• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Crazy Bucking in 1st and 2nd (89' 245)

I decided to take a quick look at the unit I installed, the hose looks really good all clamped down tight. I can't remember since it's been about a year but are the plastic bits around the wires supposed to be split?

Sorry for the imgur link I can't get my photos to upload directly.

I'm sorry if I am saying things that have already been checked, But no damage to the MAF or intake Leaks? That is truly what that code could be from, check to make sure the coil in the maf is not damaged, as that can cause it to be lean.
No problem open to any suggestions! It was suggested to test the maf by unplugging it and the car should run a bit better if it's out. My car just had a surging idle and would not drive at all. My maf looks good and has been cleaned a couple times. I went back through my intake and the hoses and fittings are all good. I do know my pcv is messed up and there are other possible vacuum leaks just due to age. Not sure if my busted pcv could be the issue but I have had troubles finding a replacement anyway.

This is my MAF

Where is your PCV messed up? If that is letting air into the intake manifold that can cause some pretty big issues, if anything possibly try to cap off the PCV lines and see if it still surges. Lastly, where are you located? I personally think it would be worth trying to find someone nearby with a maf sensor and an ecu. Your car truly should run decently smooth at idle with the maf sensor unplugged, leading me to think the ECU may be messed up

Where is your PCV messed up? If that is letting air into the intake manifold that can cause some pretty big issues, if anything possibly try to cap off the PCV lines and see if it still surges. Lastly, where are you located? I personally think it would be worth trying to find someone nearby with a maf sensor and an ecu. Your car truly should run decently smooth at idle with the maf sensor unplugged, leading me to think the ECU may be messed up
I do know of a junkyard car that has a MAF in it that I could go get. Its an earlier model lh2.2 though so no ecu for my car. I am located in central Washington State. I have doubts that the ecu failed but I do have a pink label ecu and I have heard those tend to fail. I would think problems would be more severe if that were the case though. The pcv is messed up right before the T pipe so there is very little pressure if at all going into the intake. I wasnt sure if i should just try patching it.

I do know of a junkyard car that has a MAF in it that I could go get. Its an earlier model lh2.2 though so no ecu for my car. I am located in central Washington State. I have doubts that the ecu failed but I do have a pink label ecu and I have heard those tend to fail. I would think problems would be more severe if that were the case though. The pcv is messed up right before the T pipe so there is very little pressure if at all going into the intake. I wasnt sure if i should just try patching it.
Multiple things. Your car has 2.4, that is why you can read check engine codes, 2.2 does still have a computer, any car with electronic fuel injection does, any car from 89-95 with a b230 will have the right MAF, and I think most 240's after 89 will have a computer you can use. My 90 had a bad ECU that caused very similar symptoms, hesitation at low rpms, put a new ecu in and it has been running great since. It is always good to have a spare, both ecu and maf. Is the small vacuum nipple broken off at the T? If the leak is anything more than a vacuum line it could be causing major issues

Multiple things. Your car has 2.4, that is why you can read check engine codes, 2.2 does still have a computer, any car with electronic fuel injection does, any car from 89-95 with a b230 will have the right MAF, and I think most 240's after 89 will have a computer you can use. My 90 had a bad ECU that caused very similar symptoms, hesitation at low rpms, put a new ecu in and it has been running great since. It is always good to have a spare, both ecu and maf. Is the small vacuum nipple broken off at the T? If the leak is anything more than a vacuum line it could be causing major issues
The PCV Is broken off at the engine where the tpipe should go in. You are right that car was an 87 and it was not the same ECU. I dont really have any ECUs available here and id like to test out the issue as much as I can before I start buying a bunch of parts to try on the car.

So it is the larger diameter hose that can suck air in? That needs to be fixed, from my knowlege there is no real restriction at the T so it would be sucking in a lot of air. The code you have is from a messed up maf or an intake leak, or possibly a bad for, though that normally makes it rich. It could also be a bad or dirty O2 sensor. Unplug the vacuum line from the FPR and it should change the idle a bit, take out the O2 sensor and try to clean it.

Back