• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1984 242 the "back burner"

OK, so I said I would do a project thread, and I'm doin it. Now.

The reason I'm calling it the back burner right now is because the whole back end was in an awesome fire! It burned very hot and fairly quick from what I can tell. (We believe someone flung a cocktail at the window. Ultimately regardless of what happened, the rear window was a point of impact and it SAVED the car.)

You have probably seen some of these pics before but I decided to start at the beginning.

Pics:
242-1005.jpg

242-1038.jpg

242-1001.jpg

242-1004.jpg

242-1037.jpg

This was an easy fix. :rofl: Rear window removed it self on the way home (every bump helped just a little bit). So I tarped her up when I got home.

Part of the deal in me buying it from the guy was that he would give me a rear window a new trunk lid and a couple other things because in reality I paid too much for this thing and maybe the guy felt bad bending me over so badly.

First thing I took care of was the trunk lid and then the rust on the rear part of the car. AMAZINGLY the rust didn't eat through the metal of the body itself. So I sanded and primed it and so far it has held fairly well. Then onto the window, what a bundle of joy! Took about an hour to get it seated properly and there are still no leaks to this day.

Here are some other pics before I bought her:
242-1022.jpg

242-1020.jpg

242-1016.jpg

242-1013.jpg

Pics of the superb sand/prime job:
Spring08011.jpg

Spring08016.jpg

After I finally sort of had the car working decently, I essentially ripped the whole interior out to clean and get rid of the "I'm still on fire" smell. Back seat out, back door panels out, rear carpet, gone. Took the front seats out cleaned the carpets, still it all smelled.

Needless to say I didn't drive it much. Eventually I stuck an pine tree in it and things got remarkably better. With me finally liking the car again, I decided to swap to the flat hood.

2008-10-26_00001.jpg

2008-10-26_00002.jpg

2008-10-26_00004.jpg

2008-10-26_00008.jpg

I got the front buckets, and lights from someone on here(switched to H7 autoPal housings though), and then a friend randomly messaged me one day and said he knew someone who had a flat hood. The deal was made, and I paid for it at the Volvo's at the Gilmore 2008 show. Then another friend who lived in Michigan at the time actually picked it up for me and brought it with in a reasonable distance so I could pick it up.

Also during this time I installed the NPR intercooler. I used piping from a 7 series and a little creativity, and it worked! Only problem I had, which was solved with a new clamp, was the TB hose popping off when I hit 15 psi. Also installed at this time was an IPD cam gear (old style... mmm sexay) **No pics of any of that yet... engine bay is scary looking**

Next to come are the front springs... my first endeavor in spring modulation (cutting). **DANGER**

2008-10-26_00001.jpg

2008-10-26_00002.jpg

2008-10-26_00004.jpg

2008-10-26_00008.jpg

I chose some of those pictures because they show how much rake the car actually had. HAHA. The front is actually lower now because I didn't have the front springs on properly so to my surprise it dropped about another .75 inches when I figured it all out. (Thanks Pat D!)

Previously I acquired something absolutely fantabulous. I was bidding on a set of wheels on eBay and I set my "mental" max bid at $600. Well being that the wheels were 16x7 BBS RS's it went OVER $600. Damnit.

2 days later I get a message from the seller saying that the buyer backed out in a mutual agreement and that I could have them for $600 (my last bid price) if I wanted them. About .1 nano-second later the guy had a response saying. YES.

I got them and found out they had a couple bends. One on the lip and then another one very minor on the barrel. The seller said if there were any problems in getting the tire bead to seal we would work out some kind of deal. I purchased my $99ea Falken rt 615's from Vulcan over my vacation in Florida and had them mounted when I got back. Thankfully they sealed!

Now, obviously these wheels were not the Volvo BP. So I had to have adapters made. It just so happens, my friend who brought me the hood had these same exact wheels... in the same exact BP. $280 later we both had sets of .75" thick 5x108 to 5x112 wheel/lug centric adapters. If Todd wouldn't have offered me the extra set he had, I would have still been procrastinating on buying them. (Thank you Todd!)

The only PITA here was having to cut the studs down to size... (hind sight says a thicker spacer would be fine and less cutting would be necessary. Meh.)

2009-07-02_00006.jpg

2009-07-02_00001.jpg

2009-07-02_00002.jpg

2009-07-02_00004.jpg

MMMM RAKE.

More to come later. I'll shoot to get some under hood shots, and some in trunk/cabin shots.
I had to make my own speaker deck (Ghetto).

-Joe

Well, we figure the firebomb was an insurance tactic used by some to get money from their vehicular.

My long term plans are satin black for the car. At which point the wheel color may change as well... we'll see.

I'm gonna snap some under hood shots today. Actually in 15 mins or so.

