• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

method for tinting rear tail lights?

You can use Testor's model spray paint in 'Translucent Black'. It can be found in most hobby stores. The difficult part is applying the paint evenly. Its probably best to buy an extra can so you can practice on an expendable surface before shooting the lights. Make sure the lenses are clean prior to paint and follow up w/clear coat after the tinted coat is dry.

another good paint (if you're careful) is plastic paint, like the kind at hardware stores used for repainting plastic chairs and stuff like that. sprays on ok and looks ok (did it with my signal lenses

SL8Brick said:
You can use Testor's model spray paint in 'Translucent Black'. It can be found in most hobby stores. The difficult part is applying the paint evenly. Its probably best to buy an extra can so you can practice on an expendable surface before shooting the lights. Make sure the lenses are clean prior to paint and follow up w/clear coat after the tinted coat is dry.

I have done it this way. I did one coat too much, so its way dark. I think it looks good, but the guys at inspection didn't. so, if you want it dark, you better have a friend that does inspections.;-)

Reaction time is proportional to the magnitude of stimulus. Why sacrifice safety for sake of some ill conceived "kewel" image?

Are we fitting over-powered signal lamps to overcome the transmission loss through dark lenses?

Otherwise...hey, why not just get rid of your lights altogether? I'm sure that would look really "kewl"...unless anybody actually wants to see what you are doing...

tim

I am kind of with tedium on this one. I can see tinting a spare set of tail lights that you use if you goto car shows or something. But with more and more people driving aggressively these days, I definately wouldn't want to tint the tail lights and increase chances of an accident. I wonder if it would be your own fault if you got rear ended while using the tinted tail lights on the road. Too many risks for me and personally I don't think it looks all that cool.

Not trying to flame you just seeing if you think its worth it for something you will not see 90% of the time.

im sure riding his bike he has more experience with people not seeing him braking... and hopefully is aware of the attention of the driver behind him.

However, i agree its kinda lame on a volvo... seen pics, didnt like it. But if you do, go for it. A trick you can do to double the lights power is using the double element bulbs like for turn signals, and soldering the points at the bottom together. They will heat up a bit more though so they will burn out sooner

bitjockey/Robin's 740 with a very light spray of trans-black. This is about as much as you want to go. Ideally you could reduce black down with clear paint (not clear coat) which has no pigment and make it as translucent as you want.
3242290_P7190101.jpg

Boris740 said:
Reaction time is proportional to the magnitude of stimulus. Why sacrifice safety for sake of some ill conceived "kewel" image?

haha i ride a crotch rocket everyday commuting 14 miles into phx, im not too worried about my car. my car is for getting groceries 2 miles down the street, since i cant get groceries on my bike.

fengler said:
ooooh i like that the most, i think i will do that, it looks quewl but at the same time fully functional.

Yea, I did my whole lights:
garagepics005.jpg

new1002.jpg

lights(not brake) on at night:
night1002.jpg

lights on towards sun-down time:
night.jpg

on during day:
lights002.jpg

I'd like to get some 90+ tails and tint them lightly next time, but I think these lights look pretty good since I have the front end sort of black and the blackish rims.

i like the half red half black effect on the other guys post the most, but i also like the way you did your headlights, do you spray the inside or outside of the lens?

fengler said:
i like the half red half black effect on the other guys post the most, but i also like the way you did your headlights, do you spray the inside or outside of the lens?

I put like 4 coats of that testors paint on the outside. I didn't realize how dark it would be. I think I am gonna try some acetone or something to thin the paint a bit.

Back