• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Supra 5spd Conversion for Redblocks

boostdemon

creative mastermind
By: Anthony Hyde

Description: The alloy cased Toyota Supra 5 speed conversion is manufactured by ?Dellow Automotive? in Sydney, Australia. Dellow has over 20 years experience in conversions, and offers Volvo owners kit #S-V to suit the popular tilted red engined B21/B23/B230 Turbo or normally aspirated version.

http://www.turbobricks.com/mods.php?content=art0020

Last edited:
Clutches -700ft pound rating on w58-with the right oil

The supra tranny has no problem taking abuse from a motor produceing in upwards of 700ft pound of torque. Orin Bivens is currently running one in his 1992 turbo supra and it just made 3 ten seconds passes in a mk3 supra that weighs 3500 pounds. He says he uses 30 weight oil in it to help it last. I have had three mk3 supras, never had any problems with the w58. Ive personally run 20/24 psi out of them and the tranny holds wonderfully with upgraded turbo and haltech and a ton of other mods.
American power and Brake(napa) in Irving Texas makes clutches/pressure plate, that hold 600 foot pound of torque for these trannies for $250-ask for "mudflap" .They also made some hi po clutches for Jason Goodley and i when we ran the 244ti with haltechs and major boost on the m46's for the same price-but the trannys wouldnt ever hold up.Call info for the phone number.They major in heavy industry clutches for semis but dont mind building hi po street car clutches for very inexpensive and very high quality.

Kris Weldy

supra

Any supra tranny from 1987-1991 with a 5 speed is a great bargain. They dont shift near as smooth as a m46- but with a little getting used to and about 50 times of missing third gear youll get the hang of it, or you can make a shift gate for the shifter so it wont ever get missed. W55, w58, all are good and worthy of minimal 600foot pound of torque.In my honest experience.

Kris Weldy

Thinking of putting a w58 behind a 302 v8 ford motor -with turbo and haltech-in 242, its either that or the supra motor(which i already have, but i want some serious head turning power-enough to stand the wheels up for about half a quarter mile, and ive seen junkyard turbo 302 do it in lx fox bodies).

Clarification...

The Mk3 Supra Turbo does not have a W58, they came with the R154 stock...

My friend and I found this out when we were trying to swap a 7MGTE with trans from Mk3 into an Mk2, and could not use the tranny as it would not fit into the tunnel without modification of the tunnel... Also the shifter location was different as well...

Most of the normally aspirated Mk3 Supra's did use the W58, but the Turbo from my experience is equipped with the R154...

This is a quote from CelicaSupra.com... It's on swapping old w58's to newer ones...
R154 from a 87-92 MK3 Turbo
It's been done, but no specific details on what needs to be done. Some modifications of the transmission tunnel may be required (the bell housing is longer on the R154) and the shifter will be located about 2" back from the stock MK2.
Dimensionally, they are slightly different.

I just don't want us to mislead anyone into believing that the Mk3 Supra Turbo has the W58. Most of Toyota's models that could be equipped with the W58 as a trans had a data plate under the hood that specifically states which one they had... That is how I located my W58 in an 89 Supra non-turbo...

I don't doubt that a W58 can take a lot of abuse...

Chad

Ooops.

You are correct, i have one r154 and one w58 out of a 1989 na supra, we did a turbo swap on the car with upgraded clutch and ran a bit of boost out of it with an npr intercooler and it shifted smoother than my r154. The r154 came in my 1989 turbo supra. Thanks for the clarification Chad, i didnt even think about the difference in the R154 and w58.The clutch is setup a little different too.The w58 in Texas is easier to come by in local salvage yards.
BTW niether of my trannies are for sale-sorry, im using them.

Kris Weldy

Try this on.

Hoggster said:
Around how much does the conversion kit cost?

hey everyone, glad to see I'm not the only one who still thinks of this swap.

