• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

CTS seeing 90* when engine is warm....

turbobrick211

...and I am not comfortable with Easytherm yet. I got the "ready to go" box from kenny, and he said that the correct .s19 file was loaded for the LH 2.2 CTS, but when the engine is fully warmed up, it only reads around 90*. I don't know what the values are supposed to be in Easytherm for the sensor. Anyone have an idea?

Eric

he clobbered the firmware that was on there with an incorrect msns-extra.ini file (that would probably be my fault for changing firmware versions on the units that get shipped out), and i guess the .s19 i emailed him was the "stock" 24s9.s19 .

anyway, after talkin to him on the fone i think he might have it figured out, we'll see i reckon if he calls bac hehe

Rockin! My learning curve is finally starting to go upwards I think. I got Easytherm to work on the laptop last night, and in the process of mis-understanding Kenny a few times, I managed to screw up my firmware again lastnight while messing around trying to send my easytherm files to the controller. I ended up wiping the chip and sending it a ! and that's it. It was kinda funny because I then realized that I did something wrong, and tried to open megatune and upload the info from the controller, and it said something like: "Expected 24s9 something, Received !" So, I guess I replaced the firmware with an exclaimation mark! Kinda funny. Well, I got the correct firmware loaded back in place, and then ran EasyTherm again and used the numbers Kenny gave me, and compiled and loaded that into the controller. Now the car starts just fine, but the coolant temps are still way off. Once warmed up, and with the car idling for a while, the CTS only reads around 105-110*, while the IAT is reading around 175*. I can rev the engine and IAT drops down pretty quick, so I am pretty sure that one is accurate. I tried running EasyTherm again, and made up some different numbers to try and trick MS, and it didn't seem to change things much. I suppose I could have a bad sensor (brand new), or I could have a bad ground or something, which I will check tonight. Is there anything else that I might be missing?

turbobrick211 said:
Now the car starts just fine, but the coolant temps are still way off. Once warmed up, and with the car idling for a while, the CTS only reads around 105-110*

CLT values on my Volvo sensor are usually ~185-90 on a warmed up engine.

turbobrick211 said:
the IAT is reading around 175*. I can rev the engine and IAT drops down pretty quick, so I am pretty sure that one is accurate.

Waayyy too high. My AIT reads ambient temps when the car is off and rarely goes over 115 (and I have my sensor in the manifold - i.e. Heatsoak should artificially inflate my temps)

turbobrick211 said:
I could have a bad ground or something, which I will check tonight. Is there anything else that I might be missing?

I would definitely double check all grounds. Also, make sure that you do not have the sensors wire incorrectly (IAT to CLT or vice-versa)

swedefiend said:
Waayyy too high. My AIT reads ambient temps when the car is off and rarely goes over 115 (and I have my sensor in the manifold - i.e. Heatsoak should artificially inflate my temps)

mine runs up to 125 and we know where it is, maybe heat soak is not a problem :-D

swedefiend said:
CLT values on my Volvo sensor are usually ~185-90 on a warmed up engine.

Yeah, that is what I would expect, which is why I am concerned, and feel that any tuning at this point would be a waste of time, but I am not sure.

swedefiend said:

Well, that is the strange thing. When the car is completely cold, the AIT reads ambient tem as well. But when it is idling, it reads pretty hot. However, I think I didn't have my idle VE set properly at first, and it was pretty lean and the engine was on the hot side of things. The poor electric fan was coming on every minute or so. Cool thing is that when the fan came on, the AIT #'s would drop pretty quickly. I don't think the AIT numbers are too far off, and I have mine in the manifold as well.

swedefiend said:
I would definitely double check all grounds. Also, make sure that you do not have the sensors wire incorrectly (IAT to CLT or vice-versa)

Also pretty darn sure the wires are not backwards or swapped with the CTS, but I will double check that as well.

Last edited:
Back