• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Proof of insanity (Bought a 740 TD.)

that is a really nice car! i wish we got that model over here. I would so buy one with the price of fuel these days. What sort of milage do you think it'll get??

lol...that's awesome. I'm an idiot when it comes to biodiesel, but I've heard you can run pure cooking oil in them. Is this true? What exactly can be run in them except biodeisel, of course.
Oh yea...lower it.

adam_c said:
You can run cooking oil, commonly called WVO (Waste Vegetable Oil), but this fuel is technically illegal ...
Illegal my ****ing ass. The real reason is that oil companies don't want you running anything that will hurt their profits.

They say Chinese restaurants are the best source for WVO, so if you can, do it!

-- Kane ... free fuel FTW!

Well I am jealous. I have wanted one of these for quite some time now. but it would be a Wagon with a M47 tranny. I would do the basic mods however, e-fan, 3 inch exhaust, Intercooler addition, lowering, and BioDiesel.

You know...they are UBER rare, but 940's with that derv engine could be had with the M90 box :-D But anyway...take the rear exhuast box out and replace with pipe, they sound soooo nice!
Griz

adam_c said:
I bought a 740 Turbo Diesel with the Volkswagon D24T motor

Volvo D24T engine also called the Volkswagon LT35 engine just to be picky :-D

have fun with it. mod the injector pump, intercooler and get a hybid on there.

should be a nice economical cruiser...
use the right oil (not the grade specified by volvo) and it will last a long time.

the sounds of these engines is often horrible though... they have a very loud clatter, at least the few that i have seen/driven.

I wish we had them in Aus as well, I would've snapped one up, as then in our household we would have a 4 cyl TDi VW motor, a 5 cyl iDi motor and a 6 cylinder TD motor, ah well.

THe car looks good, and even in Australia the fuel can gel up during winter, assuming you use animal fat and not vegetable oil.

PWRPUFF said:
Illegal my ****ing ass. The real reason is that oil companies don't want you running anything that will hurt their profits.

They say Chinese restaurants are the best source for WVO, so if you can, do it!

-- Kane ... free fuel FTW!
It's technically illegal because road tax hasn't been levied against the fuel. You drive on the roads without paying the road tax (i.e. using untaxed farm fuel) you are technically breaking the law.

I wonder if electric vehicles are also technically breaking the law.

Nice, though. I don't have a diesel, but grew up around them (diesel Land Rover, diesel Rabbit, several diesel Fords) and like them.

Ryan..... James and I saw a 940TD with D24 intercooler at that high end Volvo breaker near your place in May when we were out looking for parts. It was certainly intercooled as James asked the guy if he would be willing to part out the intake mani, pipes and intercooler for someone here on TBs... The guy said he would only sell the engine complete.
That bad boy was definitely RHD, so pretty sure the UK got the Intercooled version of the VW engine at least in the 940 series, perhaps not the 700 seried though??

1straven said:
There is a kit available as the european turbo diesels came with intercoolers. The uk ones didn't

Back