To answer your question the conversion kit is a pretty penny. Last time i check(and by checked I mean actually calling Dellow up on the phone) the kit runs somewhere to the tune of $550 dollars, not including shipping. and thats still not factoring in the modifications to the tranny, or making custom crossmembers, etc.

What I am figuring out though, and maybe Kris or any other ol' school Toyota buff can help, is maybe John Parker at Vintage Performance is who we should be talking to. V-Performance previously made adapter plates to put early model Celica trannies behind B18's and B20's. If the little bit of research I've done is correct, the early Celica and N/A Mk3 Supra W58 trannies are very similiar in dimension. If this is the case then we might have a state side alternative right under our noses. Anyone feel free to check this for me, as where I've been in school and have had to time/money to send them a guinea pig bellhousing to try at an adapter plate. But in any event, After seeing the T5 swap pics/result, I'd say there a good choice to try and get one cut up anyway.

Mike (as usual)

P.S. Kris I got your PM, just this chemistry is kick my @$$, I'll give you a call about the "Hal" pretty soon though. thanks

Hmmm...I use to own a MK3 BPU....it has the R154 tranny...
the W58 is off a N/A...heard they were crap....
I know a guy that has a R154 tranny for $200....I can ask him if he still has it, if anyone is interested....LMK

I have both

I have both trannies one in car and other in my garage-the R154 in my supra and the w58 in my garage. Both have the same 600ft pound torque brass clutch and flywheel upgrades. The w58 is shorter (maybe an inch or so)and has a sensor directly on top of the trany that the r154 does not. The r154 is a bit larger in diameter right before the shifter. Both trannies have hydraulic clutches but both setups are different, it appears that the w58 pushes from the front and the r154 pushes from the back-both having different slave cylinders. The r154 has a cylinder type slave (two bolts)cylinder and the w58 has a four bolt slave cylinder . So there are a few subdle differences.
Ive run both and in my own experience the w58 shifts smoother and crisper. I ran 15psi out of the w58 on a upgraded 50 trim to4e turbo for about a year- no tranny problems, while ive run 20psi on the r154 for years with the same turbo and haltech with no problems. I just now upgraded to a 57 trim to4e and clipped the exhaust wheel 13 degrees, hoping for 600hp at around 25/28 psi, stock bottom end, arp head studs, bla bla.I have built numerous supras with autos and standards-the standards rock hard!I have never had to replace a standard tranny on a supra-for a customer or otherwise, i have had to swap many autos for standards due to slipping at about 13psi on a stock turbo supra setup.BTW 13psi on a supra is good for 9.0- 9.1 in the 1/8th with a stock turbo, and everything else.I ran a 9.1 with mine stock except timing and head was shaved. This was year before last at kennedale, should be on www.supraforums.com somewhere.

These trannies dont play around, considering they are mated on the back of a 24 valve 3.0 litre in line six that makes 245ft-230hp at stock 5-7psi of boost on a turbo the same size as a xr4ti turbo (stock) in a car that weighs 3500 at the lightest, 4000 at the heaviest.The na cars are rated at 215 ft pound IIRC.Do an upgrade on the turbo and intercooler and they really start eating the asphault.Then you have to upgrade the clutch.
I plan on running the w58 in my 242-either mated to a supra motor or mated to a turbo 302 v8 .
Let me know what other questions you have, and ill try to answer them.

Kris Weldy

Wow. Thats a helluva a price tag. I could break a dozen M46s for that kind of money. I hope the V-perf source can work something out because as much as I'd like to do this mod, the cost is prohibitive. Looks like at least a grand, maybe $1500+ if you can't get a gearbox on the cheap.

How moddable are these gearboxes? Are aftermarket gear sets or shift setups avaliable?

r154 and w58.

