• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Project Slow

))<>((

Addicted242boost
Project Slow & Low

Figured I'd clean up this thread and just list whats done.

The Car 1987 244 no sunroof, manual windows, m47, 315k @ purchase.

Exterior
Newer replaced headlights
Tint: 6% rear, 32% front
Clear (amber bulb) sidemarkers

Interior
Stock black/grey interior
Pioneer DEH-P3800MP MP3 Player
Blue Cluster bulbs
Temp. board mod
Dashmat
Full teardown, clean, reassembly
No headliner
Oil Pressure Gauge
AC converted to R134 (cold interior mod)

Suspension
KYB Gas Adjust Shocks & Struts
Stock cut springs (3 coils)
Kumho HP4 Tires (205/60/16)
Volvo Hydra 16x6.5" wheels

Performance
2.5" downtube back exhaust (2.5" cat, 2.5" c/c magnaflow w/tip)
Removed preheat tube
Airbox mod + swiss cheese mod
K Cam (not installed)

Day of Purchase:
P1020586.jpg

As it Sits:
hydra.jpg

Last edited:
The sale completion of my VW is today so some $$ will be coming in. Planning to order Koni's and add mp3 deck this week.

Update 1:

Well I've officially owned the car for one week. Heres what I've done during the first week:

Installed newer headlamps as the old ones were yellow. Borrowing from a friend until I get E-codes or other plastic lenses.
P1020588.jpg

Installed a Pioneer DEH-P3800MP Mp3 player w/ Rear Aux to plug in an ipod or laptop
P1020593.jpg

Installed fender turn indicators (yes I know they are backwards, they wont fit the right way...yes i tried them in each fender)
P1020592.jpg

Installed some KYB's all around (this thing had 316K on the STOCK suspension from '87) Also cut the springs (3 coils) I'll get Koni's after I sell my VW Wheels.
P1020590.jpg

Hopefully next week I will have tint installed along with some black virgos.

Week 2

Got my windows tinted on Friday. 6% back, 32% front. I will post pictures tomorrow.

Spent all of Saturday taking out my seats, carpet, sound deadener and cleaning everything. Went through a ****eload of upolstry cleaner and some simple green to clean up the coke someone spilled in 1989. Also learned to hate children and their messes even more. I swear the interior of this car has never been cleaned :/

Filty under the seats (as expected)
P1020600.jpg

P1020601.jpg

I hate children.
P1020603.jpg

Check out all the leaves (even behind the freaking dash)
P1020604.jpg

Yum, I love soda. Somehow about ~20 years of coke can make the sound deadener bubble.
P1020606.jpg

All bettah
P1020607.jpg

Stripped a bit
P1020609.jpg

Cleaned
P1020610.jpg

P1020611.jpg

Will get some pics of the tint and interior seats installed tomorrow. Wheels to come soon...

are you leaving the sound mats in or out?

they sure are heavy but it does help to keep her from humming on the highway

blkaplan said:
are you leaving the sound mats in or out?

they sure are heavy but it does help to keep her from humming on the highway

On my previous 242 I took them out but the increase in noise was very noticable.. But with a 3" exhaust it pretty much didn't matter. after cleaning them down and draining one of water I put them back in. This thing wont be fast so I'll keep its comfort features for now.

Lookin good, you sure cleaned that interior up. So 6% in the back huh? Not 5%? Not 5.7%, but an even 6%? :) Can't wait to see pics of it. I woulda done 5% all around but I do see your reasons for 35% on the side, especially on a daily driver.

Ya 5% is the usual. For some reason the shop I go to has it labeled as 6%. Im pretty sure its the same thing.

Cleaned up interior:

P1020618.jpg

P1020619.jpg

Tha Tint
P1020614.jpg

P1020615.jpg

P1020617.jpg

Nice and dark during the day :)
P1020620.jpg

At night the side windows are pretty hard to see in and It would be cool to do 5% all around but even at 32% its illegal in good ol california. Wheels are up next..i keep procrastinating :p

Picked up some Virgos that I will be spraying flat black and got help with replacing the stock cluster clock with a tach. unf unf. Need to source out some tires and make a run to PNP for some virgo lugs. Hoping to have them installed by Friday.

Last edited:
Today I got a 2.5" downtube back exhaust. 2.5" magnaflow cat, pipe to rear muffler location into a 2.5" oval c/c magnaflow and some 2.5 or 3" chrome tip. Looks and sounds nice. Ill get some pictures tomorrow.

Nice car. That is the same interior that I have in my 1988 244. I don't see that a lot, but again it looks like it wears well. Are you going to convert to power windows? Good job with the clean up.

mr brick driver said:
Nice car. That is the same interior that I have in my 1988 244. I don't see that a lot, but again it looks like it wears well. Are you going to convert to power windows? Good job with the clean up.

Yes I plan on converting the front and maybe the rear to power windows. I've done it before so the only issue is dealing with the hole left by the crank handle. Maybe a tweeter or cool volvo logo :p

Just ordered some 205/50/15 Falken Ziex-512's from Discount Tire. $220 shipped, not too shabby. Should be here by Friday at the latest. Also bought a K cam on ebay this week. Update with pictures this weekend.

**I've also officially gone over my budget of $1,000 on modifications. I'm going to try to keep it under $1500 now :D

I got tint pics up :-P I get my tires tomorrow. Going to capitola for the weekend so I dunno if theyll be on this weekend or not.

wash the rims.. damn worst breakdust build up ever hehe looks pimp thow id drive the hell out of it :volvo:

Back