• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Early '76-78 M46 overdrive switch confusion

spock345

I just rebuilt and installed an early '76-78 M46 today and noticed something odd when I had it all wired up just like the diagram in the '77-78 greenbook but it let me enter overdrive in all gears, including reverse (I have not reversed the car with an enabled overdrive).

What in the world is going on here?

The 4th gear lockout switch isn't working properly. It should only pass current when in 4th gear.

Then you need this switch. The original 2 prong switch was replaced with this dual function 3 prong one. You need to determine which 2 prongs make contact when in 4th gear. We have a bunch of these in storage and will give you a better price than VP if you need one.

Then you need this switch. The original 2 prong switch was replaced with this 3 prong one. You need to determine which 2 prongs make contact when in 4th gear. We have a bunch of these in storage and will give you a better price than VP if you need one.
I'll check if I have one on one of my m40/41 top covers. If not I'll reach out.

I do want to say borrowing those tools from you made this job easy and the four speed section shifts so nicely with new synchros and bearings.

Yeah, it's the same switch used on late M40/M41 top covers for reverse lights and seat belt warning light.

Back