They *may* be the same but i couldnt say for sure, after all the older celicas were "supra Celicas" so i dont see why they wouldnt be w58 trannies. The bellhousing on both trannies looks to have the identical bolt pattern-so if your guy can make the bellhousing adapter-it would fit both the r154 and the w58. As far as buying a few m46's for that price-maybe-but who wants to stick them in and out of your car for free? Id suggest spending the same money that youd normaly spend on 2 m-46's and labor and do the swap.Heres some info and specs on both on the online Toyota supra owners manual (TSRM)
Toyota r154 and w58

Enjoy!

Kris WEldy
Arlington Texas

supra gearbox

I was wondering if the shifter location is about the same as an the volvo gear boxes. and how would the stock supra gear box shift er location align in a 740. I was thinking maybe my friend could fabricate something with a unit from the junk yard.
thanks
Matt

96DTM850 said:
Hmmm...I use to own a MK3 BPU....it has the R154 tranny...
the W58 is off a N/A...heard they were crap....
I know a guy that has a R154 tranny for $200....I can ask him if he still has it, if anyone is interested....LMK

Sorry to go OT, but I have to correct your signature.
The 850 racecar isnt a DTM car.
It's actually an ex-btcc super touring car, and in the photos in your sig, was running in the Australian Super Touring championship at the hands of Peter Brock (almost a god in Australian motorsport) and was later driven by Jim Richards (also a VERY talented driver).

Anyway, your sig aside, could you post up somewhere some more info on your 850?
It looks quite neat

Cheers,
Ash

Matthieu said:
I was wondering if the shifter location is about the same as an the volvo gear boxes. and how would the stock supra gear box shift er location align in a 740. I was thinking maybe my friend could fabricate something with a unit from the junk yard.
thanks
Matt

On the 200 series cars the shifter location is pretty close, not quite but workable. However, On the 7/9 series cars the shifter is of, way off, about 3-4 1/2 inches IIRC. modification to lengthen it (it = shifter housing and linkage) would be neccessary to pull it off. thats ofcourse with the Dellow kit. If you had some one mock up an adapter plate the measurements might be different but probably not much more/less than that. But the modifications have been done though.

Mike (as usual)

W58 power

I can confirm the power handleing of the W58. I have been running one in my 82 Jaguar XJS V12 for ther last 5 years. The car weighs over 4000lbs and has 300HP/300ft'lb of torque. Only mod I did as recommended by lots of W58 users out there was to change out the input bearing for a "maxi" bearing. basically a HD bearing that uses twice the number of ball bearings as the standard W58 bearing which more evenly distributes side loads.
I made my decision to go W58 after speaking to a guy in Calgary, who was running 450HP through a heavily modified Supra with his stock W58.
W58 has a nice compact case that fits in most tunnels and is pretty cheap and avalable. I bought my W58 from a wrecker for $125CDN and other than the input bearing, it is stock and has held up nicely to abuse.
I used a clutch disk from a Toyota commercial truck and a hi performance pressure plate from a Australian HSV. Dellow and Ron Moore are pretty good to deal with.

UOTE=haltechsupra]The supra tranny has no problem taking abuse from a motor produceing in upwards of 700ft pound of torque. Orin Bivens is currently running one in his 1992 turbo supra and it just made 3 ten seconds passes in a mk3 supra that weighs 3500 pounds. He says he uses 30 weight oil in it to help it last. I have had three mk3 supras, never had any problems with the w58. Ive personally run 20/24 psi out of them and the tranny holds wonderfully with upgraded turbo and haltech and a ton of other mods.
American power and Brake(napa) in Irving Texas makes clutches/pressure plate, that hold 600 foot pound of torque for these trannies for $250-ask for "mudflap" .They also made some hi po clutches for Jason Goodley and i when we ran the 244ti with haltechs and major boost on the m46's for the same price-but the trannys wouldnt ever hold up.Call info for the phone number.They major in heavy industry clutches for semis but dont mind building hi po street car clutches for very inexpensive and very high quality.

Kris Weldy[/QUOTE]

Back