• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Archiving, searching, publishing... ideas?

boostdemon

creative mastermind
Lets get some ideas flowing for thoughts on the best process for getting the info from the board (and mailing list) threads to our members, new and old.

What i have planned is an incentive based program where registered members would be able to gain "points" (which you can get a few other ways too) that you could redeem for things like custom user titles, personal image gallery (?), stickers, discount on shirts/hats/etc whatever i can get made, wallpapers/desktop backgrounds (custom?), ... suggestions ?

For the last few weeks i have been working on building a database structure that would work in conjunction with the board database to insert articles into based on an online form (a lot like how you make a post on the board). Should make it easier to add new stuff. There will also be a new menu and category structure too so things will be broken down better as articles come rolling in.

The integrated search tool will follow the articles going live... allowing the search function on the board (which will serve, we hope, on the site too) will pull already published articles from the sites database first, display those links, and then results from the board (maybe sorted by # of replies? i.e. giving the bigger/better threads first)

anyway, thats what i have been planning on... additions/changes/thoughts?

Suggestion, I know that there are a number of forum catagories on this site, would adding a "info for new visitors" be an idea? It wouldn't have to be filled with articles about tire changing or Phase 39 Jupiter heads. It could be a section that deals with basic questions concerning turbo motors and systems that the Brickboard FAQ's (which I think every newbie should be refered to) don't cover.

The new IPD catalogue is filled with an incredible amount of technical information, from identifying what parts are what to install and maintenance details. If you don't have the latest catalogue, I suggest you request one and have a look.

yeah, i suspect there will be a massive "gathering" of resources prior to starting the compition... I will probably make a thread devoted to writing articles; i'll write a list of potential articles... people can toss in other resources and such to use.

So what about the process i described? Does that make sense? any changes to it that you guys can think of?

Sounds great, Dana. The only suggestion I have is to make the articles organized from generic --> specific. Example: intake and exhaust restriction testing listed before K&N and throttle-body mods, but after a general VE discussion -- and all under a category of "power" or something.

Keep up the good work!

Travis Roy
Montague, MA USA
78 GT, 79 242, 84 245, 94 945

yeah good idea. I think the categories are going to be the thing to figure out. Before i build them out i'll post them and see if anyone has any changes

Back