• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

'82 245 Up to date radio

TestPoint

My original 32 year old AM/FM/Cassette radio works just fine but I cannot find a way to add bluetooth to it. Searched around on the forum without success.

I would like to leave the existing radio in place and add a modern unit in the upper sunglass storage hole above the coin tray. I have never found out any other use for the hole. Somewhere in my memory is a thought that there is a single DIN housing that can be mounted there.

Anyone got any information on the mounting housing?

Anyone got recommendations for an unit that might provide bluetooth smart phone connections. Not looking for a 1000w. My needs are more 40w.

WOW! A concept that I had not even considered. Appears that this device provides antenna input of all the bluetooth capabilities to an antiquated radio.

As simple as it sounds I was just trying to upgrade to PPL station tuning with bluetooth phone capability.

Based on the inexpensive units out there I would like to still find a single DIN mounting for the sun glass hole.

There's got to be a bluetooth audio to headphones adapter.

You wire the headphone output to the leads of the tape head, and make a dummy tape.

You can use an FM Modulator style unit like that to add modern capabilities to ANY radio with an antenna input. The problem I've repeatedly found (after 15+ years of dealing in the car audio biz) is that the sound quality gets degraded and is lackluster (at best)...but it'll do the job. Just remember....to use that type of unit...you'll have to tune your radio to the modulator's specific operating frequency...EVERY time you want to use it. So setting up 1 of the radio's FM preset buttons to that frequency will most likely be in your best interest.

Yeah, I found the Volvo 240 upper adapter at a local custom shop. Considering how far out in the mountains I live it is amazing that we even have a sound shop and even more so that they had the device in stock. Paid a little more than Crutchfield but got $10 worth of education thrown in.

Now if one or more of your sound guys would point me to a decent radio. There seem to be hundreds out there. I think I want:

Single DIN for upper 240 mounting. Any suggestions on how to support the unit?

minimum bling, minimum lights, no orange flashing surround, invisible if possible. Would like to ability to turn off the display with unit in use.

AM/FM/SD/USB. USB not really needed but would be nice if it would charge a phone. AM desired but not required as I see that missing on some. Front audio input not required.

Cell phone connectivity via bluetooth if possible. Found lots of bluetooth but few mentions of cell phone.

Minimum wattage required. I plan on replacing the 32 year old speakers but 25 - 40w x 2 would seem adequate.

Excuse me, just thinking with my fingers.

Comments appreciated.

DEH-80PRS Good deck. Advanced features if you want them but does everything you asked for.
Cheap too.

I've always been an Alpine head unit guy. Really simple to use...usually no extraneous bells and whistles you'll probably NEVER use...and they LAST! There are quite a few head units to choose from...and most will serve your needs... just make sure you go with one of "The Big 3". By that...I mean Alpine, Kenwood, or Pioneer...you CAN stretch that to 4...and add Eclipse in there. They have have clean high voltage/low-level outputs...IF you wanted to use them.

I would recommend AGAINST ANY Sony, JVC, Jensen, Dual, etc.

You said you're looking for 40?2 wattage....but you will most likely NOT find a newer head unit that doesn't have at least 4 speaker outputs. You'd simply don't use 2 of the speaker outputs if you only have 2 existing speakers. You DO NOT want to "bridge" the speaker outputs.

Anyhoo....the newer tech obviously puts the old stuff to shame. Your dual-knobber (he he he...I said knobber) probably puts out like 10W per channel at best...and the tuner obviously isn't digital...so tuning into your favorite station is probably static-y. Even if a newer deck only puts out the same 10W per channel... it'll be a cleaner 10W and you won't have to turn the volume up as much.

