• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Search results

1. Badfish740

Wiring upgrade for lighting

To anyone who hasn't been to Daniel Stern's lighting page and done the wiring conversion described therein DO IT NOW!!! I just finished mine tonight and the difference, especially the highbeams, is unbelievable. The best part is it cost me next to nothing, sort of. I had 30' of 10 gauge wire...
  2. Badfish740

New baby pics

Finally snapped some pics of my new daily driver. It's an '87 with 225K on the clock but it was pretty much rebuilt by a friend of mine before he sold it to me, as a matter of fact I helped him do a lot of the big jobs like the engine swap, etc... The engine and trans are from his wrecked '91...
  3. Badfish740

Tokico shocks-any good?

Tokico shocks seem to be all the rage on Ebay these days. I've seen them for 189.99 for a set of four for sale by guys who sell mostly rice parts. If I'm going to chop my springs I need a new set so if they're decent I'll pick up a set. Later, Matthew
  4. Badfish740

Need to paint my whip...suggestions?

My car must have spent its life in the parking lot from hell...it looks damn good from 20' away, but once you get close all the dings come out with a vengence. There's also a few dents here and there too. First and foremost I'm on a budget and if its gonna get done this summer it's a...
  5. Badfish740

Hacking my springs...measure twice cut once and other questions...

My '87 740 Turbo sits way too damn high, the rear with good reason. I talked to my friend (who previously owned the car) and he told me that the rear springs are overloads, I have no idea why, and I certainly don't need the extra capacity...I carry the usual breakdown stuff plus my stereo junk...
  6. Badfish740

Mixed up some rocket fuel...

I went over to Home Depot today and bought 2 gallons of Xylene. Xylene, I found out, is very close to Toluene, just a hair more expensive but it has a higher octane (117) rating. I paid $9.87 a gallon, but I'm sure I can get it from an autobody supply shop for cheaper in bulk. Anyway, the...
  7. Badfish740

Custom sub box and door speaker pics

I've been putting in some late nights out in my garage getting the stereo stuff ready for my new daily driver and came up with a few ideas. First I decided that I didn't want to eat up my trunk space with my old Q-logic sub box so I made one that will fit in the space formerly occupied by the...
  8. Badfish740

Door speaker idea...your thoughts?

Right now in my '87 740 I have a pair of Wal-Mart special Pioneer TS-G1347 5.25" 2 ways in my front doors. I have more than enough power running to them via a Sony X-plode amp and they still sound like crap. I was thinking of upgrading to a set of components-these actually...
  9. Badfish740

Kick panel speaker enclosures for 700 series?

I'm trying to come up with a better way to mount front speakers in my '87 740 and I'd love to be able to mount the speakers down low near the kick panels. A friend of mine has them in his truck (lots more legroom I know) and the imaging is phenonmenal-much better than two speakers in the...
  10. Badfish740

Chrome lugnuts?

Where can I get a set of chrome lugnuts for my 740 like the ones that are used with 240 turbo wheels? I'm pretty sure I read that the 200 and 700 series stud threads were different, so I guess I'm SOL there. Will Autozone or the like have nuts that will fit? If so what thread should I be...
  11. Badfish740

Failed inspection for unlevel suspension?

I got the inspection readout for my car recently (My dad took it for me) and it passed everything with flying colors except they claim they couldn't do the steering test because the suspension is not level? I've never never heard of such a thing-it looks level to me and I can't understand why...
  12. Badfish740

Emissions readout questions...

My dad took my car through inspection the other day and it failed (not for emissions, I'll get to that in another post), but I just wanted to see if anyone can give me an opinion on the readout. NOx standard is 1184-I passed barely with an 1167. HC standard is 157-I passed with a 97. The...
  13. Badfish740

Rod/wrist pin knock...now what do I do?

The verdict is pretty much in...I took my car to the local Volvo guy here in Caldwell, NJ. He's been working on Volvos for the better part of 30 years so I would trust his ear better than anyone else's. He thinks it's either a rod bearing or possibly a wrist pin. :rant: The question is now...
  14. Badfish740

Bad knock...why?

Ok, I think I've determined that the nasty sound coming from my motor is a bad knock (it seems to only make noise under load), but why is it knocking? I don't see why it would be the sensor because for all intensive purposes the motor shouldn't be knocking anyway. I run no less than 93 octane...
  15. Badfish740

Disturbing noise-please tell me it's not what I think it is

I went out for a little Thanksgiving speed run today and ran the car pretty hard for about an hour and on my way back I noticed something. When I punch the throttle I hear a knock coming from the engine. It's not a detonation knock, more like a "something is banging around inside knock." It...
  16. Badfish740

"Door ajar" alarm won't go off!!!

All of a sudden my door alarm won't turn off and it's SERIOUSLY annoying. Can someone tell me where it's located so I can just disconnect the damn thing? It's not all that important to me to go to the trouble of actually fixing it. Thanks, Matthew
  17. Badfish740

Clutch disengagement problems...HELP!!!

I just swapped a new M46 into my turbo project (The old one was starting to make some pretty nasty sounds), and I've got everything done but my clutch won't disengage. I put in a new slave cylinder and as far as I can tell I bled it out enough. Now when I got the new slave it didn't have the...
  18. Badfish740

Adjusting M46 linkage?

I read something about keeping the M46 linkage adjusted to make shifting smoother and to allow less trans abuse...The reason I ask is because my linkage seems very very loose and more than once I've shifted "in-between gears" or at least that's what it felt like. Also, I don't know if it's...
  19. Badfish740

BMW trans swap?

Even though the T5 swap is probably what I'll go for I've entertained this option as well...A friend of mine has an '80 or '81 BMW 733i with a 5 speed manual. I remember reading on the Brickboard a long time ago about how one of the older BMW transmissions were used in Volvos in Europe as well...
  20. Badfish740

Can we start a sticky regarding 740 T5 swaps?

I don't want to seem like I'm beating the T5 issue to death, but Doug's (awesome post btw :cheers: ) post got me thinking. I was flogging the newly broken in motor last night and really noticed what a piece of junk my M46 is. First of all, I second Doug's notion that it shifts like crap...
Back