• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Expert rust repair

foggyjames

Procrastinating since 2001!
Well as you know, I bought Nessy (my 340 daily beater) so I could learn the tricks of the bodywork trade on a car which needed plenty of work.

I decided to have a poke at the rusty area at the base of the drivers side A pillar. It had obviously had the existing rust covered up with filler, so I knew what lurked underneath wasn't going to be pretty, but still, I wasn't quite ready for what greeted me by the time I'd got back to solid metal...

rust_bits.jpg

rust_hole1.jpg

rust_hole2.jpg

I ground back to clean metal, then painted it up in primer, then sprayed the primer with laquer to make it water-tight. This is my 'quick fix' for making rusty metal sound.

rust_primer.jpg

Now clearly this is a structurally integral part of the car, so I needed to make sure that the material I put back would maintain the integrity of the safety cell. I found a suitable patching material in the house...

rust_bottle.jpg

I cut a chunk out of it, and test-fitted my expertly crafted patch.

rust_patch1.jpg

rust_patch2.jpg

Finally, I painted it up using primer, awaiting final installation and filler to smooth out the join.

rust_patch3.jpg

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Don't worry, this is only a temporary "stop the cops pulling me over" fix. Next month (if all goes according to plan) I'm buying (most likely) a kick-ass (for DIY) MIG, and this will be one of the first jobs.

cheers

James

You're #2.

I used aluminium foil tape to patch up the wheel wells in my '78 244L. :-D

Worked surprisingly well.

Back