• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

New 240 Owner

motorstereo

New member, new owner-- after looking for a year, I just picked up a 1990 240 wagon, 5 speed, with 242,000 miles in early August. I drove it home and she ran flawlessly for the 300 mile trip. She's really a champ and I already love this car (and my 16 year old son told me he wants it when I'm done with it!). She's a little rough around the edges and there are lots of things I need to do, but it was cared for and I do have service records from the PO.

If anyone here is in or around Nashville, I'd love to learn more about wrenching on these cars. I plan on changing the oil soon (I have the Mann oil filters) and am looking into replacing the head gasket (block is covered in oil, but it does not overheat; I want to address it before it gets worse). I figure it will take solid a day or two since I haven't done one of these before. I have the Bentley manual.

Attachments

• IMG_3530.jpg
    IMG_3530.jpg
    461.3 KB · Views: 16
  • rear34.jpg
    rear34.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 16
Congrats on the 240 purchase, and good move getting a later model car that is much easier to deal with.

I wouldn't worry about the head gasket, oil everywhere is a reality on any order (and plenty of newer) vehicles. If you want to address it I'd hose down the engine with degreaser and a pressure washer and watch for current leaks. Likely a combination of valve cover gasket, front seals and PCV system leaks, every 240 needs those done and most owners ignore them.

Congrats on the 240 purchase, and good move getting a later model car that is much easier to deal with.

I wouldn't worry about the head gasket, oil everywhere is a reality on any order (and plenty of newer) vehicles. If you want to address it I'd hose down the engine with degreaser and a pressure washer and watch for current leaks. Likely a combination of valve cover gasket, front seals and PCV system leaks, every 240 needs those done and most owners ignore them.
Thanks ! I wanted a 5 speed and LH Jet ( I’ve had some, lets say interesting experiences with K Jet) and this one was well loved, and apparently garaged and had regular service at the dealership.

I will give the engine a good cleaning/degreasing. Hopefully it’s just seals etc, but I noticed the coolant in the expansion tank looks contaminated. The oil however looks and smells fine on the dipstick.

Welcome to the club (I also just bought a white 245, a '93 automatic).

I'm curious if this is an LH2.4 car or LH3.1. 3.1 was used on manual trans 240s starting in '90 I believe (I had a '90 244 5spd that was 3.1, and my '92 244 5spd was originally 3.1 but converted to 2.4 to add a turbo using the factory LH2.4 computers).

The ECU located behind the panel on the the passenger side kick panel to the right of your feet when seated, will be -572 if it's LH3.1, or (I believe) -561 if LH2.4. The white label ECUs are better than the brown or pink label, and the later -951 ECU was the better/best LH2.4 non-turbo ECU as I recall, but a '90 probably has one with a '5xx' number as the last three digits of the p/n on the label. You can also ID the LH3.1 system by the air mass meter that will have a 4-pin plug instead of a 6-pin plug (Only 5 pins actually used in the 2.4 harness). And the throttle position sensor is different, I believe the p/n ends -001 and it's a potentiometer style instead of a click on/off type. LH3.1 is fine when it works, but the brown label ECU might be a weak point so do look for a backup. I acquired my '90 sedan for $250 because it had a dead ECU and the owner couldn't afford a new one and couldn't find a used one (took me almost 6 months to run across one).

Head gasket -- it's probably fine. But do investigate the coolant discoloration just in case. Could just be rust, etc. discoloration if a previous owner ran straight water for a while and then switched back to using coolant.

The breather box on the intake side, under the intake manifold, can be a source of oil leakage. Could be disconnected or broken vac lines under there, too. I've also had a front cam seal pop out and dump oil down the front of the engine. The valve cover gasket may leak down the exhaust side, my '87 cylinder head was BLACK on the exhaust side from oil leakage + road grime collecting. Give it a good cleaning and then look for the leak(s).

There's also a big rubber/metal plug in the back of the cylinder head that can leak, but that just dumps down the back of the engine. That plug usually come with a valve cover gasket set for the '85+ engines. I will usually give it a light coating of grey RTV around the edge when installing it. If you do end up taking the head off, you can fabricate a metal strip to screw into the back of the head that holds that plug from potentially popping out (IPD sells the metal piece but you can easily make one for a lot less). The valve cover gasket goes over the front and rear cam caps and at the bottom of each cam cap the gasket makes a sharp bend...that's a spot where I will dab a tiny amount of grey RTV at those corners to help it seal. Some people are very against RTV, some over do it. I try to use it sparingly.

An alternative that I like is Hylomar blue, a non-setting gasket sealer (credit: MikeP!). This stuff is great on the thin paper water pump gaskets because you need to slide the pump up against the underside of the head to seal against a rubber o-ring gasket, and that sealer allows the pump to move and also ensures you won't have to take it off because the gasket didn't seal. Speaking of the water pump, the square-profile o-ring that goes on the metal water pipe and fits into the back of the water pump is another place I've used a light coat of grey RTV.

The M47 trans uses Type F ATF but you can also use Redline MTL or Amsoil Super Shift. I suggest changing the fluid and overfill it as much as you can. With the car jacked up on one side you should be able to get a bit extra in.

If the shifter feels sloppy, replace the plastic bushings around the pivot ball. The boot comes up, either M6x1.0 bolts w/washers or just push in plastic plugs. The shift knob pulls off, straight up (no set screw, just pull hard). There's a reverse detent plate that guides a plastic bushing to help engage 1st/2nd gear easily, so check alignment of that plate when you put it back together. Then a snap ring you can pop out with a pick & pocket screwdriver. Underneath, there's a set screw on the underside of the shift lever that goes against a pin that locates the shift lever to the selector on the trans. With all that undone, you can remove the shifter from above and dig out the bushing / rubber o-ring front the shifter cage and replace that. I believe you have to also disassemble the shift lever to get the new one on. There's a roll pin through the side of the chrome shifter, drive that out and the chrome part slides up off of the steel lower section.

Those are just a few things that come to mind. Feel free to start a new thread in the Maintenance section with specific questions or even start a Project thread to track and document progress.

-Michael

Very cool. Especially the manual transmission. The oil filler caps tend to leak and to prevent that I change the seal inside the cap every couple oil changes or so. May want to keep that in mind.

Welcome to the club (I also just bought a white 245, a '93 automatic).

I'm curious if this is an LH2.4 car or LH3.1. 3.1 was used on manual trans 240s starting in '90 I believe (I had a '90 244 5spd that was 3.1, and my '92 244 5spd was originally 3.1 but converted to 2.4 to add a turbo using the factory LH2.4 computers).
My 90 245 with m47 is 2.4, as far as I can tell it is factory.

New member, new owner-- after looking for a year, I just picked up a 1990 240 wagon, 5 speed, with 242,000 miles in early August. I drove it home and she ran flawlessly for the 300 mile trip. She's really a champ and I already love this car (and my 16 year old son told me he wants it when I'm done with it!). She's a little rough around the edges and there are lots of things I need to do, but it was cared for and I do have service records from the PO.

If anyone here is in or around Nashville, I'd love to learn more about wrenching on these cars. I plan on changing the oil soon (I have the Mann oil filters) and am looking into replacing the head gasket (block is covered in oil, but it does not overheat; I want to address it before it gets worse). I figure it will take solid a day or two since I haven't done one of these before. I have the Bentley manual.
I just joined and am a local to nashville guy...have a decent 86 244 that I am working on...

Back