• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

vented vs solid rotors on 240

Jack

junkman
let me know if Im wrong
If I remember right you only need to swap calipers and rotors to go from solid to vented front rotors on 240

large vs small bearing hub/spindle plays no difference ?

Threw vented on my 242, just needed rotors and calipers, didn't know there were different hubs.
spindles, now that I think about it, its probably just the bearing size and spindle that Im thinking of

but thanks, I got options now. rotors are pads on the 81 are pretty much brand new but the calipers could use a rebuild. I have a bunch of vented calipers and rotors sitting. I'm thinking that if I'm going to rebuild anything I should just do the vented calipers

let me know if Im wrong
If I remember right you only need to swap calipers and rotors to go from solid to vented front rotors on 240

large vs small bearing hub/spindle plays no difference ?
Yes, I did that on my 1980 and was fine. I think the spindle issue is with earlier cars though.

A 1980 would still have small spindles if it's a 240. The larger spindles started with the 260 and in 81 they went to the larger spindle on 240.
My fanciful mind likes to think the upgrade was done in preparation for racing the turbo models and homologating the large spindle with the FIA.

The spindle is not the issue, the vented rotors and calipers are needed to change over to make them work. I put them on my '78 V8 wagon, cross drilled, BTW front and rear. All of our wagons [4] have cross drilled rotors. Will do my wife's S60 now that we have gotten home from our trip out West.

A 1980 would still have small spindles if it's a 240. The larger spindles started with the 260 and in 81 they went to the larger spindle on 240.
My fanciful mind likes to think the upgrade was done in preparation for racing the turbo models and homologating the large spindle with the FIA.
The spindles off a 79 264 I cut up had small bearings
maybe it was just easier on the production line
pqkNUmx.jpg

so an 82' non-abs doing ventilated brakes would not have this issue with the ventilated discs and wider calipers?

Back