• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1985 740T Street/Race Car

grebnut

TheSlovo
300+ Club
This has been my project since I inherited it from my dad, who has owned it since it was new.

31839372.jpg

My first project on the car was removing the stock exhaust and installing a 5 point harness. I ran open downpipe for 6 months or so. My parents took away my driving privledges, so I took the car apart in our garage. I put a Holset on it, made a custom intercooler for it, megasquirted it, and all the accompanying items. This here is a previous thread about that project:

Click Here

35198059.jpg

After that, I spent several months breaking and fixing things. Every week somthing would go wrong with the car, I would take it all apart, fix whatever went wrong so it wont happen again, and put it back together. I blew 2 headgaskets, melted many hoses, leaked alot of oil, overheated it, all kinds of stuff. I also made an exhaust, put in a K15 cam, and a few other little things.

Click Here

I worked through that development time to where it has been running for 5 or so months without me touching much of anything. I have been doing little thing to it over that time, like I made a catch can for the pcv hose. I put 72lb/hr injectors in and have been running about 20psi of boost. I made 230whp on the dyno where I work on 17ish psi of boost with the clutch slipping pretty hard. (stock clutch and tranny)

I also just finished up a new system for the car. Alpine Type R 10's and a JBL 2 channel amp running bridged 1 ohm. I made the box so that it tucks up on the upper tray in the front of the trunk. I put Memphis component sets up front in the doors and tweets on the dash but I don't have pictures of them yet. The rear deck speakers are not done, but i will probably just drop another set of Memphis speakers in there. Love the sound!

45789305.jpg

45789302.jpg

Last edited:
Which holset is that?

That looks like a Holset off a 99 Cummins pickup. I wonder how laggy it is on the Volvo. I know it is real responsive on the Cummins. I remember when they started using that turbo on their high output engine everyone raved about it although the turbo is actually smaller than the low output engine..... Hey Ben its been 2 years since this thread started, what are you up to now. I just discovered this thread and like everyone else I'm very impressed with your abilities. Its rear these days to see kids your age doing stuff like this. You have a real future in the fab/custom/auto bussiness. Keep it up dude.......

Last edited:
I went to SPSCC with Ben a few years ago but I am not sure what he is up to know. I tried to get a hold of him and pick his brain a bit after I got bit by the turbo Volvo bug but haven't heard back form any PM's sent. Last time I actually got to talk to him he was into BMWs and was driving a sweet one!
You still alive Ben?

That looks like a Holset off a 99 Cummins pickup. I wonder how laggy it is on the Volvo. I know it is real responsive on the Cummins. I remember when they started using that turbo on their high output engine everyone raved about it although the turbo is actually smaller than the low output engine..... Hey Ben its been 2 years since this thread started, what are you up to now. I just discovered this thread and like everyone else I'm very impressed with your abilities. Its rear these days to see kids your age doing stuff like this. You have a real future in the fab/custom/auto bussiness. Keep it up dude.......

I loved my HY35 :-D

what in the world gave you the idea for that intercooler?

*cause he can* ;-) :-D

I know he's still kickin it somewhere. I bought his downpipe and manifold from him a few months ago.

Haha... I completely forgot about this thread! I'm still kickin!!

I just got back from school a couple weeks ago for the summer and have been busting ass putting the volvo together with a getrag tranny that will (hopefully) hold up to some power and my driving.

I have been, as mentioned, working on alot of BMW's lately as well. I just sold my E30 M3 and "downgraded" to a 325i to get out of debt until I am done with school.

I will post up some pictures of what I have been up to. Alot has changed since this thread was created.

Ben

You sold your M3?

Please tell me you sold it for alot of money so I can ignore the fact you didn't offer it to me FIRST!

:( sobs

How much is alot of money? It sold for 18k and is somewhere down in your neck of the woods now.

I didn't know you wanted it!

Some new stuff

Well, here are some pictures of the latest on the car.

The getrag is in and working beautifully so far. I used the volvo shifter heavily modified as my lever and pivot ball for the tranny. The stock driveshaft front section was lengthened 7.5" and a new BMW bushing was put in the front to make sure everything lined up and balanced out properly. Also, the M3 crossmember was included with the tranny so I used the center section out of it and welded up some tabs and bracing that go out to the volvo mounting points. This works out smoothly with the stock M3 rubber mounts.

79427178.jpg

79427181.jpg

79427183.jpg

79427185.jpg

79427187.jpg

79427194.jpg

79427195.jpg

Then there is the interior. I took out the entire stock heating system because its friggin enormous and weighs 30lbs. Also, the heater core was leaking anyway. I think I will get a Flex a Lite Mojave heater that's small and I assume much lighter.

Also, the carpeting and much of the sound deadening has been removed. Surprisingly, it's not that much louder inside. I can definitely hear pebbles hitting the fenderwells, but overall road noise is not so bad.

I moved my radio up to where the heater controls used to be and am using the entire front panel of the dash to mount gauges.

79427198.jpg

Here are a couple shots of the engine as it sits now. Pretty much the same old crap. The only significant thing is my super ghetto pcv nipple plug.

79427200.jpg

79427201.jpg

79427204.jpg

Anyways, thats pretty much it for now. I'm still working on it quite a bit though. I'll try to remember to post some updates regularly.

As always, comments and questions are welcome.

Ben

happen to have any 1/4 mile times(or impressive kill stories)? kewl car mang

i love your car,

Thanks! I love your work!

ModBrick18, the last time I had the car at the strip, it ran a 14.7 quarter mile. However, that was a long time ago. Several years. At that point, it ran 14psi with no megasquirt ignition control, I didn't have a cam, and it was poorly tuned. I am really looking forward to taking it to the track this year to see what it'll do.

Ben

Hey Ben what model BMW is that getrag from and where did you get that adapter plate and whats the difference between the M90 getrag and the one your using. I know I know 20 questions!!!!!!!! :oops:

Hey Ben what model BMW is that getrag from and where did you get that adapter plate and whats the difference between the M90 getrag and the one your using. I know I know 20 questions!!!!!!!! :oops:

The getrag used here is from an E30 M3, which at first glance sounds like I must have paid a fortune for it, but check out s14.net. I got mine for a VERY reasonable price.

*edit* I forgot to mention that I made my own adapter plate. I cut it out of 1" aluminum, then used machinist hole center punch things to perfectly center my holes. I drilled and tapped them and it all bolts together. It's not pretty and machined but it seems to work just fine. I did pay to have the Volvo bellhousing machined to the exact right size so that the transmission will center to the engine using this as the main hub instead of the adapter plate. */edit*

I am not entirely sure what exactly the differences between the E30 M3 trans and the M90 are, but I do know that for the M90, you need the entire flywheel/clutch assembly as well as the transmission. It is definitely the most "bolt in" swap, but can be expensive to attain here in the states. Supposedly, it is very strong though. There is lots of info on these forums on both swaps, but I am happy to provide as much as I can about the M3 getrag swap.

Questions are a good place to start. No worries.

Ben

Last edited:
Back