• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Damn I wish I wasn't such a PIMP

tjts1

Damn I wish I wasn't such a PIMP (16" JY wheel find)

I found these on an 87 760 turbo at the JY in Richmond. Everybody overlooked them because of the wheel locks. Fortunately I found some nice folk willing to educate me in the art of wheel lock removal. Lets just say I need a new 19mm socket now. :-P There is a bit of curb rash on 2 of the wheels, otherwise the all look straight. I'll have them balanced this weekend. I have no idea who the manufacturer is. All the center caps were missing. There's some logo on the back as well as "Made in Japan". They are 16" by 7" or 7.5" I think. Anybody have any idea who makes these? Tires are Kumho Ectas (?) 700 215/55/R16 in almost new condition. My 15" were on their way out but these tires should last me a couple of years at least. Total cost is $120 for the set of 4, plus $5 for my new found friend. Now that I think about it, thats cheaper than 2 tires.

Picture105.jpg

Picture106.jpg

Does the nuts on the back make them 2 piece?
Picture110.jpg

Picture108.jpg

Picture109.jpg

I'll have a nice set of 15" 92-94 960 wheels and tires for sale very very soon.

Almost forgot. There is an 850 turbo wagon there too. Engine (timing belt intact) and trasmisison are complete except for intercooler/radiator. 109k miles on the clock.

Justin

Last edited:
DAMN YOU.
Nice wheels though. What's your technique? I've found a few cars with locked wheels that i'd like - at the junkyard of course.

cid499 said:
DAMN YOU.
Nice wheels though. What's your technique? I've found a few cars with locked wheels that i'd like - at the junkyard of course.
Find a socket that just bearly doesn't fit over the outside of the lock. Maybe 1mm smaller. In my case it was 19mm. Hammer the socket onto the the lock. It takes a lot of force and after 4 locks the socket is trash. But it works. Just make sure the car is at the junk yard and not missplaced in a dark alley. :rofl:

Last edited:
cid499 said:
DAMN YOU.
12-pt Craftsman socket (or any with a lifetime warranty) + hammer. :-D

-- Kane

i think that teh SSF on the back indicates that they are SSR wheels, SSF is their name for Semi-Solid-Forged

how light are they, i'd be willing to bet that if the bolts go all the way thru they are 2pc

**edit, crap, that's SFF. i think BBS are made in Japan, but they may be SSR or something also

Interesting. My parents have a set of these on their 1983 500sl AMG. I have always liked the wheels. I will try to get a picture of later this week, if I ever get the time to figure out how. I was also wondering about the wheels. Even though they are not a German wheel, they seem to be pretty well made. There is an emblem of sorts on their center cap, but I can't make it out. There wheels are white and are very had to clean. Keep yours a dark color. Are the lug nuts black by a chance? Did you look in the trunk for the center caps? I often find them in there. Nice wheels and happy bricking.

stylngle2003 said:
**** me, youre right

maybe ARE, or ASA or whatever that A-company is...i think Dan had a set of those or sometyhing once
ASA are a sub brand or something like that of BBS FWIW, whatever that means in this situation though I don't know.

And the tires, well, the one that isn't worn out in the first picture, is a Kuhmo Ecsta 716 all season tire. I had some on my 142 for a while and LOVED them. Great ride, nice and quiet, and good traction/handling. A bit soft, but much better than what else I've had on the 142 so far.

ASA gets many of their wheel styles "licensed" by BBS, meaning they can use the same design, just usually sell them cheaper bc they are cast not forged, but not all ASA's are licensed by BBS

stylngle2003 said:
ASA gets many of their wheel styles "licensed" by BBS, meaning they can use the same design, just usually sell them cheaper bc they are cast not forged, but not all ASA's are licensed by BBS
I see... Coolio to know! :-D

ASA is licensed under BBS. I was told that it was or is a BBS subsidary, maybe by ownership, or just the licensing situation. Basically, they are the "off brand" BBS. Not every BBS wheel is forged. The RK's i have are extremely light weight cast aluminum.

Nice wheels. Those look like BBS wheels I almost ended up with, but i never saw the markings. Search the markings on the web, you will come up with something. The mesh was a different style.

BBS wheels are marked BBS. I don't think ASA had anything to do with BBS back at the time of these wheels, because judging by the date stamp, they were made in what looks like 86, but the pic is not clear enough.

Get more pics of the markings.

Last edited:
Back