• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Diesel Airbox

Originally, I was going to build an adapter flange to go from the plastic airbox to the rubber cobra. Before I finished, I saw Pat's gutted k-jet fuel distributor in for sale and bought it instead. Here's pictures of the prototype pieces for my DIY adapter flange (click on pics for full size)

Left to right are: 4x3 PVC closet flange, piece of 4" DWV PVC pipe, piece of 4" PVC Coupler. The O.D. of the 4" Coupler is just slightly larger than the original K-Jet fuel distributor plate. I trimmed a small step on the coupler using a table saw, but a router table would have done better. I'd planned on adding an aluminum plate to mount the closet flange to the airbox (and to cover up the rest of the opening), sanding it, and painting it black.

Edit: see this link for the air intake snorkel mod:
http://www.turbobricks.com/mods.php?content=art0003

Last edited:
for those who are +T-ing a street car. what are good options for relocating the washer fluid reservoir if using either D- or K-jet airboxes?

240TurboWWBottle1_zpsd56f5d97.jpg

I was thinking for my build the easiest could possibly be a bag like this rear windshield washer reservoir/bag that is used in FJ60 series Toyota Landcruisers. Granted it doesn't hold anywhere near as much as a stock reservoir, but should be pretty easy to tuck just about anywhere. And I could live with just refilling it more often. Just my idea.

attachment.php

The Toiletta colostomy / catheter bag?

:lol:

The washer fluid tank can be relocated to the driver side like on 240t or 240 diesel models. The brackets are hard to find but I believe the fluid tank can still be bought new. People have also installed a tank on the inner fender on passenger side.

Hey, don't be hating on the Landcruisers... IMHO they are a 4x4 with the reliability of a 240. I've owned 40/60/62/80 and the super elusive in the state 79 series and they are rock solid and very over engineered. But I do find your analogy very comical.

If there are OEM Volvo options available that would be my preferred way to go...

200r4 small lightweight little weak stock but can be upgraded easy, for what the controller costs for the electronic units you can upgrade the weak parts

I was thinking if I can't find a complete airbox, though I may have a line on an "almost" complete one, I would make an adapter similar to what you are talking about, but I'd probably make the entire piece that the "cobra" mounts to out of aluminum and then powder coat it black so it blends in nicely with the rest of the airbox.

My only question with the diesel or turbo washer reservoir is does it interfere with the intercooler plumbing? I assume no if this was what was used in the 240Ts. Moving some of the small electrical items in that area shouldn't be hard. I also thought that with a B230FT swap I would have to use the remote power steering reservoir design vs the integral reservoir design like what is currently on the PS pump in my 240?

Attachments

• DSCN1567.jpg
    DSCN1567.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_2284.jpg
    IMG_2284.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 131
For more pics of adapted turbo airboxes, search for "turbo airbox" in old For Sale ads. This one is fully chromed! http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=332823

These are washer bottle pics from my '85 (copied from old wanted threads, here or here). One washer pump is aftermarket and screwed to side of fender instead of hanging off the bottle.

[BTW: Good Knight and I share hobbyist spare parts hoards. I manage the "South Warehouse" and he both manages the "North Warehouse" and often does the Sales and Shipping.]

Last edited:
According to Tasca Volvo in RI the turbo washer bottle and bracket are still available. Well, at least on their website it is.

Part Number 1312711 is the "cage". $31.46
Part Number 1202379 is the reservoir. $36.90

Attachments

• GR-45977.jpg
    GR-45977.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 121
That looks like the diesel wagon washer bottle that you've circled in red. Turbo bottle has a kink in it and isn't perfectly rectangular, as shown in bobxyz's pics.

^ What Chris said. The turbo reservoir is #36

GR-66505.jpg

The bottle is part #1304149 and is still available.

The brackets part #1304204 and 1312321 are NLA.

If the diesel bottle and bracket are still available would this also work in addition to the turbo set-up or would it interfere with the intercooler piping? Looks like it would allow enough room for the piping.

Attachments

• IMG_2284.jpg
    IMG_2284.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 120
I'm committed now to find an airbox that works with the OEM 240T intercooler since I just bought one off eBay, the cobra style preferably I think. Turbo washer reservoir (possibly) with a custom bracket or get lucky and find a used one.

EDIT: Seller contacted me and said that the intercooler was damaged and refunded my money... So close.

Last edited:
I placed the original 240 na washer fluid reservoir on the side of the drivers side frame rail. Under the power steering pump. Fits like belongs there!

I placed the original 240 na washer fluid reservoir on the side of the drivers side frame rail. Under the power steering pump. Fits like belongs there!

Could you please take a photo of it? Thanks.

I don't believe that the diesel or the 240T washer reservoir would work on a later year, ABS 240+T. It appears to me that the reservior would either interfere with the air intake pipe (from intercooler to throttle body) or the ABS module would be in the way. I haven't actually tried to install one, but I would be surprised if it would fit.

VEneeWs.jpg

You bring up a couple of good points that I have thought about and the reason I am on here asking. Is this your car Wren? If so, where is your reservoir?

My car, a 1991, doesn't have ABS, so there is a bit more room in that area than if it did. I have also noticed that on the older 240T the intercooler enters the intake manifold from the top with a 90 degree "hat" if you will whereas the newer 940 donor 230FT enters from the side parallel to the ground which appears to be the same as the setup in the picture posted above.

My intent is to use, wherever possible, OEM 240T parts for a stock of a setup as possible. If I have to run custom intercooler pipes and hoses then so be it, they will just be black to blend in as much as possible.

I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but I am trying to avoid buying parts that won't fir when I go to put everything together.

The K-jet airbox looks perfect and a plus that it is OEM.

This is my donor 230FT out of a 1995 940 when the time comes.

Attachments

• DSCN3005.jpg
    DSCN3005.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 132
Back