Interior shots:
Sparco 323 steering wheel (320MM):
242_04_25_2010010.jpg

John G's (Craving boost) short shifter:
242_04_25_2010011.jpg

More random interior shots:
242_04_25_2010007.jpg

242_04_25_2010009.jpg

242_04_25_2010012.jpg

242_04_25_2010013.jpg

242_04_25_2010027.jpg

Pictured is the rear deck I made for the speakers, and the "wall" for the trunk to kind of kill some of the noise I get from back there. (Didn't work all that well)

Also the grinding that had to be done on the steering wheel hub to accommodate the quick release for the steering wheel. The funny thing is, I made such a big deal about getting the quick release... I never remove the wheel haha.

And the new radio location. I guess I just like it better in the glove box. Eventually I have plans for the dash space with gauges and such. But we'll see if it ever pans out. As for the 3 up top, all I did was change out the stock boost gauge to a VDO. No more "in the orange". Instead, 15 psi.
Engine bay shots:
242_04_25_2010014.jpg

242_04_25_2010015.jpg

242_04_25_2010016.jpg

242_04_25_2010018.jpg

242_04_25_2010019.jpg

242_04_25_2010020.jpg

242_04_25_2010021.jpg

242_04_25_2010022.jpg

Forge BOV, Dawes Devices MBC, NPR intercooler. (Not pictured, 7 series DP with no exhuast... running only open DP)
Also pictured, IPD cam gear and totally sweet valve cover.

242_04_25_2010017.jpg
This is kind of one of my favorite stickers.. very stealthy.

My Pal's:
242_04_25_2010023.jpg

Hood carnage:
242_04_25_2010024.jpg

242_04_25_2010025.jpg

The story behind this is as follows. The girl invites me to an early lunch with the fam so I decide what a good opportunity to drive the beast. Well on the way home the car dies out. This is a random issue I have had lately where every now and then the car just kills itself. I have pretty much surmised the problem is the Viper alarm system cutting the battery power to the car. But I love my remote too much (as well as the auto up/down window feature).
So I am taking a turn with a little bit of "zest" and the car dies... DAMNIT. I pull over, take the key out and try and start it again. Nothing. So I figure I'll pop the hood and check that shiz out. I hop out of the car, and then for some reason decide it may be a good idea to start it again.

YAY! It starts.

I close the door and start to drive and then:

FAP BAM BOOM KABLAMNY!!!!!!!!! I'm seeing red. (Literally... the hood is red and it's all I see.)

IDIOT! So I put the hood down, but I ruined my damn hood hinges and curled the edges of the hood as well.

So I pounded the edges down and got new hinges from the JY. But it still hurts to see that the edges will never be the same.

:-(

But now I know every time the viper kills the car, all I do is pop the hood and she starts again. YAY. Weird thing about that though is there is no hood pin. Not sure WTF that is all about or why popping the hood has anything to do with the battery kill.

Hehe... for now I am, yes. But after the K24 goes on we'll see. I'm getting a 405BCP head worked over with 38/40mm valves and hopefully getting a DP soon as well. I can't wait to get this turbo in the car. Should be nice.

Well, we figure the firebomb was an insurance tactic used by some to get money from their vehicular.

Call it what it is. Jewish lightning is not racist. :-P

Gonna be done for MM4?

Regular T cam for right now, possibly Kcam soon or... I don't know. Depends on the head flow I guess.

Hopefully it will be at MM4. We'll see. ;-)

Hehe... for now I am, yes. But after the K24 goes on we'll see. I'm getting a 405BCP head worked over with 38/40mm valves and hopefully getting a DP soon as well. I can't wait to get this turbo in the car. Should be nice.

I've currently got a 405 at a shop in West Bend, WI. R-T Speed Shop. I'm not going with larger valves, but I'll have a fresh 15G mated up to my 3" SAM exhaust and ported exhaust manifold. I'm hoping turn around time will be fast. Are you having port work done to your 405? Member Canuck in Canada can get you a K cam shipped quick and affordable if you're still trying to find one.

I have that 531 for sale if you're ever interested.

:cheers:

Yeah I want this thing worked over pretty hard core.

I should have a decent line on a k-cam... If it is still there haha

Eventually I stuck an pine tree in it and things got remarkably better.
Seriously? I was trying to think of a plant that could survive in a car most of the time, but couldn't come up with anything in the short time I was driving at that point... Some natural smells would be cool.

Seriously? I was trying to think of a plant that could survive in a car most of the time, but couldn't come up with anything in the short time I was driving at that point... Some natural smells would be cool.

Hahah :rofl:

No I'm not using terminal 11 yet... maybe eventually. I will have the WB 02 in soon ... :roll:

I don't know what these are... but I got them in the mail. They will go in this thing I will have a pic of in a few moments. Something about 38mm?

All pics will be clickable.

Back