You can still mount a new radio in the lower location to keep it "low key" if you wish...its just personal preference for a mounting location. If you prefer the upper location...you can find a dash kit that'll make that a cinch to install. However...1 thing I've found on the upper dash mounting location is how the body/rear of the radio sits right on top of the heater vents. So I would take a piece of "cheese strap" and affix it to the rear mounting holes located on the very back of the radio itself...feed the radio assembly into the upper location...and bend the strap into a bit of a hook to where I could put a screw into it. Some radios come with a piece of strap in the box when you buy them BNIB. On 240's...the center of the dash has a cover plate that just pops off. I would pop off the plate...pull the strap through...and shoot a screw into the metal upon which the cover sits...and replace the cover. This helps to support the rear of the radio...and makes it harder to steal.

Last edited:
I've had my Kenwood for coming on a year now and I've yet to even test the disc player. Everything's been through either USB, HD radio or satellite radio. a 64GB micro USB drive holds nearly everything I have, including podcasts.

Alpine UTE-42BT

ute-42bt.jpg

Spent $100 on this Alpine media player from BestBuy for my daily Mazda Protege. Bluetooth, USB, 3.5 Aux input, AM/FM and no CD slot. I haven't listened to a CD in one of my own vehicles in almost 7 years, so not having the slot was an added bonus. The unit has no moving parts with the exception of the cover for the USB port and the lock for the removable face plate. Alpine includes the mic and even has voice control that I haven't bothered to play with. Receiving and making calls is cake, you can scroll through your phone book easily and can stream any media from my iPhone, Slacker Radio, Soundcloud, Pandora, iTunes Music, YouTube, ect. When using my phone for navigation (Maps app native to iOS 7) the music volume will lower and the audible instructions play over the speakers. For the price, it can't be beat IMO.

The Alpine is very attractive but after a couple days of exploration I think I have narrowed down my 'want' list to the following:

AM/FM PLL tuning - most have this

No bling. Black or flat black desired. No orange, little chrome. Dimable preferred.

SD card input - that is where all the music will come from

USB, not for input but for at least 1A charge capability. Rear or off front preferred

Bluetooth connectivity for an Android smart phone use including number list. Remote mounted mike. Audio controls not required but acceptable.

Blue tooth connectivity for internet streaming of music and talk radio.

What has no value:

CD/DVD

There are a few sites that have a select/cull list but nothing that pulls up the above list. There are at least 50 radios with most of the above but I have not found all.

Any further input?

Alpine UTE-42BT

ute-42bt.jpg

Spent $100 on this Alpine media player from BestBuy for my daily Mazda Protege. Bluetooth, USB, 3.5 Aux input, AM/FM and no CD slot. I haven't listened to a CD in one of my own vehicles in almost 7 years, so not having the slot was an added bonus. The unit has no moving parts with the exception of the cover for the USB port and the lock for the removable face plate. Alpine includes the mic and even has voice control that I haven't bothered to play with. Receiving and making calls is cake, you can scroll through your phone book easily and can stream any media from my iPhone, Slacker Radio, Soundcloud, Pandora, iTunes Music, YouTube, ect. When using my phone for navigation (Maps app native to iOS 7) the music volume will lower and the audible instructions play over the speakers. For the price, it can't be beat IMO.

Pretty unbeatable for the price honestly.

There's got to be a bluetooth audio to headphones adapter.

You wire the headphone output to the leads of the tape head, and make a dummy tape.

I'll leave this here for you http://www.soundmanca.com/products/bluetooth-chip

as for headunits I using a kenwood KDC-x794 in my 940. All I really need it for is the rear AUX as I have a phone dock for the galaxy S3 that pulls the audio out the micro usb port through a aux cable to the back and gets a charge from a gutted 12v to usb adapter I have hidden in the dash.

I may have found it!

Boss 752UAB http://www.crutchfield.com/p_104752UAB/Boss-752UAB.html#details-tab

It has:

CD player
USB front connection for input and device charging (0.5a)
Front SD card slot (limited to 16g)
BlueTooth streaming audit input
BlueTooth Android hands-free phone connection with mike on unit front. Answer and terminate only. Does not transfer phone book.
IR remote control
Single DIN

Rated at 4 out of 5 stars. Pretty good list for $80.

Now to find some speakers. Anyone know what size the 240 takes without me pulling a door card?

Last edited:
Back