• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

How to clean a 30 year old gas tank

The 3/8" drive will strip it. I bent a small ~1mm thick piece of scrap metal into an L shape that was 3/8" long and wide. That placed against one corner of my 3/8" drive ratchet worked.

Or you can go next level and grind/taper down some 7/16" (or 1/2"?) square stock bar like hiperfauto did

Went thru all that trouble only to find that my tank had no strainer :lol:

Good idea on the L shape metal bit to fill the opening and make it snug. I also like the idea of grinding down 1/2" square bar stock. Hopefully I'll actually find a strainer once I get this plug removed...

Use a piece of 7/16" square stock. You'll be grinding for a while if you start with ?".

D-JetIFilterPlug.jpg

VP has the pickup filter.

https://vp-autoparts.com/en/artiklar/fuel-filter-1800e_es_140_164_240.html

Check whether you have a metal cleaning/dipping business in your area. Gas tanks run about $75-$150 to have them dipped. It takes everything off them, including the rust. Well worth it if you have a tank that is difficult to find.

On my last rusty 240 tank I just put a ton of rocks in the tank and filled it with gas and or diesel and shook the hell out of it. It will break anything loose and polish away surface rust too.

I just had a radiator shop clean my tank. I don't think they coated the inside or anything and there's a bit of surface rust. Should I do a chemical treatment like ospho or evaporust on the inside?

Just was checking out a Volvo 140 spec sheet from the 70's and it indicates that Volvo used "a lead-lined gas tank" to eliminate rust issues. Anyone able to confirm if that's true and if the lead would likely still be intact under whatever crud still is inside the tank?

Back