• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

what would you buy for $5500 AUD??

ajwilson999

straight brickin'
hey guys, obviously the majority of u arent australian, but you should try and convert the dollars...anyway the question is, what car would you buy (volvo of course) for $5500??????????? im focused on a 740T, keeping in mind i need something with go.. how much for a fast 242, or decent 244... i want somthing under 8 secs for 0 - 60miles

two chicks at the same time. that comes out to 4192 USD. You could get a 740/940 turbo for that much.

Addicted242Boost said:
that comes out to 4192 USD. You could get a 740/940 turbo for that much.
...in America.

Australian second-hand car market is much pricier than USA.

Still, I've seen early 760Ts going for under A$2k. For $5k you should be able to find a half decent 740T.

If you want to run 8 seconds to 100km/h, factor in $50 for a simple boost controller and maybe think about putting some money into your exhaust. But, really, you should get the basics right first (search for "stage zero")...and that is certain to cost you more than you budget for, whatever you budget.

tim

yeah i mean im spending around 5 n over n i should have a bi more for mods... how about the 200 series, how much is a really clean one with a bit of go, good condition?

ajwilson999 said:
yeah i mean im spending around 5 n over n i should have a bi more for mods... how about the 200 series, how much is a really clean one with a bit of go, good condition?

If you want a turbo in a 200 series, you'll have to put it in there yourself because they didn't make them RHD from the factory. Some have had more success than others in doing this.

If you want a fast Volvo and you don't want a turbo...you'd better start looking for a big hill. :rofl:

You might want to take a look at a 260 - with the 2.7L PRV V6. I wouldn't, but others would. Never going to be _really_ fast unless you force-feed it...your 8s to 100km/h is looking questionable. Apparently there was a froggy car (Renault?) with a turboed version of the same engine, which would make things interesting.

Another option is a non-Volvo engine transplant. Plenty of people here have dropped American Ford and Chev V8s into Volvos. I reckon a Toyota/Lexus V8 would be a magic engine in a Volvo. But you're starting to blow your budget there.

Seriously, for a fairly quick brick in your price range, the 700T are looking pretty hard to beat. I think Cam740 is still talking about selling his 744T - your best bet at catching him is to drop in on the monthly Aussie BS-talking thread (http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=50699).

tim

oh yeah me n cam speak alot about it... aint that right cammy boy.. lol. yeah i know im checking out his car in the future... (whenver his ready)... im really set on getting a 740T i was just wondering if i was missing out on anything else with a bit of bang for your buck... but all this talk has been helpfull ebcause ill be extra happy with the 740T. thanks for your help though mate

How about catching up with some of the Cam, Ben and myself on a weekend sometime?
We can probably give you a bit more info to help you make a decision.
You can then have a ride in any of the following:

740 Turbo with B230FT and auto (Cam)
360 with B23E, H cam and M47 manual (Cam)
240 with B230F, H cam, extractors and 2.25" exhaust, and M47 manual (Ben)
240 with B230F, H cam, extractors and 2.25" exhaust, and M47 manual (Ash)
850 T5 with B5234T, 2.5" exhaust and auto (Ash)

Each is very different, and the differences even in the 2 240s is like night and day. Depending on what your goals are you might find one of these platforms might take your fancy.

Admittedly you're not going to get an 850 for around the 5k mark, but its worth looking at for comparisons sake.

I'm not sure what Ben's 240 has cost so far, best to ask him, but 5k will certainly buy you a good starting point in a 240 or 740 and certainly something with potential.

If you want easy volvo power, then a 740T or 760T is a good starting point, a turbo 240 is a LOT more work (no factory RHD turbo 240s), but a quick N/A one is achievable to a point.

Me Sez: by grubbing-around & bodging things up, you could build a turbo 242 that even looked not completely horrible (from a distance) for ~$5k. Its' reliability would probably be questionable though, and as soon as you attend to just the suspension consumables you're up for damned close to 40% of the target cost.
I think you'd have to be very careful or lucky with the starter-vehicle, to get a result that wasn't a rattly dog.

Hey, did anyone take notice of how much that red 5spd 740T sedan in Sydney went for, on eBay? That'd probably get close to meeting the criteria, without any extra expendage.

Last edited:
for about ?2300 (rough guess) i would be looking at :

a 744ti (mine cost ?350)
Full 3 inch exhaust ?250
tint ?200
Lowering springs ?100 (mine cost ?26)
New shocks ?350
Spoiler ?50
17" wheels ?1000

Big differences between cars in Oz & the UK though. We're a lot less allergic to large cars, plus things don't rust anywhere near as badly here (I've seen pix of BMW E36 3-series cars with rust in them over there!).

Those prices are interesting ... the ?200 tint is < AU$200 here, to get a proper 3" exhaust is going to be close to AU$1000 (mine was ~AU$1500 dump-pipe-back), and a good base car is gonna be closer to AU$3500 than ?350 (even for an '86).

Forg said:
Big differences between cars in Oz & the UK though. We're a lot less allergic to large cars, plus things don't rust anywhere near as badly here (I've seen pix of BMW E36 3-series cars with rust in them over there!).

Those prices are interesting ... the ?200 tint is < AU$200 here, to get a proper 3" exhaust is going to be close to AU$1000 (mine was ~AU$1500 dump-pipe-back), and a good base car is gonna be closer to AU$3500 than ?350 (even for an '86).

ash has a contact that does exhausts for around 650 - including extractors in ben's case!!

bloody good buy IMO!!!

how have none of you bastards said "i'd buy cam's 740"???? :grrr: pricks! :grrr:

:-P :-P :-P

cam740 said:
ash has a contact that does exhausts for around 650 - including extractors in ben's case!!

bloody good buy IMO!!!

Oooh! How big a pipe does that buy you?

how have none of you bastards said "i'd buy cam's 740"???? :grrr: pricks! :grrr:

tedium said:
Seriously, for a fairly quick brick in your price range, the 700T are looking pretty hard to beat. I think Cam740 is still talking about selling his 744T

:???: :???: :???: :oops: :-P

tedium said:
Oooh! How big a pipe does that buy you?

In Bens case, it bought him extractors and a 2 1/4" setup.

In my case, $240 bought me a 2 1/4" setup on the 240 from the extractors back.

On the 850, $420 bought me a 2 1/2" setup from the cat back (admittedly it was a trickier system)

ashvolvo said:
In Bens case, it bought him extractors and a 2 1/4" setup.

In my case, $240 bought me a 2 1/4" setup on the 240 from the extractors back.

On the 850, $420 bought me a 2 1/2" setup from the cat back (admittedly it was a trickier system)

i can see donut visiting there after teh wedding!

Forg said:

Mine is ok with the rust. two very small patches underneath but thats all. I'm looking at doing a jetex 3" exhaust which will be about ?70 but i will have to keep the 2 1/2 downpipe for the moment.

Back