• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 Drifter

chopperead

Well bored and waiting for some replies to some threads i have started elsewhere so thought id start a project thread. I havent any pics yet but will whip some up shortly so people can look in ore at the prize posession.

I have a 940 4 door that i have bought purely to drift in i have done some servicing on it including belts oil change fuel filter change oil filter, spark plugs, leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm, changed brake fluid and other boring stuff.

I have fitted some Koni sport shocks and some Kilen 30mm springs and a boost gauge and controller.

Currently trying to weled the diff up and sort the valve clearance.

Future plans:

Learn to drift
Strip interior and anything i can to save some weight,
fit 2 bucket seats
Cossie T3 turbo
3 inch Zorst
Bigger intercooler either a Iveco Eurocargo II or a new ebay one
Browntops
HKS SSQV
Wideband A/F
Hydraulic handbrake

Firstly have you ever drifted before? If not YOU DONT NEED TO DO ANYTHING TO YOUR ENGINE. DRIFTING IS ALL ABOUT SUSPENTION. you see drifters drifting 105hp corollas and 130 hp 240sx's (U.S has ka24de, we dont have sr20dets in our 240sx's). Its all about suspention and the way you set it up. Yes its nice to have more power but what you need to do is put that money into your suspention so you can get out there and drift (on the track). Gut it, take the a.c / pwr steering out, get a narsty e-brake, racing seat (so you dont slide), LSD, and mainly suspention.

No i havent drifted before and i have read that power can just makes you think your drifting better, so your probably right i should prioritise my mods and sort the suspension before spending money on power.

I have my Koni's and springs any thoughts on what can be done next...

IPD Antiroll bars or sorry Antisway bar (forget were in USA)
Somehow try and sort camber (unsure of geometry)
sort toe in/out on front(unsure of geometry)
rear Toe in/out not possible is it becuase of the live axle ?

Cheers guys

No i havent drifted before and i have read that power can just makes you think your drifting better, so your probably right i should prioritise my mods and sort the suspension before spending money on power.

IPD Antiroll bars or sorry Antisway bar (forget were in USA)
Somehow try and sort camber (unsure of geometry)
sort toe in/out on front(unsure of geometry)
rear Toe in/out not possible is it becuase of the live axle ?

Cheers guys
hit up ben kaplan. get some coilovers and some camber plates
I drift all the time in my stock 944 NA
no you dont.

What is the rate of those springs?

If they are made for "volvos" they are most likely way too soft and will result in a horrible display of dipping and body roll,

One of the biggest keys to making volvos perform is adding a good amount of negative camber and positive caster.

Thats only possible by fitting coilovers and camberplates.

Springs are fairly hard and are a wopping 30mm drop, shocks are adjustable and i have the rears slightly harder than the front.

So have i just wasted my money on this set up ?

I probably have wasted my money if i was planning on competing but all i want to do really is learn and judging by a site i vist here in england you don't even need **** hot suspension to start drifting...

http://www.trampdrift.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep
"Good luck competing like that.
Suspension is very important, so is practice and skill, but power is necessary to do it well."

obviously you need to learn how to read. HE HAS NEVER DRIFTED BEFORE..."GOOD LUCK COMPETING LIKE THAT" IT SAYS NO WHERE HE IS COMPETING. Also power is not "necessary" to do it well. You obviously dont know anything about drifting.

Get some suspention (sways, shocks, springs, more camber would be nice) and get out there and drift. Clutch's/tires/diff's are going to cost you a lot of cash keep that in mind. If you are going to start drifting your car is going to turn into one big black hole that sucks your ca$h. The engine stuff can come later.

ummm... OMG CAPS LOCK ****! you'd probably do good to go down to your local track and ask for all the leftover tires, and try to judge what the typical size most people run, and get wheels accordingly.

I'd start with a new cam (k or something equally nasty) and clean up the airways, especially the exhaust(ie cat/muffler deletes) and you'll be on your way.

dont listen to 242tubgirl9, hes approximately 6 years old.

more noobs who dont know anything about drifting. Its all about suspention set up, but yeah sure make a few general powermods, but you will be the better drifter learning how 2 drift on stockish power. Learning on low power teach's you how to clutch-kick and e-brake which is very helpful. Learning on low power makes you have to drift in more of a "all out" or "balls to the wall" mannor. When you DO get some seat time, and you step it up a bit with a bit more power, you will now how to handle it and will be much better in comparison to a noob with an over-powered car who doesnt know how to drive it.. I am currently building a 242 drift car so all you fkin noobs stfu. If its going to be a complete track/drift car have you ever thought of going n/a?

P.S: By the way im a fellow brit!

Last edited:
242turbo9, you're a loser.

Just stop typing and learn some respect. Some of the those that you referred to as "noobs" are probably old enough to be your dad and smart enough to have given you away for adoption had they been your dad.

sorry sick of looking at b.s from people who have no clue what there talking about. I'm not making any claims im some " master volvo builder" im simply trying give advise on how to build a drift car. Yes, they probs are old enough to be my dad, drifting is a young persons sport so leave it to us young people who know wtf were talking about.

Back