• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Replacing the intank pump w/ a preformance one

PFunk242

Ok i have been told that a Walbro 255 ltr High pressure pump # FPG003
will work in our cars w/ little trouble this pump is for ('85-'92 GM Universal) can any one confirm that this is the right pump at all if not what is the right one?? This pump is going for 110 w/ shipping. From http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/ If anyone knows much of anything about this i would be thankful any info u can give.

let's see: in order to install a supposedly equivalent electric single in-tank pump to replace the in-tank/chassis mount pump set-up; you would have to verify if the replacement pump will actually fit into the tank through the opening....then you would have to redo the wiring to and through the sending unit to increase the wire size in order to make sure you were actually supplying this pump with sufficient power for it to run......then you have to replace the fuel hose from the sending unit to where the chassis pump was mounted with high pressure fuel injection hose......other than that, a piece of cake......

that Walbro pump may be a fine pump.....it might even work perfectly.......but I doubt that it is as durable as a Bosch pump.....in my experience, american cars that used a high press in-tank pump had rather short pump life versus the volvo 2 pump set-up......if you don't mind dropping the tank down every 40,000 miles or so to replace the pump, go for it....

Wallbro is the most respected racing fuel pump manufacturer there is, and that the volvo in-tank pump is not bosch, but a pos AC Delco unit right?
I have a hard time believeing it would die faster than a stock in tank.

And I'm also not sure why you "drop the tank down" to replace the pump. I lift up the carpet in the back, 2 screws to remove the little cover, screwdriver and hammer to get the sender ring off. Undo fuel line under car, pull sender, replace pump. I can do an in tank pump in 20 minutes.

There are plenty ford 2.3 turbo and mopar guys running this system quite reliably. The High pressure 255 should be good until you're running, oh 8 second 1/4's or so. :D Really you'd need to upgrade your fuel lines... ;)

Back