• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Turbo Timer Install How-To

riseosiris

Modem Killa
I Finally got my Greddy Full Auto Timer installed and running perfectly! I absolutely love it! I thought I might share some details on the install in case anyone wants to do it without much fuss. Just FYI, this was done on a '91 745ti, and while I would assume that wiring colors are the same for all 7 series and maybe even 9 series :e-shrug: ...well, you know what happens when you assume

The main issue in the installation is the wiring (duh). Three of them must be hooked into the ignition switch. To access the wiring you must remove the 2 lower panels underneath the driver side dash. Reaching your right hand up approximately behind the ignition switch, you'll grab hold of a bundle of wires (and also grab hold of the most slimy substance known to man -tape residue-) If you trace the bundle back to the switch, you'll feel a large round connector, about 2 inches in diameter. There are no clips holding it on, so you can wiggle it off with little probelm. This allows you to see all the wires and attach the taps with ease. A word of warning! DO NOT take the connector apart. I did so in order to trace the pins (you just see a mess of wires coming out of the plug with no real order to them) Unfortunately, the pins inside are held on by the cap. Assuming you are stupid and attempt disassembly, wires will spring out, leaving you to figure out their proper place. Upon reassembly, you will then find that simply inserting your key into the ignition will cause your car to start :freak: Naturally, this would only happen if you were silly. :-P On to the wiring. There are 4 main wires that require hook up from the unit.

1.) Red - Constant 12v
This wire hooks to the beefy red wire coming out of the switch. There are actually 2, and I found it didn't matter which one you chose, both are constant 12v

2.) Blue - Accessory Wire (Becomes active when switch is in #2 position)
This is a beefy black wire, only one coming out.

3.) Green - On Wire (Switch in # 3 position)
Blue wire with red stripe.

4.) Black - Ground
Since I put my controller in the center console next to the lighter, I mounted it to a metal post inside.

Place your ignition switch back on, and then route your wires to wherever your unit will be (up and to the right is a pass-through to the center console).

Additionally, there are 2 safety wires, a brown one for the parking brake signal, and a purple one for the speed signal. These keep the car from being driven away while the TT is still running. I have not yet traced the speed signal going into the ECU, and as it doesn't really affect major operation (keeps you from being able to time 0-100/200kmh etc) I haven't bothered. If anyone knows which wire this is, by all means let me know (one of you megasquirt guys perhaps?) The parking brake switch works just fine. It'll shut off the unit if the brake is released.

5.) Brown - Parking Brake Safety Wire
Unscrew the 2 torx screws holding the tray underneath the brake lever. Detach the clip at the front holding the tray to the front console (right in front of the fuse box) You can now lift out the tray and you will find (amongst massive quanities of yellow lab hair...1st owners? :???: ) a brown wire running from the parking brake safety switch. Tap into this wire with the brown wire from the TT.

The only other thing I had to do was set up the TT to go off the ACC wire, and not the IG wire (this is in the sub-menus). Otherwise, it was pretty simple. If you have any questions please fell free. FYI, I picked up the unit from Ebay for about $80 including shipping, brand new.

-Lloyd

sounds about like my apex'i install. except i botched the wiring and ended up with switches for stuff 8-) (eh, the ignition switch was going bad anyway).

As a side note, the ms guys don't need to know vehicle speed for anything (unless you're refering to rpm, in either case, i wouldnt bother). Its a moot point if you've already pulled the keys out of the ignition, the steering is gonna be locked.

I'll have more on the instrument panel pinouts in a couple of days, I'm going thro the wiring on my car with a fine toothed comb.

Thanks for making such a great detailed post, I just used the instructions to install my FET TB-307 turbo timer that didn't come with directions. If anyone else has one of these there are a few diffrences. The on wire on mine was yellow instead of green and my parking brake wire is white.
thanks again
Eamonn

My 242+HKS timer was almost identical too. Piece of cake.

I'll share what I told JB when I was in WA:
JB- So how do you like your turbo timer?
Me- Oh its great for when I get home and gotta run in the house and take a shit... dont have to sit at the car and hold it
JB- :???:
Me- ya I got stomach problems

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

All 1988-1990 760, 1991 940se, and 960's this is the wiring setup

1.) Red - Constant 12v
This wire hooks to the beefy red wire coming out of the switch. There are actually 2, and I found it didn't matter which one you chose, both are constant 12v

2.) Blue - Accessory Wire (Becomes active when switch is in #2 position)
Big Orange wire

3.) Green - On Wire (Switch in # 3 position)
Big Blue wire

4.) Black - Ground
Since I put my controller in the center console next to the lighter, I mounted it to a metal post inside.

fet tb 307

hockey930 said:
Thanks for making such a great detailed post, I just used the instructions to install my FET TB-307 turbo timer that didn't come with directions. If anyone else has one of these there are a few diffrences. The on wire on mine was yellow instead of green and my parking brake wire is white.
thanks again
Eamonn
give us a clue how to wire it up without instruction as i have one

he just did...the parking brake wire is white, and the other wire was yellow, not green, but i would ASSume that everything else was straightforward except for that

This is great info thanks. I looked at putting one in a Volvo, but all those Japanese instructions are kind of intimidating. This post will help.

Dave

Question for anyone who has installed an Apex'i TT. For the wires coming from the TT, is the On Wire=green and Accessory Wire=blue? I presume they are, but just wanted to double check. Thanks.

you say tab the wires?

t_tap_connector_big.jpg

The Greddy manual says you need to cut them , i rater tap into them though if that worked for you

Nice write up and IIRC, the speed signal wire from the cluster to the computers is brown/white on a 940.

Back