• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

What are people running for bigger alternators? Stereo

Wilford Brimley

Is posting from the grave
I'm gonna putting my 2000w rms and 400w rms amps and sub and speakers in my car and I'm sure the stock alt won't love it, what higher power stuff are you guys using

Those alts seem a little small for what I'm doing. Also gonna doing the big 3 upgrade. I thought the rule of thumb was 10amps per 100w rms? I d k that much about alts....I'd love to have a bigger mechman

Those alts seem a little small for what I'm doing. Also gonna doing the big 3 upgrade. I thought the rule of thumb was 10amps per 100w rms? I d k that much about alts....I'd love to have a bigger mechman

10 amps x 12 volts equal 120 watts, if 100% so it is a good rule of thumb

Make sure if you get one it can operate at higher rpms. I’ve been told the larger amperage gm truck cases they sell do not like higher rpms.

Last edited:

Anything you do for an alternator will be a custom setup but it will be worth it.

Make sure if you get one it can operate at higher rpms. I’ve been told the larger amperage gm truck cases they sell do not like higher rpms.

If you have the money to spend I dont think you can do better than a Mechman 6 phase hairpin stator alternator. I dont have a big stereo, just serious AC, so I'm happy with 170 amps, but they make my model up to 370 amps at least. Mine runs at 14.7v steady when cold or hot and with as much load as I can throw at it. Mines in a large GM case.

RPMs shouldn't be an issue. Its rated at 20k rpm, which should work for 6500 rpm engine speed.
Dave

Last edited:
If you have the money to spend I dont think you can do better than a Mechman 6 phase hairpin stator alternator. I dont have a big stereo, just serious AC, so I'm happy with 170 amps, but they make my model up to 370 amps at least. Mine runs at 14.7v steady when cold or hot and with as much load as I can through at it. Mines in a large GM case.

RPMs shouldn't be an issue. Its rated at 20k rpm, which should work for 6500 rpm engine speed.
Dave

I was told certain ones they sell that use that gm case won?t work at higher rpms such as the 400 amp elite model, I should of clarified that. I definitely agree they have the best products. Finding the exact one has been my issue.I found them because of your write up. So thanks. Looks like they are adding lots of new products.

Back