• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

All you need to know about the M90

I am afraid you also need to know that nor Volvo, nor anyone can supply you any parts. The M90's tend to leak on the clutch side of the gearbox, draining all oil and wreck the gearbox and then you are screwed. Volvo only gives interchangeble gearboxes for a whopping 1200 euro.

I did fitted the M90 in my Volvo 240. No mod's needed for the bodywork, it just slotted in. I took the gearboxmember from an automatic tranny. This has a flat surface, giving good support for the M90 mount.

I modified the clutch pedal. Moved it upwards into the upper hole of the pedalbox, made the pedal longer, turned the lever upside down and more to the right. Fitted an hydraulic cilinder from a 260. And that was about it. Ow, I made a new "brake" hose. If you are smart with the connections you'll make something nice for sure.

I also made the linking shorter. I just cutted it to length and spalked it with a bracket. The link for the selection was cut and rewelded.

But now I am all done with it. The gearbox is whining in 2, getting out of 3, synchro of 4 is gone (or spacing is bad). And I cannot get spares.

Can anyone help me on numbers of synchro's and bearings ?

I am afraid you also need to know that nor Volvo, nor anyone can supply you any parts. The M90's tend to leak on the clutch side of the gearbox, draining all oil and wreck the gearbox and then you are screwed. Volvo only gives interchangeble gearboxes for a whopping 1200 euro.
You can order new seals from Volvo you know...

And they are not expensive either.

Oh... and usually only the M90H and M90L has that problem.

I did fitted the M90 in my Volvo 240. No mod's needed for the bodywork, it just slotted in. I took the gearboxmember from an automatic tranny. This has a flat surface, giving good support for the M90 mount.

I modified the clutch pedal. Moved it upwards into the upper hole of the pedalbox, made the pedal longer, turned the lever upside down and more to the right. Fitted an hydraulic cilinder from a 260. And that was about it. Ow, I made a new "brake" hose. If you are smart with the connections you'll make something nice for sure.

I also made the linking shorter. I just cutted it to length and spalked it with a bracket. The link for the selection was cut and rewelded.

But now I am all done with it. The gearbox is whining in 2, getting out of 3, synchro of 4 is gone (or spacing is bad). And I cannot get spares.

Can anyone help me on numbers of synchro's and bearings ?
That is trickier though since you can't get that at Volvo. If someone took the gearbox apart and made some measurements I am sure that you could source those items elsewhere though.

The M90L2 has the updated bearings and synchros by the way.

I ordered the rear output seal from FCP groton for $10, but the front seal appears no longer to be a good number.
Anyone order a front seal recently? Recommend a different part number?

You can order new seals from Volvo you know...

And they are not expensive either.

Oh... and usually only the M90H and M90L has that problem.

That is trickier though since you can't get that at Volvo. If someone took the gearbox apart and made some measurements I am sure that you could source those items elsewhere though.

The M90L2 has the updated bearings and synchros by the way.

I ordered the rear output seal from FCP groton for $10, but the front seal appears no longer to be a good number.
Anyone order a front seal recently? Recommend a different part number?
Volvo p/n: 6842480 (It is worth it).

And the o-ring p/n: 978268 (you may want to change this as well).

But, how do I get my hands on one of these M90. None is available in my area.
In Europe.

And no, I can't send you one because of the high price of shipping from Sweden.

Try one of the UK guys.

Shorten the shift linkage.

Get a the driveshaft lengthened.

Sort out a hydraulic clutch.

transmission mount.

Also, if you're putting one in a car that is pre 1986 you will either need to change the rear differential carrier to one from a 1986 car and onwards and use the electronic speedometer from the same car.

You can naturally use the whole rear axle as well.

Or you can do something custom. The point being that the M90 does not have a cable drive for a speedometer.

It doesn't have an oil drain plug either so change the oil before you put it in the car.
I have been reliably informed by...(er I forget) that it needs to be the special Volvo oil for the M90 gearbox and an accurately measured volume of it too.
I do not know how much is in mine but without standing the car on end or taking the gearbox out it is difficult to find out.

Rob

Err, what makes you think that? The M90 has both a filler and a drain plug. Both are on the rear side of the box. Something like a 22mm hex head from memory.

It doesn't have an oil drain plug either so change the oil before you put it in the car.
I have been reliably informed by...(er I forget) that it needs to be the special Volvo oil for the M90 gearbox and an accurately measured volume of it too.
I do not know how much is in mine but without standing the car on end or taking the gearbox out it is difficult to find out.

Rob

Err, what makes you think that? The M90 has both a filler and a drain plug. Both are on the rear side of the box. Something like a 22mm hex head from memory.

Hmm. Ok.
I will have a look again but I could only see one plug about half way up the back of the box.
I must admit I did not jack the car up to have a good look. I crawled under it and had a focusing range of about 2 inches and my nose up against it.
It is late here now so I will look tommorow.

Rob

Can you tell me anything about the M90 that was fitted on diesel engines ?
Yeah. The diesel engines had the same gearboxes as the B230FT/FK of the same year. There is nothing different.

They did however favour the taller gearings available.

Did that answer your question, or was there something more specific you wanted to know?

Back