• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

cowl hood??

240sleeper

im doing an ls1 swap, and was thinking about the hood clearance. i was thinking of possibly cutting out the raised section in my 960's aluminum hood and welding in a 2inch cowl for intake clearence. my biggest concern is the shape of the raised part of the hood. its shaped like a v, so im not sure on how hard it would be to weld in a straight cowl. and while were at it, can someone p shop a cowl on my hood for me making the rest of the hood flat??

thanks jason

The guy with the carb'd Ford 5.0L engine in his 740 has a cowl style hood on his car and it looks awesome. I forget his name on here at the moment, pretty sure he is from Calgary.

I have cowl induction on my car.
I modified a 1979 Mustang indy pace car cowl
The bottom 3 picture are when I first installed it and had it painted matte black, but didn't like it so I changed it to gloss black like in the top picture

P1010479.JPG

Leth_1.jpg

Leth_2.jpg

Leth_3.jpg

what type of bracing did you do to the hood , or is the cowl just sitting on top? i really want to cut out the v section in the hood and make it flat except for the cowl. i think that would clean it up nicely.

+1 on the tightest 700 front end, that and gatti's 700 wagon.

love what you did for the light surrounds/grille/hood.

cowl thats functional for the v8

what type of bracing did you do to the hood , or is the cowl just sitting on top? i really want to cut out the v section in the hood and make it flat except for the cowl. i think that would clean it up nicely.

The cowl is fully functional. No additional bracing was needed because the cowl added the support that was removed with the hood modification, this hood is also aluminium. If you look carefully in the following picture you can see the opening cut in the hood that lines up with the air cleaner tray

Engine+22.jpg

can you not just cut down each side, kinda like when you open a can of soup, lift up the center section, and weld in a pie shaped patch on each side?

Just cut a big hole and patch some tin basher's tin over top the way you like, weld, primer, and you're set.

Back