• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

best front brake pads for 242 Turbo??

242crj

Been using Ferodo FDB 549 pads on my Volvo for the last ?? years. getting down to needing to replace. do not dust like factory pads. Great breaking in the mountains, no fade and long life. Anyone know of any dealers or any recommendations on what to look for?
thanks

I've been happy with Porterfield's R4S compound on both the 142 and 242. They don't need a lot temperature to work and they're rotor friendly.

https://www.porterfield-brakes.com/product_info.php?productID=28235

R4-S High Performance Street and Autocross ? For high performance and heavy-duty street conditions. Perfect for prolonged everyday street use while also being capable of tolerating the most severe street use without any fade. Rotor friendly of course. The R4-S friction level will give you an impressive increase in stopping ability with very minimum pedal effort. R4-S compound has the absolute lowest noise and dust levels, far below OEM equipment or any other high performance brake material. Good for autocrossing, some drivers schools, solo events, and rally?s. The R4-S compound is available for virtually any vehicle sold in the US. We also offer the R4-S in pad sizes for competition type calipers that are used under street driven conditions.

EBC Yellow. Great linear grip. Decentish wear for a high perf pad. Not temperature finicky when cold. Dusty but quiet.

Hawk HPS were awesome, BUT were squeaky which drove me nuts and the dust was relentless.

Hawk HPS were awesome, BUT were squeaky which drove me nuts and the dust was relentless.

Hawk HPS - all I've used for years.

I get some squeak - haven't really noticed a big dust issue but I have after market rims.

i have EBC red stuff for about 7 months now.. im really okay with them, but i noticed the cold bite in first few kms is a bit weaker.. but this feeling can be very subjective.

how is the Dust on the wheels??

hiperfauto I've been happy with Porterfield's R4S compound on both the 142 and 242. They don't need a lot temperature to work and they're rotor friendly.

had Porterfield on my 911 and liked them do not know what compound tho. Do these leave a lot of dust ? one of my concerns. don't drive like I did in the 90's anymore....old sucks.

Last edited:
Dusting is minimal from what I can tell, but my wheels are dark grey so it's hard to tell.

They claim they're better than OEM and high performance pads.

R4-S compound has the absolute lowest noise and dust levels, far below OEM equipment or any other high performance brake material.

I like Hawk. Have used HPS and HP+ on our 240 lemons car (but in RX7 calipers). We used HP+ in the rear calipers.

Even though the Hawk pads were much more expensive than volvo brand pads we previously used, they lasted much longer. Roughly equal value, but eliminated the need to watch pad wear closely after each day of endurance racing.

I really liked the volvo pads on my daily driver 240, but the fast wear and significant dusting is good reason to look elsewhere.

Another one here for the Porterfield R4 line.

Used them on two Lemons cars, one with S60R calipers and one with RX7. I'll be trying them on the Bertone with stock brakes.

On the 244 w/S60R brakes, I got about 50 hours/who knows how many miles/5 weekends of racing use out of my first set and they were not even all the way worn. They stop great too, don't take a ton of heat to get them working and they did not eat the rotors.

Back