Turbobricks Forums

Turbobricks Forums (https://forums.turbobricks.com/index.php)
-   projects & restorations (https://forums.turbobricks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Jared's '79 5.3 244 Project: The Qwikbrik (https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=236159)

propav8r 11-12-2012 01:54 AM

I've never actually "bench-bled" a master. Always found it easier to bleed it attached to the booster and by pumping the pedal with the lines looped back into the reservoir, but that's neither here nor there.

smokeyfan1000 11-12-2012 11:45 AM

I find cracking loose then resnugging the 2 lines on the old M/C, then loosening the two M/C mtg nuts. Then I always bench bleed the new M/C in a vise,(with the supplied plastic lines) and pump the piston in s-l-o-w-l-y until I see *absolutley no bubbles at all*.

Then I swap out the old for the new quickly. It's always worked well for me.

I do not see how bleeding the M/C on the car by oneself, would allow one to watch for the absence of bubbles in the M/C reservoir.

propav8r 11-23-2012 10:12 PM

Snagged some really nice seats from a Hyudai Tibron today during the 1/2 price sale at the new Charlotte LKQ. Picked up a pair of seats for $24. They're extremely comfortable, and are damn near bolt-in.

Got ahold of an upholstery shampooer today, so tomorrow I'll clean and hopefully install them.

They look like this:
http://us.autos1.yimg.com/img.autos....17_346x270.jpg

M.H. Yount 11-23-2012 11:02 PM

Nice!

ahawks9er 11-24-2012 10:31 AM

Cool! Always great to have another sporty seat doner option... They look great.

M.H. Yount 11-24-2012 11:06 AM

Pics after the install. You get to test 'sit' them in the junk yard I guess? Sometimes those highly bolstered seats are bit less comfortable for folks who wear XL shirts. :)

propav8r 11-25-2012 03:17 AM

Haha these actually fit me well. Derrick slid around in them though lol.

The passenger's side went in relatively easy-all I had to do was remove the Hyundai track sliders, and cut four 2" long pieces of scrap steel-one 17/64" hole tapped to M8x1.25 for a bolt into the seat frame, and one 3/8" hole for the stud off the Volvo slider.

I'm taking lots of pics, and will do a writeup when I'm done.

Driver's side is being a pain though...to get around the base height adjuster, which I want to keep, and is a pretty complex gear system, I'm having to offset the seat about an inch towards the outside. I'm having a tough time keeping the sliders straight and true so that it bolts into the car no problemo.

Oh well. It's 2am...time to go to bed for tonight, and tackle it in the morning.

propav8r 11-25-2012 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahawks9er (Post 4400537)
Cool! Always great to have another sporty seat doner option... They look great.

These looked much better after 2 hours with a carpet shampooer getting all the butt sweat, dirt, and blood (car was in a wreck...blood spatter all over the windshield :barf:) out of them.

They're about the same weight as the 240 seats, and as an added bonus for 242 drivers, the Tiburon is a 2-door, so the seats flip forward!

nathaninwa 11-25-2012 03:40 AM

Them seats are great looking.

M.H. Yount 11-25-2012 10:15 AM

You use Grade 8 or better hardware Jared?

smokeyfan1000 11-25-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propav8r (Post 4401042)
These looked much better after 2 hours with a carpet shampooer getting all the butt sweat, dirt, and blood (car was in a wreck...blood spatter all over the windshield :barf:) out of them.

They're about the same weight as the 240 seats, and as an added bonus for 242 drivers, the Tiburon is a 2-door, so the seats flip forward!

Do they recline all the way back, like the Volvo 242 , 244 & 245 seats?

MrBill 11-25-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M.H. Yount (Post 4401135)
You use Grade 8 or better hardware Jared?

oil pan bolts a la brett

So how much lower do you sit? 240 seats are.. tall.

propav8r 11-25-2012 04:33 PM

I'd say 2-3" lower. Much more comfortable being that I'm 6'2". With the Volvo seats, my head would hit the roof over bumps sometimes.

propav8r 11-25-2012 04:47 PM

Finished product:

http://i.imgur.com/FsmeV.jpg

The Full Banana 11-25-2012 05:02 PM

They are kinda goofy looking, but they do seem like they'd be comfortable! I just put mkII trophies in mine and love it.

propav8r 11-25-2012 05:14 PM

They look a little out of place, but the trade-off for improved comfort and support is worth it.

Homer 11-25-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Full Banana (Post 4401389)
They are kinda goofy looking, but they do seem like they'd be comfortable! I just put mkII trophies in mine and love it.

I wish those came in black. :(

propav8r 11-25-2012 05:34 PM

I would've liked to find some MkII recaros, but I looked for a long time and never could.

M.H. Yount 11-25-2012 06:10 PM

Don't know what the oil pan bolts are rated at - I'd be surprised if they're high strength due to the low clamping force most of them need to deliver. Just trying to keep you safe Jared. The factory seat is designed to stay in place and, along with the harness, keep you in place. In the event of an accident if seat hardware fails, an incident that might normally result in little damage to you or your passenger could result in a LOT of damage if the seat goes on a tour of the interior - or the exterior. Had a buddy that learned it the hard way in an SCCA incident -- broken back. Resulted in a change in the annual safety inspection protocol for the region. It seems like a minor thing I know - just bolt the seat in. But it's a very significant piece of hardware if you're to stay as safe as you can inside the car.

And they look pretty nice in the picture - at least to me!

The Full Banana 11-25-2012 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homer (Post 4401401)
I wish those came in black. :(

You could always dye them, or have them reupholstered. Find a set cheap and go crazy on them!

smokeyfan1000 11-25-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M.H. Yount (Post 4401437)
Don't know what the oil pan bolts are rated at - I'd be surprised if they're high strength due to the low clamping force most of them need to deliver. Just trying to keep you safe Jared. The factory seat is designed to stay in place and, along with the harness, keep you in place. In the event of an accident if seat hardware fails, an incident that might normally result in little damage to you or your passenger could result in a LOT of damage if the seat goes on a tour of the interior - or the exterior. Had a buddy that learned it the hard way in an SCCA incident -- broken back. Resulted in a change in the annual safety inspection protocol for the region. It seems like a minor thing I know - just bolt the seat in. But it's a very significant piece of hardware if you're to stay as safe as you can inside the car.

This is TB. Home of Tie Wraps & JB Weld:lol:

But you're 100% correct. I tried to tell someone else about it before. Wasn't received well.........

MrBill 11-25-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M.H. Yount (Post 4401437)

Brett used them on his pressure plate and they sheared. twas joke

propav8r 11-26-2012 12:52 AM

Yeah, I used 10.9 stuff. Took me a cross town trip, but I found what I needed. All the brackets I made are 1/4" plate. They're the heaviest metal on the seats...shouldn't go anywhere.

The Full Banana 11-26-2012 12:56 AM

12.9 allen cap screws is where it's at

M.H. Yount 11-26-2012 09:35 AM

:cool: