• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Tail of the Dragon - Oct 28, 2012

schaff70

here's a teaser clip from this morning. GoPro mounted to the top of the bumper near the driver's side headlight. I also had my GoPro HD2 mounted inside the car.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KoQ_-ll3P48" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

183978_3739533408552_334874546_n.jpg

More photos & video to follow tomorrow.

Last edited:
We left Portsmouth around 5:30 Friday night. The drive down was long and pretty uneventful. We got some texts along the way from people checking in on us which was cool. got to the hotel at about 2am.

Saturday morning we got up & did a quick photo shoot up the road from the hotel.

DSC_8398.jpg

Aaron's pictures should be better, I'm still getting used to the new D300 from work. Most of my photos were overexposed, so I'm sure it's a camera setting that needs adjusted.

Everybody else from urbobricks either couldn't make it or ditched on us, so we were on our own. The hotel wound up being another hour from the start of the Tail, so we headed out.

At Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort we stopped & talked with this kid in a really well built Civic hatchback turbo.

DSC_8415e.jpg

DSC_8443.jpg

DSC_8442.jpg

DSC_8445.jpg

DSC_8444.jpg

The first run was fun & we got a good feel for the car. The downside was on the return trip we got stuck behind some asshat on a Can-Am who did 20 around the corners and refused to pull off & let us pass.

After our first run a bunch of BMW guys showed up. One kid ran over to my car really happy to see another Volvo. Apparently he has had a set of RCI Engineering (?) 45lb injectors from his old Volvo sitting in his car for about a year. He sold them to me for $100 just to get rid of them.

DSC_8439.jpg

DSC_8417.jpg

DSC_8438.jpg

DSC_8429.jpg

A group of S2000's showed up a little bit later.

DSC_8432.jpg

This black AP1 was really well done.

DSC_8433.jpg

DSC_8434.jpg

We wound up making 2 full runs on the road - once each way. We started a second full run, but stopped halfway and turned around after hearing some load complaints from the left front wheel bearing. With the elevation at 1900 ft and minimal guardrails on the one side, we decided to just call it & head back.

DSC_8449.jpg

Just before we left a guy pulled up in a T-Rex.

DSC_8455.jpg

The coolest thing being he was handicapped and in a wheelchair. He had an air activated shifting system installed.

DSC_8453.jpg

We left about 10 minuted before he did taking the more spirited route home. This guy caught up to us in no time. I slowed down to let him pass and tried to keep up for a bit, but he left us in his dust.

On the way home we picked up a set of wheels in Asheville for BoostIt and delivered them to Raleigh where we met Manbeard for some dinner.

Finally got home last night at about 12:30.

1300+ miles in 32 hours.

i was in the passenger seat looking ahead to see if it was clear, he was focused on the corner.

/codriver

First half of our first run in-car footage. We had to pull over to change the e-fan fuse.

I know I was over the double yellow, but Aaron was in the passenger seat & calling out whether the corner was clear or not. For the most part I was in 2nd gear around 4k rpm and sometimes in 3rd. We got up to 60 a couple times but only for a short sprint.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LXrElMLwmwM?list=UUgTe6hHo-DcITEUCW5TgtzA&hl=en_US" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In car part 2

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kjPqQmVm5ao" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Same drive with the external camera

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dCDJyeZ4mqg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vOFEqxKDSuc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
i was in the passenger seat looking ahead to see if it was clear, he was focused on the corner.

/codriver

I am playing devil's advocate. On a road with that much stigma involving people chopping corners and plowing head on into a motorcyclist, well, it's just sort of one of those things. I ride two wheels as well and the regularity that people drive that way on the Dragon is one of the reasons I have not ever brought the bike(of course, motorcyclists are also a part of the problem, don't get me wrong).

Besides, having been several times via four wheels, I can say that staying within your lane and making a run is far more challenging than smoothing out the corners, making it far easier to navigate.

Just some food for thought. I'm not knocking you guys, obviously you made it back in one piece. I just get on anyone's case I see driving like that on 129.

Steve

Point taken. We had safety in mind the entire time and clear visibility of the road ahead thanks to the foliage being mostly gone.

He took a couple good pics of my 760 when I did that drive. Also got some of the BMW, but not the CVPI. Guess it looked enough like a real cop car that he ignored it.

dude, your car looks so damn good. i need to get internet back so i can post the pictures i took. (im at school right now)

been playing with photoshop, so some of them look a little silly :-P

Back