• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The Rebuild of the Slovo - Header finally done!!

grebnut

TheSlovo
300+ Club
So I figure I will make a new thread because the old one is... well... old.

I have been working on a few things as of late. Got my new wiring harness and 4 bar map sensor from rs-autosport. And no, thats not a typo. :-D

I also bought a collector kit from some guy off the internet for $50 because I was procrastinating so badly on making a collector for the new manifold. (It doesn't come welded, just cut at the proper angles)

56515480.jpg

56515489.jpg

So then I made some pipes, and welded the living **** out of everything. :) Here, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

56530270.jpg

56530271.jpg

56530276.jpg

56530281.jpg

56530284.jpg

56530286.jpg

56530287.jpg

56530293.jpg

So, anyways, I'm really happy with the way it turned out. Pretty much just what I have had in mind for the last year or so. :) Just finally got around to doing it.

Ben

Hey Ben, that's fantastic. What are you using for steel? Is the flange mild or stainless? ditto for the pipes... thickness? pipe size?

and just how the F did you weld between the pipes near the collector? :) did you have to cut the filler rod short to keep from arcing? Inquiring newbie welders want to know.

many thanks.

Mike

i envy skills like that....

is the turbo going to clear the hood???

Firstly, THANKS!! I appreciate the positive response.

Yes, it easily spools at 3k with the stock pre '90 manifold so i assume it should spool even quicker and earlier with this one. It's a Holset HY35W that I've been running for the last year.

Yes, it clears the hood with about 1-1.5" to spare. (Though, this is with 1" spacer blocks in the back so it will probably be pretty tight once those come off. But I think it will still clear with room to spare then.)

Both flanges are mild, pipes are all mild sch40 1.5"i.d. (2 different bend radii(sp?) for the weld els that i used) except the collector, which is 321 Stainless just because thats what the guy sent me. Didn't really need it but its cool anyway.

Haha... Mike, that part is very tricky. Cut the filler rod short? I fail to see what that would have to do with arcing? are you familiar with TIG? What I ended up having to do is turn up the gas flow and pull the Tungsten farther out of the cup to get to certain spots and weld at ridiculous angles to the work. It's kind of a PITA, but not the worst ive done for sure.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Ben

Oh yeah, and Doug, HAHA... And yeah man! I'll teach you.

Last edited:
Ben, that is amazing, what is the ETA on completion of this thing? I'll be home for spring break on March 11th, I can't wait to see it! About what is the length of the runners? Looks soo cool man, its finally all coming together. You should post up pics on the e30tech, I'm sure they would appreciate the skills. Anyway, talk to you later man.

matt

Back