• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 '90 DL Stalls When Driving

mossymemedogg

Hello everybody,

I have been having some issues with my 240 for some time now, The car starts okay but it occasionally stalls out after hitting a significant bump or pothole, it will start back up after it dies but it cranks over a lot before it starts. It idles and drives fine, it only seems to stall after going over a bump.

So far I have replaced in this order; fuel pressure regulator, distributor, plugs, plug wires, main fuel pump+filter, in-tank fuel pump, fuel pump relay.
I am not very experienced mechanically and it is becoming frustrating replacing all this stuff and still having issues with the car.

Any thoughts about what could be the problem?

See if it stalls if you jiggle the key. Otherwise, I'd guess wiring for your ignition trigger is flaky, either at the distributor or the crank position sensor at back of the block (LH2.2 or 2.4, respectively). Other things that like to shake loose over sharp bumps: loose fuse holders. Check the fuses, make sure they're all copper or brass contacts or the glass tube style while you're at it, and make sure they're all nice and tight, not loose/super easy to spin or jiggle around.

Sounds like a connection/wiring problem to me if it's from a good jounce. Check grounds and connectors as well as double check your fuse block for corrosion.

No help, most likely something electrical, thinking CPS. But quick question. Does it happen with a full tank of gas or only when low? I ask because you mentioned you replaced the in-tank pump but did not say anything about the small rubber hose from pump to tube. Could be an issue.

No help, most likely something electrical, thinking CPS. But quick question. Does it happen with a full tank of gas or only when low? I ask because you mentioned you replaced the in-tank pump but did not say anything about the small rubber hose from pump to tube. Could be an issue.

So far since I replaced the pump it has had a full tank, I did not replace the small section of hose, it looked to be in decent condition when i did the pump.

Don't forget to jiggle the wiring for the engine speed sensor. It is at the back of the engine on the firewall. They fail especially if your car still has an original one.

so far I went to go try to figure some thing out, the crank position sensor wires look okay but i am going to test them with the car running, the car started fine this morning but it wouldn't even start. I used a multi meter to test the voltage across the ignition coil and with the multimeter connected to the positive and negative blades of the coil, i tried to start it and it fired right up, ran for a few seconds then died, displaying ~.7v at idle. An ignition trouble shooting guide i read on volvoforums.com said that if there is .7-1.3v across the terminals of the coil it should be replaced. I am thinking of stopping by advanced auto and grabbing one of the MSD Blaster 2 coils, will this work in my car?

Slow down. Put down the parts gun. Do some diag.

When the car doesn't restart is there spark? Start there. If no spark consider tossing a powerstage at it as an educated guess. Crank sensor is another common one. And fuel pump relay. Learn to diag these with a test light and a wiring diagram.

Slow down. Put down the parts gun. Do some diag.

:nod:
The Parts Cannon Approach can be quite expensive and take just as long as properly working through diagnostic procedures and flow charts to pinpoint the one or two failed components. But hey, at least you'll have a dozen other new parts.

Back