View Single Post
Old 09-08-2016, 08:38 AM   #11
cleanflametrap
Board Member

I have a scope, as most readers are aware, but I'd let it rest in this case and grab the 30-year-old flowchart. Reasoning is, the flowchart reminds me of which pin does what on the two dizzy configurations. And I know right where to find a paper clip in the garage.

But what is said next reminded me of another situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84B23F View Post
"Necessity is the mother of invention....A need or problem encourages creative efforts to meet the need or solve the problem. This saying appears in the dialogue Republic, by the ancient Greek philosopher Plato."
Problem: New found Volvo friend needs a distributor. It was 15 years ago, but I think the reason was the old crank with the cap off mangling. Regardless of the reason, I planned to stop by the junkyard during my lunch hour and try to find him one. Assuming I had a short opportunity, and getting them out was a lot of work, success would be more likely if I could be sure the Hall sensor worked before deciding to pull the dizzy.

If you rotate the crank until the vane is open at the sensor, a feeler gauge will activate it.

To test it in the pick'n'pull, I needed to supply power to the Hall sensor, and watch its response to a feeler gauge. I understand the pick'n'pulls don't like people testing the parts before selecting them, but that was the risk I took.

Yes Kansas, sometimes ya need to be creative.