• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1982 under bonnet fuel filter

Murploid1

I want to change my fuel filter as I have some issues with my main fuel pump. Looks easy and is under the bonnet on the 1982 240 model, however I cannot seem to get the bolts to move - the are completely seized...

Any ideas?

Blast with WD40 and leave for a few hours? Doesn't look like that will do a thing...

I don't want to force it too much and damage anything.

Use PB blaster or even better Kroil if you can get some. Let sit for a couple of days. spray it up a few times during that wait. Use something like very large slip joint pliers to hold the body of the filter. Use an impact gun to remove the large fitting bolt on the outside end.

Use two long wrenches on the fitting toward the inside of the car. A flare nut wrench will fit on one and an open end on the fitting on the filter. Set them up so you can squeeze the wrenches together for loosening.

Seal the fitting and washers with a thread sealant like liquid teflon or loctite 592. Then you won't have to make them so tight to seal and will be easy to remove for the next filter change. Use new sealing washers.

Back