• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Power Steering

singspirit

Hi Volvo Buds: My '87 244 (121K original miles) made this HORIFFIC squeeling sound, then I smelled a little burning, then it was gone. The car is running great - all fluids are okay, etc. - but the power steering has ceased to operate. Belts seem okay. Chances are that my power steering pump is toast? I'm "mechanically challenged", so any advice or resourses would be most appreciated! thanks.:help:

Sounds like PS pump seized which caused belt to slip, creating noise and smell. Pump then started turning again but apparently not pumping fluid. You probably need a new pump and need to flush the system to clean any pieces of metal out of it. This is something for a competent mechanic to do. Good luck, Dan C

I Agree with danclemts, probably the pump has seized to funktion and then the belt got so warm that it smelled burned rubber, ant hten the pump started to run again, but not functionally tough.
A new pump is what to do.

(Sorry for my bad english, i am an invader from sweden, found my way here from our Turbo Performance Club's Forum in Sweden: www.turboperformanceclub.com)

Back