PDA

View Full Version : SCCA Autocross - Washington DC - Aug.10 - HUGE LOT!!!

towerymt
07-21-2003, 02:48 AM
Registration is open and there are currently 133 spots remaining, which will go fast. Prepayment is required.

http://www.autocrossers.com/cgi-bin/WDCR5.pl

Cost is $30, or $25 for SCCA members.

***The DC region of the SCCA already uses a very large lot by autocross standards, but this next event will be held on the same lot used for the June 21-22 SCCA National Tour autocross. It's probably about 2x the size, so the course will be very long and very fast. None of those tight turns, annoying 40ft. skidpads, short slaloms, or any overlapping of the course.

mikep
07-21-2003, 09:32 AM
Is there an alternative to mailing in a credit card number or check? I wish they had online payment.
Anyway, I am registered as #8 HS in the green wagon.
This will be the last DC event, correct?
Might be a good one for all the more or less local drivers to attend (PA, Jersey, SC, etc).

blkaplan
07-21-2003, 09:51 AM
it is not the last there is on in september, the 14th, if I remembe correctly.
I wont be there because I will be autoxin in florida :-)

towerymt
07-21-2003, 02:11 PM
http://www.autocrossers.com/

Sept. 14 and Oct. 19 also at FedEx Field, but I assume those events will be back to the usual lot.

mikep
07-21-2003, 07:24 PM
cool. must have misunderstood someone, or he was misinformed.

fullup1
07-24-2003, 08:33 AM
My co-op here with Yokohama ends on the 8th of August, and I'm from Alexandria, so I'll be back home on the 9th with the Turbo DL, making sure it's ready for the 10th.

I've got #12 SM in a Maroon 242 DL.

Even better news is that there's an autocross at Radford for the Blue Ridge Region on the 17th...autocross 2 weeks in a row is the only way to go.

towerymt
07-24-2003, 05:22 PM
That's cool, can't wait to see another 240 out there. Just a reminder that you have to pre-pay, unlike most events.

I'm pretty sure I can beat Mike's wagon, but I may have trouble with a turbo. The couse is very long and very fast. What suspension modifications have you done?

fullup1
07-27-2003, 09:47 AM
So far hardly any suspension mods, just Koni Sports all around with turbo sways, I might try and get some IPD springs between now and the race, but money is running low, so that might have to wait.

Probably the biggest difference on the car is the A032Rs I'm running. Those tires alone cut off 5~10 second easily. To put it in perspective, there's a pretty good guy down here who races a TDI Golf (HS), and he beat me by 5 seconds when I was on street tires. With A032Rs, I beat him by anywhere from 1.5 to 5 seconds, before putting the turbo on.

Hopefully I won't blow up the car before this race, I'm having problems getting the Hayden relay working for controlling the fan, I might just have the fan run whenever the car is turned on, it's certainly the safest route.

mikep
07-27-2003, 01:33 PM
I'm pretty sure I can beat Mike's wagon
Oh, so THAT'S what the gauntlet sounds like when it hits the ground!
Remember, I have had more experience standing by cars.
I may have to install the Spoonsports Volvo engine...

towerymt
07-27-2003, 10:54 PM
[quote:bde885ee24="towerymt"]
I'm pretty sure I can beat Mike's wagon
Oh, so THAT'S what the gauntlet sounds like when it hits the ground!
Remember, I have had more experience standing by cars.
I may have to install the Spoonsports Volvo engine...[/quote:bde885ee24]

Whatever it takes to win...

I have tricks up my sleeve too. :wink: I'm open to making a wager on the outcome, should that interest you. I'll have to see what you bring to the event, but the "240S" is going down!

mikep
07-28-2003, 07:55 PM
I may need to take that "S" off in the interest of losing weight..

towerymt
07-28-2003, 09:33 PM
I may need to take that "S" off in the interest of losing weight..

Leave the 'S', remove the rear hatch instead.

blkaplan
07-29-2003, 12:09 AM
THIS SUX I WANNA COME ILL BE AUTOXIN IN FL. :-) :-(

mikep
07-29-2003, 09:38 AM
I won't be able to post any more, for the next week I'll be watching instructional race vids like "Smoky and the Bandit" in hopes of improving my slalom prowess.

fullup1
08-05-2003, 04:51 PM
I've been getting the emails from the DC region organizer, and they all say I need to be there at 11:30am for tech and check in. Does this mean there won't be room to park my car/change my wheels if I come earlier to watch the other cars race?

It doesn't seem like there'd be any reason for me to not come earlier, get prepared, walk the course in the morning with the early run group, watch the early group run, then get teched at the appropriate time, get another chance to walk the course, then run the course.

Some other things you all do in this region have been different also though, so I'd like to make sure I'm not breaking some of your rules by going early.

towerymt
08-06-2003, 12:29 AM
By all means show up early. The first car should go off at 9am sharp for the morning session, so you'll be able to walk the course as much as you want up until 9. There will be a HUGE pit/paddock area, so no worry about not enough room. You could get there at 8, walk the course a few times (it will take 15min to walk I'm sure), watch some runs, go change tires, watch some more runs, grab a BBQ sandwich, walk the course again, maybe twice, then do the drivers meeting and be ready to run in the afternoon. If you want to get there really early, you could help with course setup if they need it and get your work assignment done for the day.

I'll have my camera with me and I plan to stay until the end of your run group, so I can probably get some good shots. If I can find someone to spot for me, I'll get out on course right in the middle. The course will go around the perimeter of the lot for the most part.

fullup1
08-06-2003, 06:31 AM
Good deal, I'll probably bring my camera, and possibly my minidv camcorder to get some of the different cars' runs. I'm used to events down here with like 100 cars MAX, so 250 will be a bit of an experience.

It seems like there's nothing to lose and a lot to gain by getting there early, so I'll see if I can get there by 7:30.

Thanks for the information.

mikep
08-06-2003, 06:06 PM
I need to follow in your steps with tech and such, if you don't mind.
I'll be there at 7:30 if I ever get this engine fired up. Block is in, head is on.

mikep
08-10-2003, 08:43 PM
We went.
We autocrossed.
We ate pit barbecue and didn't contract unpronounceable ailments...yet...
4 bricks, quite a few other Volvos, I think.
Dang, I shoulda talked to the guy with the race-car-looking 240.

towerymt
08-11-2003, 04:57 AM
Dang, I shoulda talked to the guy with the race-car-looking 240.

That would be Doug Margush, one of the safety stewards I believe. I forgot to ask him about the motor. I wanted to see the B20 with dual webers that replaced the B23 that he used to have in that '83 244.

Nice job on beating my time. Not hard considering how I drove, though. :wink: I really think I should have been in the 66 range. I already knew the course since I drove it at the national event, so maybe that's why I was too aggressive. There were two right hand sweepers that I knew exactly where I wanted to be, but I just couldn't put the car on the right line.

mikep
08-11-2003, 09:10 AM
I know what you mean about overdriving, I was surprised I had any tread left.
The first downhill slalom was tough, I just couldn't convince myself to proceed with caution.

mikep
08-13-2003, 08:57 PM
Are the results posted yet?
I want to see how badly the brothers with the Mazda on Hoosiers whipped me.

towerymt
08-14-2003, 02:10 AM
Results:

http://www.autocrossers.com/WDCR5.html

A Volvo in SM, FSP, STS, and 2 in HS.