• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Ooooh, the UPS man came today!

Very nice!

If you bought those used, when you get them balanced and put on the car (especially if you're swapping different tires onto them), make sure that whoever is putting them on doesn't put them on if they're badly bent.

I had a guy from Sears jack up my quoted price (which I paid), then as I was driving away, I hit 45 and the whole car started to shake violently. When I turned around and went back, he said he knew that one was bent and that it was no big deal. He even offered to put it on the back instead of the front left so I didn't feel it as much...I told him to take it off and he tried to make me come back the next day (10 min from closing) and charge me. He didn't get either, but it took a lot of arguing and involved 2 managers.

They're in good shape from what I can tell. I put them on last night and I got up to 50mph today with no problems. Now I just need to get the windows tinted.

that car looks awesome.. so clean.. no rust.. i am very envious.. if only my 80' 242 looked like that..

Nice car

It's been repainted but it does look very good. How did you get a carburated car to pass emissions? Did you have to lean it out a lot?

You'll love having alloy wheels. They really make the vehicle much better driving. Good score!

I'm thrilled to have it. One owner until 2001, from then on it was driven very little until I bought it in March. Occasionly I get aspirations to make it much faster, but I don't want to touch it in fear of damaging something. Being my daily driver doesn't help any either.

I think it's kind of funny that the driver's seat is much lower than the passenger's seat because no one really sat in it for an extended period of time.

Re: Nice car

dlot said:
It's been repainted but it does look very good. How did you get a carburated car to pass emissions? Did you have to lean it out a lot?

You'll love having alloy wheels. They really make the vehicle much better driving. Good score!

It hasn't been repainted. Just a lot of compouding and waxing. About the carburated factor- I guess Texas emissions aren't as stringent as other states.

This is what the car looked like when I bought it. A blue towel became red from Oxidation residue the first time I washed it.

Ooops I forgot.

I usually go by the spare wheel wells for checking for proper repaints and forgot on an early car like yours they are the paint color. Around 1981 or so they made the rear spare tire wells black. Much of the time when the car is repainted people paint the black wells the color of the car. You see so few early 240s anymore I forget about details like that.

Carburated 240 series were never sold new here in the US. So someone brought your car down from Canada or up from Mexico. Or they may have had it shipped over. You have a really unique car for the US. Happy rolling!

Re: Ooops I forgot.

dlot said:

Carburated 240 series were never sold new here in the US. So someone brought your car down from Canada or up from Mexico. Or they may have had it shipped over. You have a really unique car for the US. Happy rolling!

That's cool!!! However, what about this? If you can't make it out- it says Volvo of Little Rock.

Dealer sticker

Yup I agree with you. That sticker means it was at that dealer sometime. I guess the emissions laws might have been more lenient in Arkansas. Maybe they were able to sell them there. I know for sure that the fuel injected cars were the ones they sold in this area and for CA. You'll see what I mean as you look around at other 240 series. I think you won't see another one with a carb.
Enjoy the ride!

I think my car is the "bare bones" version of the 242 offered in '78. An M45 non-overdrive tranny as opposed to the M46, no alloy wheels, fuel injection, power steering (I like the way the steering feels however) an so on.

It was definately sold in the US or made to comply to US standards- "conforms to US EPA standards" according to this sticker on the left side of the engine bay.

Hmmm..

Must be one of the very few that were sold here. Notice the low altitude statement underlined. I've never seen one of those stickers with specific area of use mentioned. Usually it's just US EPA blah, blah for the model year. Quite unique, and it's the coolest 2dr model.
Have fun!

Interesting. I would've said the same thing, the carb models were never sold in the US. My '79 had FI, but not much else except cruise control and OD trans. Even the first 240's around NY/CT in '75 where I grew up were FI K-jetronic B20B's. I didn't think any carb car came into the US after the '72 145S.
The seat looks like the front portion has been lowered (adjustment underneath), where the passanger seat cannot be adjusted. There should be three positiions for the front height.
Great looking car.

unique carb model

The only thing I can think of is that this car is considered a 49 state model which would exclude it from sale in Califonia. Since
the Northeast and other high density areas basically follow CA
they couldn't sell the carb models. But an area like that wouldn't
have the strict emissions inspections and regulations. So I guess
Volvo could legally sell the car. Does the car have a catalytic
converter? You may be able to remove it legally.

My first Volvo was a 1979 242DL. This car was a Kjet fuel injected car but also was a 49 state model. It didn't have the lambda
control yet. It used EGR and a cat to reduce emissions. Because
it was a light 240 model they didn't have to spend the money for
lambda control. Interesting that the 4dr and wagons all got
the lambda control on their motors which certified them 50 state.
Lambda is the 02 sensor circuits.

I used to have a 1976 VW Rabbit. When I was reading the Bentley Genuine VW repair manual. There was a procedure in the back for '49 state' models which could remove
the catalytic converter upto 79 because it's replacement wasn't required. I'm sure in NJ the law has probably changed but your area still might be OK.

Some photos of the motor would be great. We could see if it's Volvo stuff or if someone put on an aftermarket carb setup.
Enjoy the ride.

Re: unique carb model

dlot said:
Does the car have a catalytic
converter? You may be able to remove it legally.

Yes it does. I'm definately going to research that!

dlot said:
Some photos of the motor would be great. We could see if it's Volvo stuff or if someone put on an aftermarket carb setup.
Enjoy the ride.

I'll try to get some up soon. I'll be working the next three days.

I have to say that I don't really like the dracos on my 240. That is the reason that they are sitting in my dads garage right now. I only bought them because the were 100$ for a whole set with tires at the local yard (friend owned). My friend Ben drove the car over some RR tracks too fast and freakin bent both rims on the passenger side. He also destroyed two tires so that's how I came to own my Dracos. I recently replaced them with the Aries rim.

Having said that, I do have to make an exception for your car. I think they look excellent on your ride. I wonder what the difference is. Maybe it is because your car is a two door (mine was a wagon)

Anyway, congrats on the upgrade. I think your car looks like a totally different machine!

And while we are on the subject. I will be willing to trade four Dracos without tires for two of these wheels -unbent, minor scratches-

wheels

Those wheels are Novas I believe. I bought a set in this area for $100 from the salvage yard. They are not in very nice shape and maybe one or two are bent. The nice thing about using the Draco, Nova, and the turbo Virgo wheels are that they are really light.

Looking forward to the pictures.
Best regards,

Dlot, are you up for a trade?

I don't care what the finish looks like.

I just want those freaking wheels.

I can refinish them with "Easy Off" oven cleaner and oven paint

Back