• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

302 into a 740

riceplant

Hey guys. Idk if this is the right section for this post but here we go
Mainly trying to find other people who have swapped a sbf into a 740 specifically. I can find a lot of info on 240s but not really any on 740s
Im still in the blueprinting phase, and needed some info on driveshafts and mounting.
Appreciate it

build thread

This was my foray. Unfortunately I think most (all) of the pics are dead as it was done almost 15 years ago. I went with a 4R70W trans, 8.8 rear, megasquirt and a holset Hx40 turbo.

build thread

This was my foray. Unfortunately I think most (all) of the pics are dead as it was done almost 15 years ago. I went with a 4R70W trans, 8.8 rear, megasquirt and a holset Hx40 turbo.
I appreciate ut but yeah all the pics are dead which kills a lot of the context lol. What driveshaft did you use if you remember? Or was it custom made

It was custom 1 piece. Definitely needed to clearance (read: hammer, death wheel) some stuff to make space as I had some rubbing issues on the tunnel. The other challenge that I never really figured out was the rear subframe. I had 275s on it and with traction the rear subframe would bend, even after plating it for extra strength. If I was going to do it again, I'd probably rip out the subframe and gas tank, build a 4 link, and run a fuel cell.

It was custom 1 piece. Definitely needed to clearance (read: hammer, death wheel) some stuff to make space as I had some rubbing issues on the tunnel. The other challenge that I never really figured out was the rear subframe. I had 275s on it and with traction the rear subframe would bend, even after plating it for extra strength. If I was going to do it again, I'd probably rip out the subframe and gas tank, build a 4 link, and run a fuel cell.
How much power were you putting down? Im trying to go for around 350 but if that's going to start requiring full chassis braces i might just bacm off my power goals

Oh also do you have any measurements saved for the driveshaft or anything? Might just steal yours and get price checks before having too measure out my own lol

Oh also do you have any measurements saved for the driveshaft or anything? Might just steal yours and get price checks before having too measure out my own lol
No way man...I dont even have an pictures of it any more. The car ended in up Columbus ohio and got parted out last I heard.

No way man...I dont even have an pictures of it any more. The car ended in up Columbus ohio and got parted out last I heard.
Gotcha. I have an explorer engine as well. Going to carb swap it. Tfs stage 1 cam. Better valve springs ofc. From what ivr seem i can expect around 280-320 on it. So ill definately look for spots to support and weld braces on. Thanks for that. Wouldnt have even thought about it lol

Gotcha. I have an explorer engine as well. Going to carb swap it. Tfs stage 1 cam. Better valve springs ofc. From what ivr seem i can expect around 280-320 on it. So ill definately look for spots to support and weld braces on. Thanks for that. Wouldnt have even thought about it lol
Box the trailing arms and the subframe at least, and get yourself some spherical bearing torque rods. Idk if the rear will hold up but if you blow it up, 8.8 is the next move.

Back