• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Anyone have pictures of undersides (rear ends specifically) of IRS cars?

acbarnett

SAAB defector
The thread topic basically says it all, the only thing on the 940 structurally that would be different from an IRS-equipped 960 that I can think of would be the panhard rod attachment point, though that seems like it would be easy prey for the sawzall. Any pictures of 940 rear ends would be appreciated too, as it's cold outside and I don't feel like taking pics of the bottom of my car right now. Thanks in advance for any pics this thread might being up, as my search across the ol' interweb has proven fruitless so far.

sry if I wasn't specific enough, I'd like pics of the rear ends of any Mk. 1 IRS car, preferably 940SE's or 960's. I already have the vadis schematics and pictures of the IRS unit itself, I'm more concerned about any differences in the underbodies of the cars between IRS and non-IRS setups on the same body style (740 versus 760 or 940 versus 960).

I can get you a pic of my 91 780's rear. AFAIK it's identical to the 940SE's

yeah, just have to wait until the morning, I'm at work for the moment, so as long as I can remember....I'll get you a pic before heading out. Any specific spots?

where the subframe bolts on to the rear frame rails on either side would be nice, as well as how the diff fits in with where the gas tank lives and possibly where the torque rods would be on a solid axle 700 if that's possible. Thanks for doing this

yeah no prob, also since we're both in MA, if you ever want to take a look at one in person, I have two Bertones. Both have the MK.1 IRS. The 91 is just identicle to a 940SE in that the diff is the same and it has a rear swaybar. My 91 is my project, and thus not mobile, but I have an 89 that is perfectly mobile. The gas tank may be an issue. It lives on both sides of the driveshaft in a Bertone, but I'm not sure if that is the same way in a 940. I have a 21 USgal gas tank AFAIK, so it is actually two tanks, kind of, sitting on either side.

thanks for the PDF, it does reaffirm my thought that the IRS subframe was cleverly designed to fit in the space of the live axle setup. From what I can see the subframe bolts to the same frame rails that the components of the solid axle bolt to.

While we're at it, does anyone have a picture of a rear swaybar on an IRS system. I'm asking because I want to ad a rear bar to my 780. And from what I understand some modifications will need to be made.

Last edited:
Body Massage said:
yeah no prob, also since we're both in MA, if you ever want to take a look at one in person, I have two Bertones. Both have the MK.1 IRS. The 91 is just identicle to a 940SE in that the diff is the same and it has a rear swaybar. My 91 is my project, and thus not mobile, but I have an 89 that is perfectly mobile. The gas tank may be an issue. It lives on both sides of the driveshaft in a Bertone, but I'm not sure if that is the same way in a 940. I have a 21 USgal gas tank AFAIK, so it is actually two tanks, kind of, sitting on either side.

Yeah the gas tank is unique to all Mk1 IRS cars.

--
alex

I know the gas tank is larger on IRS cars, probably b/c they have space by the driveshaft where the torque rod setup would be on a non-irs car. I don't see any problem with fit though with the smaller gas tank, if it was the other way around i would worry, but luckily that isn't so.

^^^^^ stupid nivomats, though what exactly does the IPD conversion kit include??? and would it be possible to get one with bilstein HD's instead of the shocks they supply with it?

^^^ yes. All it is, is modified shocks and stiffer springs to hold it up. You still get the functionality of an IRS, just not a self leveling IRS.

rancidponymilk said:
While we're at it, does anyone have a picture of a rear swaybar on an IRS system. I'm asking because I want to ad a rear bar to my 780. And from what I understand some modifications will need to be made.

Mine came stock with a rear bar. They put rear bars on em in '91. Grr must remember to go take a picture...give me a few and I should have one up

Back