jpg

So, yeah. That's the car. I'm kinda losing track of what I'm doing to it and what my plans are, so here should be a good place to remind myself.

Last edited:
Nice! :cheers:

I wish I took pics of the 940 exhaust on my donor car, had slots rusted all the way down the seams of the pipes, funny thing is it passed Cali smog that way! The guy must have bribed the tech!

About time a thread came up! :cool:

The taillights are replicas of the Hova ones from Sweden. These ones weren't from Sweden. :lol:

Don't forget your custom spark plug wires, the do88 IAC silicone swag, and the e$$crate.

Doin' stuff! Excellent. I have yet to install a single piece from "The Pillaging Incident". I've prepped some stuff, but I've been busy getting the garage in better shape first.

@Kardboard - Thanks for the reminders, they're all up.
Yeah, I just was bored and said, let's make that thread. So I did. It made me late to pick up my girlfriend, but don't tell her that, hahahaha

@Mark - I was holding off on putting the turbo on because I didn't have a CBV for it, but I've got this BOV on it and man, are BOVs hard work.

BOV is almost right, opens a bit too soon in the Vac though, if my foot is off the gas it opens, anything <19 inHg (edit: for my reference, I'm at 4 shims and the middle spring. Try the heavy spring next...). Did some pulls with the 15G, which is apparently only set at 10 psi, and WOW. What a difference!

Last edited:
I don't understand it either, I was searching for this thread and came up with that. T'was weird.

A couple of weeks into 15G-ness (emphasis on the G-ness), car feels very responsive, especially under the boost curve, where I wasn't expecting an improvement. Feels like the 13C was restricting flow, and now it's just happy to breathe and go. Boost is also a lot more oomph-y too, which is welcome too, ahahaha.

Going to pick up a HD CBV kit from IPD during the garage sale. Should be good.

Pics of my current night mode? Okay!
"bling blang LED butt"
14055730456_ec1e5ecb9d_c.jpg

"Updated HID ecodes"
14055727156_c43a5b5b73_b.jpg

Back