• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

crosshair headlights!!

^Those are too much. Not the right look. I am not sure cross hairs are even really that cool on Volvos. Its like you are trying to copy some other style of car. Volvos are Volvos they aren't wannabe VW's. Forget VW crap. Rock it out with Volvo stuff. Screw crosshairs I think its lame.

I had the exact same experience that you did. The lights that I wanted to run would not fit in the stock single round buckets.

I got two of the vw lights with buckets and retrofit them to use the existing volvo light backing plate. I had to drill out the three spot welds that hols on the metal bracket to the backing plate and grind out a little bit but other than that I literally bolted the two assemblies together and they fit about perfect. Sit centered in the grill opening.

The only thing that I miss is the chrome ring on the outside.

The up side is that lights are now cheap and easy and the adjusters are a bit better.

If you tear into it you will find it goes together pretty easy but does take a couple of hours.

Sean

you guys need to get over relating everything to VWs. grow up

chirish1234 said:
That^ not everything is done by VW. No VW came from the factory with cross eyes. You put tires on your car? That's so VW.

word. ive always liked the crosshair look and honestly thats all that matters...i just wanted to know if itd be possible to do...also the reason im doing is so i can replace my old rusty headlight frames with new ones from a vw

but this whole "vw" thing is getting old :grrr:...maybe its time for a new rwd volvo forum to more updated/open minded people (no offense to anyone)

I had the exact same experience that you did. The lights that I wanted to run would not fit in the stock single round buckets.

I got two of the vw lights with buckets and retrofit them to use the existing volvo light backing plate. I had to drill out the three spot welds that hols on the metal bracket to the backing plate and grind out a little bit but other than that I literally bolted the two assemblies together and they fit about perfect. Sit centered in the grill opening.

The only thing that I miss is the chrome ring on the outside.

The up side is that lights are now cheap and easy and the adjusters are a bit better.

If you tear into it you will find it goes together pretty easy but does take a couple of hours.

Sean

cool...doesnt sound too hard so i might be ordering them soon? u have any pics of the build or final product?

Seriously. Is there an advantage? Or are they just a styling thing?

They almost remind me of the Y-shaped pattern that cars from the 30's had.

SuperStock_1895-4726.jpg

Its much cheaper to piece parts together. Plus, I couldn't find the right bulb color/headlight combo.

You want ~4200-4500? color bulbs.

Test the beam pattern before you install, you might not like it or it'll scatter all over the place and piss off oncoming traffic.

It doesn't take much to install a couple of decent projectors into a plastic shell clear lens 7" lamp. You'll get way better results than installing a set of re-based capsules in there.

Knock on wood this worked great on an old BMW I owned. The smoked lenses are more appropriate, and sometimes I'll separate the glass the flatten the sheen on the reflector inside.

Knock on wood this worked great on an old BMW I owned. The smoked lenses are more appropriate, and sometimes I'll separate the glass the flatten the sheen on the reflector inside.

Good luck. It's hit or miss.

Are those E-code lamps?

It's hit or miss with using rebased H4 xenons. Some lamps project at or near perfectly, while some others don't.

Homer's does. (square 240 E-code lamps) but mine (780 E-code lamps) scattered a bit too much over the top of the beam. In my case it may be a matter of dirty reflectors. So I removed them.

But like I said, the ideal color you want is in the 41-4200? to 4500? kelvin. Even up to 5 or 6,000? is passable, but I wouldn't go higher than that.

The higher the kelvin the bluer the light, but the dimmer it becomes. The lower it is the more yellow, but the brighter it becomes. I've seen guys with ridiculous green HIDs that barely light anything up because the light transmission is in the 11-1,200 lumen range.

Well again, I've frenched the lenses, so although I'm picking a very bright white temperature, the final color will be a shade of yellow. This worked quite well before so I'll likely use the same components as I already know they'll work.

Cheers

Why not just buy the 7" round HIDs? Or are you gutting them and installing projectors?

This is coming from using 4x6's with projectors and installing yellow film on them, but my suggestion from a daily driver perspective is: Don't.

Go with the Ecodes. With the quad rects I have some room to play with crappy reflectors, projectors and other chinabay bull****. The light output LOOKED fine, but when you get in the car and actually want to see something? There's nothing. I can't even tell where the light falls from the new headlights, honestly.

I replaced them because one of my higbeams was burnt out, and I wanted to see if the eBay projectors actually did anything. Plus I was going for a look, and I figured why not? If it doesn't work out I still have my low beams for 99% of my driving and can always upgrade to ecodes later. But if I'd have run these as my lows, I'd be in serious trouble.

6625345407_73cd079a6e_z.jpg

Back