• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The difference between IPD lower brace the Volvo brace...

tjts1

The Volvo brace also fits the early 960. IPD brace not so much or so they claim. Looks like someone designed the Volvo brace with the 960 in mind. The weird crooked shape fits perfectly around the wide 960 oil pan.
Picture051.jpg

There is about 1/4" clearance between this bolt and the brace.
Picture056.jpg

The exhaust is pretty tight too. If the passenger side engine mount ever fails i'll know it in a hurry.
Picture059.jpg

Part number is 3526694, $53. Local dealer had a 10% discount for online orders. Don't forget to also ask for the mounting hardware.

Chris_R said:
So this is a good piece?

I seem to have one on my car already. :-D

thats a front brace? anyone think that thing will fit a 780?

hint: my local dealership says it will fit on a '90 740

Last edited:
So I guess it comes out to ...

Volvo brace > iPd brace
Cherry Turbo brace > Volvo brace
T-bricker's backyard welded brace $ < any of the above.

-- Kane ... who has the CT braces on the 745.

blarf said:
So, go drive it now.
WOW!
This is by far the best bang for the buck suspension upgrade. Everything about the front end feels different. First thing I noticed was more vibration through the steering wheel and pedals driving over familiar streets. Steering just feels sharper with small imputs. I can't wait to take it out on some of my favorite twisties. The front shocks are 120k miles old and soon to be replaced but the brace definitely reduced brake drive. I don't understand how but it did. Its very pronounced. Maybe these changes are more pronounced on heavy ass 3600lb 960. I don't know.
Next on the list of things to do is to bring toe back in to spec, new boge gas shocks and dial in a little more caster with some shims. Anyway, if you liked poly strut rod bushings get this brace. I wonder if the top brace makes as much difference.
PetesDustyVolvo said:

Vadis shows the same part number for just about every year 740, 760, 780, 940 including V6 cars.
socalsean said:
A brace is a brace...as long as it isn't flimsey...whatever.
Exactly. I can see why they left this out of US market cars if you are looking for pure comfort. But I wish I had bought this a long time ago.

Last edited:
I say do a top brace too.

I tripped out when I ran my 242 with the upper and lower braces coupled with the coilovers.

Tight and fun to drive...a huge difference in handling.
Very easy to notice the difference and made the car a joy to drive.

I (almost) envy you guys the discovery of all these upgrades... I have a feeling I'd be disappointed to drive a stock 7.

I do have to say that I'm happy to have a nicely modded car and not have the hassle (read: expense) of discovery.

Oh yeah, I do still have the upper brace to get - so that's something. :lol:

tjts1 said:
WOW!
This is by far the best bang for the buck suspension upgrade. Everything about the front end feels different. First thing I noticed was more vibration through the steering wheel and pedals driving over familiar streets. Steering just feels sharper with small imputs. I can't wait to take it out on some of my favorite twisties. The front shocks are 120k miles old and soon to be replaced but the brace definitely reduced brake drive. I don't understand how but it did. Its very pronounced. Maybe these changes are more pronounced on heavy ass 3600lb 960. I don't know.
Next on the list of things to do is to bring toe back in to spec, new boge gas shocks and dial in a little more caster with some shims. Anyway, if you liked poly strut rod bushings get this brace. I wonder if the top brace makes as much difference.

Heh. I didn't notice that much of a difference in terms of ride quality or steering responsiveness in my car, must be the Bilsteins. I certainly didn't notice increased vibration in the pedals. The only time I really noticed a difference was on the long sweeping turns where I have room to go fast... and suddenly I noticed I was going much faster than I used to.

I have one on an 89 780 with V6 with no clearance issues...
(Thanks Foggy! )

PetesDustyVolvo said:

Last edited:
I think it has nothing to do with srtaight roads versus twisties. Many european cars came to North America with detuned susepensions becasue the quality or our roads here suck compared to Europe where roads are built properly with deep enough bedways and less frost heave/cracked asphalt. Potholes the size of garbage cans in our major cities are not tolerated in many European cities so they can get away with finely tuned suspensions, without having to worry about the crap quality road surfaces.

CHESH740R said:
Ahh you have to many straight roads over there, thanks to having twisty's here, we got them as standard.

Back