• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo with a wing?

cedrock15

Hey i have a question i have a 87 volvo 240gl and want one of them "ridiculous", "ugly", and other stuff people call them but theyre officially knows as racing wings and i want one. Is 52 inches big or small for a wing cuz thats all ebay has. If anyone has had one put on lmk the size and if it looks good on it, Thanks! :e-shrug:

[quote:a55f58737a]Hey i have a question i have a 87 volvo 240gl and want one of them "ridiculous", "ugly", and other stuff people call them but theyre officially knows as racing wings and i want one. Is 52 inches big or small for a wing cuz thats all ebay has. If anyone has had one put on lmk the size and if it looks good on it, Thanks! [/quote:a55f58737a]

:pow: NO :pow: NO :pow: NO :pow: NO :pow: NO :pow: NO

Ok, so ewerybady has told you their opinion now...

Ok, I may agee with them, but it's still a board where we shouldn't make fun of each other, right?

They might be found in Sweden from at least this company
http://realcar.e-line.nu/servlet/us_pyra?wts.PAGE=h_skyltw.htm&$SELKEY=UNVT0ALU&$22901=UNVT0ALU&p=H

Ok, when you are in there, check out the rsuper-ricey other stuff they sells. Oh my God!!!

www.realcar.se and choose english...

Check this S40 out!!
http://realcar.e-line.nu/e-line/images/products/unvt0102694.jpg

Unless you take those cars onto a track where you can safely get them up to speed so the wing will actually do something, why oh why would you want to add weight behind the rear wheels? :bs:
Oh wait, I get it...itz jes fo dekarayshun... :woowoo:

some wings start to work past 60/70 mph, those big ones are inteded for speeds in excess of a 100. this is what i heard, but im sure if you have a functional wing that it will benefit you in some way even if you just drive down the park way

TaskMule said:
Unless you take those cars onto a track where you can safely get them up to speed so the wing will actually do something...

I suggest cornering speed on a road course might not be much higher (if at all) than some highway exit ramps I have taken.

And at what speed does a wing start to work? Not a simple answer.

It's much easier to just say you don't like it, rather than trying to say it's not functional.

"why oh why would you want to add weight behind the rear wheels?"

---RANT MODE ON----

Well, you see there Einstein, 240's are REAR WHEEL DRIVE. :rant: :pow:

Asking a question like that to someone who has a RWD car is a much surer sign you are a clueless riceboy than any wing. I'm sorry, but it's true.

Adding weight to the rear will aid traction and weight transfer and bring the car weight balance closer to 50/50. IN a sense any weight is bad weight, but weight on the rear of a 240 is the not the dumbass pointless move you seem to think.

I'm also a little annoyed with the fact that so many people here insist THEY KNOW how a car is supposed to look and anyone who does not agree is stupid or a ricer or both.
Give it a rest and just enjoy the fact that most of us live in free countries where people can enjoy the finest neon and etc freely if they so choose. It's not like its hurting you.

If they annoy you because they think their cars are fast, then race them and beat them. Otherwise live and let live. Or I will continue to flame the shit out of you whenever I feel the urge. :wink:

---RANT MODE OFF---

the wing on that pic i posted will begin to function probably around 50mph because its up where it needs to be and is angled pretty steep.
the group-a wing with the racing risers was able to put about 40lbs of pressure on the tail at 120kmh and its fairly small in comparison.

you'd be suprised at the difference at around 80mph or so now with the group-a wing at the added stability... its quite noticable when you have big squishy baloon tires and shot bushings.

[quote:0e3d3fd8f7]---RANT MODE ON----

Well, you see there Einstein, 240's are REAR WHEEL DRIVE.

Asking a question like that to someone who has a RWD car is a much surer sign you are a clueless riceboy than any wing. I'm sorry, but it's true. [/quote:0e3d3fd8f7]

Take it easy there, Bondo, I drive a rear wheel drive car too, check my sig...
Your cynicism not withstanding, no, it's not hurting me. But, since the guy asked for my opinion, I gave it.
Easy does it, Captain, it's just a web board.. Sheesh.

this is somethign ive been noticing lately, this IS just a web board, some people take it way out of proportion and make it their home and their lives, swearing by the "code" of the forum or chat room or irc server.

but after many years of the progress that the net has made, in a lot of ways it has turned into a world totaly of its own, and a world indeed.

i dont really have a point... its late and ihave work in 4 hours... bah

i say that it is your car and do whatever at the end of the day makes you happy. if the wing is something that appeals to you then go for it. it is your car. you're the one who has to look at it and drive it so do what works for you.

the black s40 with the wrx style body kit is similar to a kit i plan to put on my car as soon as i build my engine to the point i can back up the kit.

Liking the wing or not liking it is an opinion. That's fine. But asking why anyone would want weight back there suggests it is likely an underinformed or poorly thought out one.

If a person does mods with a clear understanding of how they will affect his car- both the positives and negatives, he is logically and intelligently modifying his car.

Ricers seem to modify their cars randomly, based on BS info they read in car mags not on simple laws of physics. I found it ironic someone was *knocking* "rice" mods in the same fashion.

And I'm not freaking out, I'm just a debater at heart. ;-)

It's a pretty agressive kit, and I think an 850 air dam under a 240 is still one of the best choices, but I'd totally consider modding that air dam for a 240. Should go pretty easy...

And dana is right. Go for a drive on the freeway and stick your hand out the window. the air puts a pretty decent amount of force on your hand even at 50mph- and that is a pretty small surface area compared to a wing.

UniqueTII said:
[quote:cccd44d0aa="tryckj?vel"]
this is rice: http://user.tninet.se/~fzs975r/plast.o.son/v200fri.htm

That's the same color as my car. :-([/quote:cccd44d0aa]

Don't be offended, like others said, we all have opinions. I like the color, but it is similar to a rice-boy or 2 that I know personally.
At least you took made a choice and painted it instead of riding in a multi-primered POS like I have done before.

Back