• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AW to M90 conversion finally done! (Lots Pics)

Julio

Finally installed my M90. I did it over two weekends. I used the M46 flywheel/PP and disk.
Yellow PP and Carbon fiber clutch disk were purchased from Clutchnet. M46 23 tooth spline section on the disk was substituted with a 20 tooth spline . Over all I have to say that it's been the toughest job to date that I have performed on my car. When I say tough, I mean how labor intensive the job really is. Probably because of how heavy of a beast the aw71 is. I put the car up on four jack stands and used a hydraulic tranny jack with the articulating plate. I tell you that jack is worth it's money in gold three times over. Complexity wise I think the job was pretty easy. All the right tools is a definite must for all those comtemplating the task. As for driving impressions, don't really have any. The car is currently off the road(no plates). Has been for the past couple of months. I did do a quick late night around the block test drive and hoped for the cops not to catch me. I have to say that it is a very sweet shifting transmission. It has a higher end feel to it when compared to the M46. I also wanted to test drive the 3:31 rear I installed. The 3:73 made the engine run out of revs at very low mph. Everything checked out ok on my brief test drive so i'm happy.:) I plan on putting it on the road again as soon as I sell my 90 740T.

Edit: Many thanks to all those who have undergone similar conversions and posted info about them. Through many hours of searching and countless pm's I was able to gather all the tid-bits of info needed to make this conversion possible. If any of you have any questions regarding any of the work I have performed on my car. Please feel free to ask.

46864497.jpg

60156775.jpg

60156776.jpg

60156779.jpg

60156777.jpg

60155553.jpg

60156771.jpg

60156772.jpg

60155402.jpg

60155427.jpg

62081902.jpg

62081903.jpg

62081896.jpg

62081899.jpg

62081900.jpg

62081901.jpg

62081895.jpg

62081897.jpg

62081898.jpg

I'm also showcasing my new black 1997 960 interior. :-D

Enjoy :)

Last edited:
blkaplan said:
lose that clock,

it reminds me of this
Flavor_Flav2.jpg

Not bad, It only took five posts for some one to say something.:lol:

It was a gift from one of our fellow bricksters. I only take it out when I have work to do on my cars. I don't like working with a watch on my wrist.;-)

Very very nice, does it use the same driveshaft as the AW?

Edit: i see in your sig you have a list of upgrades, been to the 1/4 mile lately?

Certainly not - the M90 is a lot shorter. You need an M90 prop. We're not sure yet if you can use the standard rear-half. They're the same length, etc...but the prop is balanced as a whole and only fits together one way.

cheers

James

impulse922 said:
Very very nice, does it use the same driveshaft as the AW?

Edit: i see in your sig you have a list of upgrades, been to the 1/4 mile lately?

I used the M90 front shaft with the aw71 rear. Each half was balanced individually. While on jacks I spinned the rear tires to 100mph and felt no substantial vibrations. We'll see how it feels once the road.

I'm not really into doing any track with my car. All the work done is more for the driving experience. I do plan on doing a few dyno pulls eventually.

Back