• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Sander's 6.0 V12 745 project

I can see how an independent Anti-Block System on a spaceship would be useful :)

Gimme a first start video already!!!!

That'll still be a while unfortunately :-(

You are a lunatic... in the best way possible. An M113 would have been ridiculous enough for most, but not this madman.

Did you replace the valvebody in addition to the TCU integration\bypass work for the paddle shifters?

Thanks! No need to change the valvebody. The only mod I did was drill out one of the oil passages to keep more pressure on the 3rd gear clutch pack during shifting from 3rd to 4th. The stand alone controller can't reduce power during shifting, so without that mod the rpm would flare up during the 3rd to 4th shift. It has full control over the stock valve body and torque converter etc and supports paddle shifters.

...Thanks! No need to change the valvebody. The only mod I did was drill out one of the oil passages to keep more pressure on the 3rd gear clutch pack during shifting from 3rd to 4th. The stand alone controller can't reduce power during shifting, so without that mod the rpm would flare up during the 3rd to 4th shift. It has full control over the stock valve body and torque converter etc and supports paddle shifters.

Gotcha. FYI, I installed a VRP valvebody in my E55 and it significantly reduced shift times. It changed the whole nature of the car on track, as the previous lag between gears was so severe that the rearend would start to unload during mid-turn upshifts.

@Sander: You might want to check Wesley Kagan on YT. He's doing the same sort of thing but putting it in some '73 Corvette.

Sander?. Making progress?
I?m eager to hear the pipe organ!

Not a whole lot to report yet, been working on a very long list of small stuff that needs to be done too. Made a trigger wheel for the cam sensor. Modified the mounting thing for the distributor rotor and added a trigger wheel to that, so it'll hide nicely under the engine cover. Moved the battery to the back and made a mount for it. Installed the Mercedes shifter unit. Just made a simple plate that bolts to the Volvo trans tunnel and has mounting points for the Merc shifter. Just have to move the seat heater switches and make a small new plastic panel to cover the gap and it'll look like it belongs in there. Worked out quite nicely. I needed to use the Merc shifter because my transmission controller needs some of the electronics which are in that unit. Lastly I installed an e-throttle gas pedal out of a V70III. Many things left to do still, but it's slowly coming together.

Spare?

Still look at all your work with admiration.
Just curious. Where will you store the spare wheel?

0prCofW.jpg

Well kinda, no progress on the car but I'm building a new workshop/garage underground in my garden. That's kinda taking all my spare time right now. Will post pics here once it's a bit further along.

Always love reading this thread! Any pictures of this underground workshop? Sounds very interesting.

Sander - what's your plan for getting a signal for the speedometer with the BMW rear end? I've been looking at solutions for my BMW diff - like yours - and how I might be able to fabricate a new tone ring to replace the BMW one with the proper number of sensor holes. Have you come up with anything, or does it somehow tie into your ABS solution?

An underground workshop in the Netherlands??? :wtf: But if anyone is good at building below sea level, it's gonna be you guys ;-)

Haha I live on a hill, no issues with water here :)

Always love reading this thread! Any pictures of this underground workshop? Sounds very interesting.

Sander - what's your plan for getting a signal for the speedometer with the BMW rear end? I've been looking at solutions for my BMW diff - like yours - and how I might be able to fabricate a new tone ring to replace the BMW one with the proper number of sensor holes. Have you come up with anything, or does it somehow tie into your ABS solution?

I have 2 options for that, option 1 is indeed the speedo output of the ABS unit. Option 2 (which I'm going with) is via my transmission controller. The stand alone unit I'm using needs a speed input and can handle basically anything for an input, including the BMW sensor type and tone ring. The controller can then output a fully definable signal for the speedo to read.
Your solution won't work with the BMW sensor in the Volvo btw. BMW uses a different kind of sensor. It's basically a contact point that gets closed by a magnet and opens when the tone wheel gets between it. That way it makes a 5v square wave signal that the Volvo can't read. You need the Volvo sensor too.

I have 2 options for that, option 1 is indeed the speedo output of the ABS unit. Option 2 (which I'm going with) is via my transmission controller. The stand alone unit I'm using needs a speed input and can handle basically anything for an input, including the BMW sensor type and tone ring. The controller can then output a fully definable signal for the speedo to read.
Your solution won't work with the BMW sensor in the Volvo btw. BMW uses a different kind of sensor. It's basically a contact point that gets closed by a magnet and opens when the tone wheel gets between it. That way it makes a 5v square wave signal that the Volvo can't read. You need the Volvo sensor too.

Thanks for the info Sander, that saves me a lot of time going down that rabbithole. Back to the drawing board then!

It's been forever since I have posted anything or done something to the car. This is why. Been building a new garage which will be underground under the garden. The road slopes down around my plot, which is a perfect opportunity to add a garage there and end up with a nice flat garden instead of a slope. This is taking all my free time and will continue to do so until it's finished, but at least I'll end up with a nice workshop (6m x 11m on the inside). To be continued.

Wow! That looks amazing. 6m x 11m is a dream, thats huge. I wish you well on your project, keep us updated!!

Hydraulic lift

Hi Sander, super envious project. What a luxurious working space. Excellent start for automotive 2022. Imagine you making lay outs for the machine parc. Wonder if it is high enough for a hydraulic lift though.

Rijk

Back